Jersey County ILGenWeb, copyright Judy Griffin 2005. In keeping with our policy of providing free information on the Internet, data and images may be used by non-commercial entities, as long as this message remains on all copied material. These electronic pages cannot be reproduced in any format for profit or for other presentation without express permission by the contributor(s).
Cooper’s History of Jerseyville, pp. 183-217
Classified Business Directory
Rev. Marshall M. Cooper, History of Jerseyville, Illinois 1822 to 1901, Jerseyville Republican Print, 1901, pp. 183-217. Not a complete transcription, there will be errors, typos.
Soon after the first survey of Jerseyville in 1834, Lott & Dailey erected a building and started a store which was the first store in Jerseyville. Horatio N. Belt was the builder of the store house. In 1835 they sold their stock to George Collins and Benjamin Yates, who carried on the general merchandise business for several years under the firm name of Collins & Yates. In 1837 a second store was started by Adam Clendennen and Edward Coles, but soon closed out the business.
Dry Goods Stores
Benjamin C. Vandervoort
Was born Dec. 29, 1821. In 1858 he came to Jerseyville, and in 1859 established a dry goods business on west Pearl St. In 1867 he erected the brick building known as the Vandervoort block. About the year 1867, I. W. Beardslee became a partner, remaining three years, when he retired. Mr. Vandervoort became sole proprietor, and remained so until his retirement in March 1, 1897. His funeral notice reads as follows: “Died at his home in Jerseyville, Ill., Saturday, May 4, 1901, at 10 o’clock a.m., age 79 years, 4 months and 5 days. The funeral services will be held from the Presbyterian church, Monday, May 6, 1901, at 2:30 p.m. Rev. J. G. Klene officiating.
Nephew of Mr. Vandervoort, immediately on the retirement of his uncle from business March 1, 1897, assumed control of the store, and has since been sole proprietor at the old stand. Mr. Whitehead was for many years previous the trusted clerk, and had a full understanding of the business. He enjoys what truly belongs to him, a liberal share of the patronage of the public.
M. A. Warren & Co.
M. A. Warren was born near Jerseyville, Dec. 8, 1851. He received a business education at the business college, Jacksonville, Ill. In the fall of 1872, age 21, he began his business career as clerk in the dry goods store of Lovell & Smith, with whom he continued one year. At the dissolution of Lovell & Smith, Mr. Warren became partner with Mr. Lovell. They continued in business three years, when Mr. Warren withdrew from the firm and returned to the employ of J. Knox Smith, who, soon after, on account of failing health, sold the business to F. W. Smith & Co., for whom Mr. Warren clerked until September 1880. At that date he formed a partnership with J. Knox Smith, and again engaged in the dry goods business under the name of Smith & Warren. They occupied a store on the old Herdman corner. In Nov. 1884 the store was destroyed by fire, but they continued to carry on business until September 1885, when they moved into a new store built by Geo. W. Herdman. The other members of the firm are W. H. Ellison and W. H. Sturgess, the latter residing in St. Louis, Mo.
Warren-Wiseman Dry Goods Co.
Began business on N. State street by buying out D. G. and H. N. Wyckoff, January 16, 1893. Incorporated March 6, 1900 into Warren-Wiseman Dry Goods Co., with Geo. E. Warren, president, J. J. Wiseman, secretary and treasurer. They carry a full line of dry goods and carpeting. They have enjoyed a lucrative trade from the first, because of their square and honorable dealing, and their rare politeness and generosity shown to their customers. Their clerks are among our best citizens.
Fesenmeyer Senior & Co.
Began business on south State street, April 1898. After three years the firm name was changed to the present name of Fesenmeyer & Senior. Dealers in furnishings and dry goods, cloaks, trunks, notions, etc. Quick sales and small profits, with fair and honest dealing, their motto. The members of the firm are Frank A. Fesenmeyer and George Senior.
Lewis A. Miller
Opened a department store at Nos. 114 and 116 N. State street, Oct. 18, 1896. Carried a full line of dry goods, hats, caps, boots and shoes, with millinery goods. Also queensware, glassware, tinware, with all goods usually found in a first-class department store. Prices always right.
William G. Burnett
Began the dry goods and notion business in partnership with William Rohacek, April 1897, until February 1901, Mr. Rohacek retiring. Since, Mr. Burnett has been sole proprietor. Carries a full line of dry goods, furnishing and notions, at No. 109 south State street. His stock is new and first-class.
Leon Engel, the popular clothier and hatter, established his present business in September 1880. His stock constantly increased, and he now carries one of the largest stocks of clothing, hats, shoes and gents furnishing goods found in this section of the state. He is located on south State street.
H. B. Hill
Began business on south State street, March 18, 1899. Carries a full line of clothing, gents furnishing goods, boots and shoes. Prices always right.
Holmes Clothing Store
S. A. Holmes became proprietor of the shoe and clothing store in 1874. It afterwards became a stock company under the firm name of the Holmes-Hill Shoe & Clothing Store. After Mr. Holmes’ death the business was conducted by H. B. Hill until 1898, when the company was dissolved and Mrs. Holmes assumed control.
Marston & Halliday
J. G. Marston and Levi Halliday formed a partnership and entered the grocery trade in the spring of 1873 at No. 201 North Main street, Jerseyville. After carrying on the above named business 22 years, they changed in the spring of 1897 to a more commodious place which they now occupy on west Pearl St. in the Vandervoort block. They always have, and do still carry a large stock, containing a full line of staple and fancy groceries, queensware, chinaware, crockery, fruits, farm products, usually bought and sold at a first class family grocery store. They have always been considered straight-forward and honorable dealing men.
Scheiner & Woodruff
Entered into partnership in the grocery trade December 1898 at No. 201 N. Main street. They carry a full line of staple and fancy groceries, and are young men worthy of a liberal patronage. They are the successors of Scheiner & Rohacek, who did business at the same stand. The members of the firm are George Scheiner and Geo. H. Woodruff, Jr.
Benj. W. Akard
Began carrying a general line of family groceries, and No. 106 south State St., Feb. 1, 1894. Mr. Akard is one of Jerseyville’s good and reliable business men, and in consequence has a very good trade.
Began the grocery trade on Depot street August 1891. Carries a full line of staple and fancy groceries; also queensware, wooden and tin wares; everything found in a first-class grocery store. His upright dealing has brought him a good trade.
Jacob Wagner has been engaged in the grocery business since 1879. His store is located on north State street, where he carries a complete stock of groceries, glassware and chinaware.
Shafer & Hanley
The reliable grocers. Staple and fancy groceries, lime, cement, hair, queensware, woodenware, paints and oils, corner of Pearl and Washington streets. The members of the firm are Harry W. Shafer and Thomas Hanley.
Thomas W. Butler
First began business on East Pearl St., one door east of State Bank, March 3, 1888. Removed to his present commodious stand at No. 201 on south State St., November 1890. He carries a heavy stock of staple and fancy groceries, glass and queensware, paints, oils, brushes, etc. Mr. Butler has a large trade, and reputation established.
H. C. Maloney
Began business in East Pearl St., Dec. 1898, but in Dec. 1899 moved to a more convenient and commodious room at No. 207 south State St., where he carries a ling of general family groceries and provisions. His honest and courteous way of dealing will in time build him a very large trade.
Abram W. Lowe
Began in the family grocery trade on the corner of Clay and Spruce streets, Aug. 21, 1899. Carries a full line of staple and fancy groceries.
Whitlock & Co.
Opened up a grocery store on north State street, April 1901. They carry a full line of staple and fancy groceries, tinware, cigars and tobacco. Moved into the Snedeker building, September 1, 1901. The firm is composed of Wilbert W. Whitlock and Mrs. Shirley M. Nelson.
In 1854, A. M. Blackburn established the first banking house in Jerseyville. Until 1859 Mr. Blackburn conducted the business alone, but afterwards associated with him Messrs. Wm. Shephard, Samuel L. McGill and A. B. Morean, when the firm name was A. M. Blackburn & Co. It was afterwards organized under the state law as the Jersey County Bank, with A. M. Blackburn president, and George R. Swallow, cashier, who retired early from the business. This bank invested largely in Tennessee State Bonds, and on the breaking out of the war, the bonds depreciated to such an extent that the bank suspended business. The debts were paid at the time of closing business.
In 1859 Dr. E. A. D’Arcy and P. D. Cheney established a band under the firm name of D’Arcy & Cheney. During the war D’Arcy and Cheney were the only bankers here, and in those troublesome times during the war, they were in constant fear of raids from “bushwhackers,” but the bank was well guarded. No attack was made.
In 1866, D’Arcy & Cheney were succeeded by Hugh N. Cross and Col. George R. Swallow. The business was conducted under the firm name of Cross & Swallow, until in 1872, when they were succeeded by H. N. Cross, A. W. Cross and W. E. Carlin, under the firm name of Cross, Carlin & Co., who conducted the business until 1876, when the First National Bank was organized, with H. N. Cross as president, and W. E. Carlin, cashier. Mr. Carlin was connected with this banking house as cashier from 1870 to 1879.
In 1894 the First National Bank became the National Bank, with A. W. Cross, president, and Edward Cross, cashier. Mr. Cross was cashier for 15 years, when, on account of ill health, he was succeeded by D. J. Murphy in 1899.
Hugh N. Cross was connected here with the banking business from 1866 until his death in 1883. The seven original directors of the First National Bank were H. N. Cross, A. W. Cross, W. E. Carlin, J. N. English, J. C. Barr, James A. Locke and Dr. Geo. S. Miles.
The National Bank
A. W. Cross, President; W. H. Fulkerson, Vice-President; D. J. Murphy, Cashier; A. H. Cochran, Assistant Cashier. Bank located on the corner of State and Pearl streets.
S. H. Bowman, president; J. A. Shephard, vice-president; H. A. Shephard, cashier; Thos. Wedding, assistant cashier. Began business on corner of State and Pearl streets August 1890. The banks of Wm. Shephard & Co. and Bowman & Ware were consolidated into the present State Bank.
The first mill built in Jerseyville was an ox mill, built by Joseph gerrish, where now stands the Orville A. Snedeker house, formerly owned and occupied by his uncle Samuel Snedeker on south State street, about the year 1833. The second was a wind mill by the same man, Josephy Gerrish, 1839. It stood in the south part of Jerseyville on the Newbern road, in the Kirby addition. It burned down about 1850. It was sold by Mr. Gerrish to Mr. Henry Schaff. Some of the boys are now milling in Maryville, Mo.
The Jerseyville Mills
This was a large steam flouring mill built by N. L. Adams and Josiah French, his son-in-law, in 1849. It stood where Pritchett’s livery stable now stands on the corner of Arch and Jefferson streets. It was bought by Samuel McGill and A. M. Blackburn, and operated some years by them. After them it was operated by Samuel Davis and Gideon Blackburn. After them it was bought by Henry Johnson, Wm. B. Nevius and J. Paris in 1864. About that time J. W. Vinson became general manager. In about two years, about 1866, it was bought by H. O. Goodrich, Wm. B. Nevius and B. W. Green. Green retiring from the firm, the mill was owned by Goodrich & Nevius alone, until it burned down in 1876. It stood on the northeast corner of Arch and Jefferson streets, J. W. Vinson, business manager.
Built by J. M. Young, after running it for several years, doing a good business, it was burned down. It was afterwards rebuilt by John N. Squier, who continued to run it until he sold it to Goodrich & Nevius. Still further on, Mr. Nevius retired, when the mill was owned and run by H. O. Goodrich and John W. Vinson, until it was again burned down. The mill stood on the southeast corner of Pearl and Olive streets. It was never rebuilt.
In 1851 there was a mill built by a man named Young. The next proprietor was named Roberts. He in turn was succeeded by Turner and Whitenack. This firm continued for a short time and was changed to Turner & VanPelt. They soon retired and leased the business to Remer & Paris. These soon sold out to N. L. Adams. He operated the mill until 1873, when it was purchased by Theodore Dodson. At this date, 1873, the Dodson Brothers, Theodore and Frank M., came to Jerseyville, and engaged in the milling business. They afterwards build a new mill, and are now doing a good business. The capacity of the mill is 200 barrels a day. The total cost of the plant alone was not less than $35,000.
The Jacobs Mill
Charles Jacobs purchased the steam mill east of C. & A. R.R. of Levi Cory in 1873, and continued to run the mill until 1897, when, on account of age and infirmities he retired from active business life. The mill is now being operated by Fleming & Leak.
The Jerseyville Elevator
Began operations December 1876. It was regularly incorporated with a capital stock of $25,000. Located on C. & A. Railroad. Officers elected for the first term were Hugh N. Cross, president; James A. Locke, vice-president; Walter E. Carlin, secretary; A. W. Cross, Treasurer; L. P. Squier, Supt. The main building of this elevator was 66 feet high, and has a ground area of 30 x 60 feet. In 1878 Walter E. Carlin purchased the interest of J. A. Locke and the following year that of A. W. Cross, thus owning three-fourths interest. In the spring of 1881, they sold the elevator to E. O. Stanard Milling Co. of St. Louis, who still operate it with J. H. Duffield as superintendent.
The Farmers Elevator, on the C. P. & St. L. R.R. was purchased by E. O. Standard Milling Co. in 1899 of T. J. Grimes, who had a mortgage on the building. It was first a stock concern, built by the farmers of Jersey county. It is managed by J. H. Duffield, superintendent.
What is known as Cockrell elevator was built by Geo. C. Cockrell in 1867, at a cost of about $7,000. Geo. C. Cockrell ran it alone until 1869, when in that year he admitted Elias Cockrell as partner, and ran the business together until 1871, when Geo. C. Cockrell sold his interest to Elias Cockrell. In May 1884, J. M. Valentine of Rockbridge, Greene county, purchased the elevator of Elias Cockrell, and kept it about one year, when Mr. Cockrell bought it, and has been the sole proprietor up to this date, 1901.
The elevator that stands a short distance north of Jerseyville, elevator on C. & A. R.R., was built by C. T. Edee in 1865, who operated it for about three years, when it was purchased by H. C. Massey and W. E. Carlin. The first cost was about $5,000. The elevator is now operated by Groppel & Schneider.
Boots and Shoes
H. Scheffer & Son
H. Scheffer, boot and shoe dealer, was born in Prussia, April 20, 1827. At age 14 he was apprenticed to learn the shoemaker’s trade, and served three years, after which he followed his trade until he reached his majority, then he entered the German army, continuing in the service three years. At the end of that period he resumed his trade and followed the same until 1858, at which time he emigrated to America, landing at New Orleans on May 26, 1868. He proceeded to St. Louis, then to Alton, then to Jerseyville, where he established the boot and shoe trade, which he pursued until the day of his death.
He was married June 6, 1858 to Miss Mary Bertman, who was also born in Prussia. They were the parents of three children: Frederick, who was a partner with his father in the shoe business; Henry, at Bakersfield, Cal.; and Lillie, living at home.
The new firm of Sheffer & Son was established March 1880. They occupied a two story brick building, located in the best business part of the city. Besides their sales room, they have a custom shop, in which boots and shoes of all grades and orders are made. They carry the largest and most complete stock of boots and shoes in the city. The father died Dec. 15, 1900, but the business is carried on at the old stand by his son Frederick, who is an honest, thorough going business man, as the steady increase of his business shows.
Opened up a new trade in boots and shoes December 21, 1900, on south State street, and Sept. 1, 1901, moved into the new Bull building at the northwest corner of State and Exchange streets. He carries a full line of boots and shoes. He first opened a repair shop in 1890, prior to his buying his stock of boots and shoes. He still carries on a repair shop in connection with his store. Repairing done with neatness and dispatch.
Opened by Philip Lancrey on north State street in 1895. Manufactures the finest boots and shoes found on the market. He sends his work to California and all points in the United States where his work is known. He has a repair shop in connection with his manufacture. People who know Mr. Lancrey’s excellent ability come to him for extra work.
Joel E. Cory
Began the hardware trade in 1883, first in the Villinger building, now Fern’s building, afterwards moved into the new Bull building on west Pearl street in 1895, where he is at present doing a large and lucrative business. Since 1899 his son C. Roy Cory has been associated with him in business. Carries a full line of hardware, wooden and tinware. Has a repair shop and large storage room in connection. Handles fire-arms and ammunition of all descriptions. Buys and sells clover, timothy and all kinds of farm and garden seeds. Sole agent for the Standard Oil Company. Also agent of the Adams express company.
A. O. Auten & Co.
Began business on corner of Pearl and Jefferson streets, February 1897. Carry all kinds of shelf hardware, stoves, furniture, carriages, wind pumps. Also handle paints and oils of all kinds. All kinds of field and garden seeds. The members of the firm are Aaron O. Auten and John N. English.
Harry S. Daniels
Successor of James Stewart Daniels. Business established by him in 1872. Took charge of business immediatley after the death of his father J. S. Daniels in July 1892. Business located at Nos. 117-9 south State street. General line of hardware, stoves, tinware, buggies, carriages, pumps, etc. Also full line of groceries, queensware, etc. Handles all kinds of field and garden seeds. Also dealer in carriages.
Jerseyville Agricultural Works
In 1863 Robert Newton and H. O. Goodrich formed a partnership under the firm name of Goodrich & Newton, for the manufacture of agricultural implements. Their idea was to supply a growing demand for farm machinery in the county and surrounding country.
The first purchased a frame building of two stories on east Prairie street, 24 x 36 feet in ground area, which they converted into a machine shop. In 1865 Mr. Newton became sole proprietor of these works, when he erected on the opposite side of the street to his machine ship, a warehouse and paint shop, 40 x 60 feet. Another building 36 x 40 was afterward erected for the display and sale of machinery. In 1866 he formed a partnership with his brother-in-law, Levi D. Cory, and the firm name became Newton & Cory. The business soon justified the employment of 20 men. In 1869 Mr. Newton became sole proprietor and so continued until November 1882. About this time a stock company was formed assuming the name of Jerseyville Manufacturing Company and started with a capital stock of $50,000.
The seventeen stockholders were composed of the following men: Robert Newton, H. C. Massey, Dol. W. H. Fulkerson, Ormond Hamilton, Bowman and Ware, Morris R. Locke, J. M. Page, J. A. Shephard, Wallace Leigh, L. D. Halliday, O. A. Snedeker, C. W. Enos, Elias Cockrell, A. K. VanHorne, J. S. Daniels, B. C. Vandervoort, with the following officers: Col. W. H. Fulkerson, Pres.; H. C. Massey, Vice-Pres.; J. M. Page, Sec.; S. H. Bowman, Treas.; Robert Newton, general manager.
In 1885 Mr. Newton leased the works from the company and in 1888 he again became sole proprietor. He continued this business until 1898,when he associated with Harry Jones, in business only, purchasing no real estate. On January 1, 1901 Mr. Newton purchased the entire interest of Mr. Jones, and again became sole proprietor. From the first establishment of these agricultural works, Mr. Newton looked after its interest to the present time. Mr. Newton at present carries a general line of agricultural implements, at the manufacture of his patent Corrugated Iron Roller and Pulverizer, at the old stand where he began in 1863. He manufactures the best Adjustable Steel Roller and Pulverizer on the market.
Bell & Corns began the agricultural business at No. 220 N. Main street, March 1, 1889. Carried a general line of agricultural implements. Dealers in oils and repairs for all kinds of marchinery sold by them. On March 1, 1892 Mr. Corns retired from business, after which it was carried on by James Bell at the old stand. In 1894 Mr. Bell added a feed store and ground corn for feed. In the spring of 1895, sold to A. O. Auten & Co., and worked for them one year. In the spring of 1896 returned to the same business at the old stand, and there continued up to the present, 1901.
S. L. Hill
Began the agricultural implement business on east Pearl street, opposite A. O. Auten & Co.’s hardware store, November 1900. Sells farm machinery, wagons, carriages and all kinds of repairs for machinery. Threshing machines, wind pumps, sewing machines and lightning rods.
West & Son
Began business in Jerseyville in the fall of 1897 on N. State street. Carry on a machine shop and general blacksmithing. Repair all kinds of machinery from a lawn mower to a steam threshing machine. Dealers in steam engines, boilers and threshing machine outfits, and repairs for the same.
George Egelhoff established a carriage factory in Jerseyville in 1860. For many years he did an extensive business. He still runs a repair shop at the old stand. His present carriage repository and shop was the old Presbyterian church moved from where now the present Presbyterian house stands, to where now stands Mr. egelhoff’s shop on Jefferson street between Pearl and Arch streets.
Livery and Feed Stables
D. P. Pritchett
Livery stable situated on the corner of Arch and Jefferson streets. General livery, feed and sale stable. Began business July 1897. Always on hand a good supply of horses and carriages to accommodate the traveling public.
E. A. R. Myers
Livery and feed stables situated on the corner of Pearl and Jefferson streets. Always on hand a lage equipment of horses and carriages of all kinds. Sale stable for horses and mules. Good accommodations. Well established and widely known.
Seago & Johnson
North End Livery, feed and sale stable. Began business October 1899. Good horses and carriages constantly on hand at reasonable prices. The proprietors are Charles T. Seago and L. M. Johnson.
John C. Tack
Began the tailoring business first in 1847 at the old Red Corner now occupied by H. H. Brockman’s bakery. From there he moved to the opposite side of the street into what was called the Bijo, where now stands the brick building belonging to Geo. W. Herdman. From the Bijo he moved into A. L. Knapp’s building, a little further south of his former stand, where he did business for 12 years up to 1860. From this place in 1860, he moved to south State street which he built the present dry goods store of W. G. Burnett.
In this building he carried on the tailoring business until 1888, a period of 28 years. After this time he went ot Topeka, Kan., where he remained about one year, then to the north part of Kansas, and after some years he returned to Jerseyville, where he now lives a quiet life in his old age.
Fred C. Schmidt
Both tailor and cutter. Began business on the corner of State and Prairie streets, August 1893. Fred is not the man who does the botch work. He guarantees a fit. His increasing trade proves it.
Began business on south State street, March 1886. On February 19, 1900, he moved to his present place of business at north State street. Mr. Horn does his own cutting and tailoring, and guarantees satisfaction. He also carries a line of gents furnishing goods.
Wm. F. Fahey
Began the coal and ice trade August 1899. Office located near C. P. & St. L. passenger depot. Dealer in hard and soft coal and ice.
E. D. Slattery
The old reliable coal dealer. Oldest dealer in the city, having sold coal here for 30 years. Office near crossing of C. & A. and C. P. & St. L. railroads. Dealer in hard and soft coal.
Dealer in hard and soft coal in connection with his lumber business. Office and lumber yard near C. & A. and C. P. & St. L. R.R. lines.
Handles soft and hard coal in connection with his lumber trade.
Jacobs & Robb
Also handle a large amount of hard and soft coal in connection with their lumber and ice trade.
Located on Arch street and C. & A. R.R. Dealers in lumber and building material, hard and soft coal, brick, lime and plaster. Also a large dealer in ice. The firm is composed of Fred Jacobs and Alex C. Robb.
Christy Brothers succeeded the J. C. Gaskill Lumber Co., December 23, 1895. Near the crossing of the C. & A. and C. P. & St. L. railroads. Augustus Christy retired from the firm May 27, 1899. Since then John Christy, sole proprietor, deals in hard and soft coal, lumber and building material.
E. Cockrell Lumber Co.
Successors of C. H. Knapp and E. Cockrell. The present company was incorporated June 1, 1895. They carry a general line of building material, lumber, blinds, sash, lime, etc.
John E. Boynton
Dealer in diamonds, jewelry, silverware and Columbia watches. Old and reliable business firm, having been in business in Jerseyville twenty-five years. Located on south State street in the Shephard building.
H. A. Tunehorst
Began business in the Snedeker building on Main street in fall 1878. Was burned out on January 17, 1887, but immediately opened business in the Goeke building until the fall of 1887, when he moved to the new Snedeker building, his present location, where he is conducting the jewelry and music business, watch, clock, and jewelry repairing. Mr. Tunehorst is also a graduated optician, having made a thorough study of the eye, and how to correct its deficiencies with glasses. He also carries a fine line of imported cut glass, decorated china, and art pottery. Also pianos and organs. Mr. Tunehorst commenced in a small way, but by hard work and attention to business, he has now one of the finest jewelry stores in the part of the state, and carries a very large stock of high grade goods.
Began business on west Pearl street, Jerseyville, September 1894. Keeps a full line of watches, clocks and jewelry. Makes a specialty of repairing fine watches and jewelry.
C. C. Borger
Began business on north State street, Jerseyville, September 13, 1884. Keeps a full line of watches, clocks and jewelry. Makes a specialty of repairing watches, clocks and jewelry.
Gregory R. Smith
Became the successor to George W. Ware in the drug business March 13, 1882, located on south State street. In November 1889 moved his stock of goods to 117 north State street, his present place of business. Here he continued in business until 1892, when R. L. Vandenburg ran the business until 1894, when Mr. Smith purchased the stock, since which he has been sole proprietor. Carries a full line of drugs, patent medicines, miscellaneous and school books, stationary, wall paper, window shades, toilet articles, and everything found in a first class drug store.
Remer & DuHadway
Began business on north State street, October 1885. In October 1890 moved to their own brick building, No. 3, south Main street, where they are presently located. They carry a general line of drugs, school books, wall paper and window shades.
Geo. W. Ware & Son
Successors to W. S. Pittman Drug Co. Began business on south State street, No. 105, Sept. 1, 1900. They carry a full line of drugs, wall paper, books, stationary, paints, oils, patent medicines; in short everything usually found in a first-class drug store.
Successor to F. X. Schattgen, who, with Henry Beekman, who remained with him four years, began the butcher business in 1857, and continued without cessation for 44 years. Mr. Mode opened a meat market at the old Schattgen stand, March 25, 1901, on east Pearl street. Deals in all kinds of fresh meats.
Opened a meat market in Jerseyville, June 1881, and has followed it continuously to the present time, a little over 19 years. For some 12 years he was associated with James Perring. Since the retirement of Mr. Perring, he has been sole proprietor. Handles fresh and salt meats of all kinds. Fish in their season.
Alexander & Miller
Opened a meat market in the new Bull building on north State street, July 24, 1901. Dealers in all kinds of fresh and salt meats found in this market.
Opened a meat market in Jerseyville, May 1895, at No. 203 south State street. Keeps constantly on hand all kinds of fresh and salt meats. Fish and poultry in their season. Also buys hides, livestock, wool, pelts, and tallow.
Giers & Newberry
Began business at west Pearl street in the spring of 1896. They carry on a general millinery business in the latest styles.
Mrs. W. S. Kenner
Began business at 119 south State street, Oct. 24, 1897. Mrs. Kenner has a good business and merits the confidence and respect of a trading public.
Mrs. Clara B. Brooks
Bought the millinery stock of Miss Anna Whitenack, July 17, 1901, at No. 107 north State Street. Carries a full line of millinery goods, hats, ribbons, silks, velvets, feathers and flowers. Mrs. Brooks is well known, having carried on the millinery business for six years, previous, from 1889 to 1895.
F. W. Roerig
Doing a thriving business in the harness, carriage, trimming and saddlery. His polite, honorable and genial way of doing business, and treating his customers has built him a trade that will compel him to call in more help, and push out the walls of his building. To keep his word and accommodate his customers, he works decidedly too hard for a man of his strength. He began business at 215 south State street March 5, 1883.
A. F. Pitt
Began the harness and saddlery business on west Pearl street in the spring of 1872, and moved from there to his present place of business, on north State street in 1890. Mr. Pitt carries on a general line of harness and saddlery business, making a specialty of repairing everything along his line.
Fales & Perrine
Successors to Wm. Keith, who established business here in 1851, at 214 south State street. The present firm began business here February 1894. Everything in the line of undertaking constantly on hand. Furniture upholstered and repaired on short notice.
Began business in the Halliday building north State street, March 1891. They carry a general line of furniture, carpets and wall paper. Everything in the line of undertaking constantly on hand.
Wallace Leigh & Son, proprietors. Hotel was fitted up for the reception of guests, March 1, 1870. Has maintained a good reputation ever since. Ample accommodations and protection for guests.
Mrs. John Dunphy, proprietor. Opened for the reception of guests April 1, 1890. This hotel has always had its share of patronage. Guests safe and well cared for.
Joshua Sweeney, proprietor. Situated conveniently in the business part of the city, and is well patronized. Accommodations good and guests politely treated. Began business July 11, 1898.
Theo. Hossner, proprietor. The first hotel erected in the city. The present proprietor began business in the spring of 1899. A desirable and quiet resting place for guests.
There are at present a number of excellent private boarding houses through the city more or less permanent.
George W. Burke started the first blacksmith shop in 1835. The next shop of this kind in Jerseyville was started by Stephen Herron, who began work in the fall of 1835. He also built a shop, and worked for a few years on the farm now owned by Kirk Massey, one-fourth of a mile east of Marshall Cooper’s farm, situated one and one-half miles southwest of Jerseyville, straight line. Afterwards he moved to Grafton and died there. The third shop was started by John M. Smith, who located in Jerseyville in 1836. He worked at his trade for about five years, when in 1841 he moved to a farm east of Jerseyville, retiring from any further pursuit of his trade.
O. A. Tiff
Opened a blacksmith shop at his present stand in 1856 on north State street. Has carried on general blacksmithing and wagon building up to the present time, and the same old stand. He has stuck faithfull to business in one place for 45 years.
Blacksmith, carriage and paint shop, situated on Arch street, No. 112. Built his shop, and began business in it, in fall 1888. Mr. Sweeney has worked at his trade in Jerseyville up to this date, 1901, steadily for 41 years. Previously to building and moving into his own shop where he now is, he ran a blacksmith shop on Prairie street up to 1888. So much for staying qualities. An object lesson for the young men of Jerseyville, get a good thing then stick.
Carries on a wagon and repair shop in connection with, and in the shop with Mr. Sweeney. Began work here with Mr. Sweeney in 1888. Makes and repairs all wood work, for wagons, plows and all agricultural implements.
Opened up a new blacksmith shop on Arch street, near H. S. Daniels’ hardware store, about June 10, 1901. McFain is a good workman in his line, and no reason seems apparent why he should not share largely of the public patronage.
Successor to Peter Dolan & Son. Shop located on Jefferson street, between Arch and Prairie streets. Carries on a general blacksmithing business, with horse shoeing a specialty. Peter Dolan opened a shop first in Jerseyville in 1880, and in 1888 took his son James in partnership with him. In 1896 P. Dolan retired from business, leaving his son James sole proprietor.
Francis M. Dashner
Opened a blacksmith shop on east Spruce street, March 1895. Does general blacksmith work and horse shoeing, etc. Also has a wheel-wright shop in connection, worked by Jacob Gammerdinger. Any work in wood and iron can be done here.
Wm. H. Massey
Blacksmith shop located on east Prairie street. Business is conducted by Jefferson King. Mr. Massey also handles farm machinery.
The first photographer ever located in Jerseyville was A. W. Cadman in 1855 and remained here two years. About 1857, May & Woods began the photograph business and they remained about two years. Afterwards came James Halsted, Mrs. Rinaker, DeLee, who was the first man who made here the card photos. J. C. Strong conducted the business until bought out by Robt. C. Gledhill in April 1866. Mr. Gledhill continued the business here until he sold out to Decrevel Bros. in December 1898.
Began the photograph business by buying out R. C. Gledhill’s old stand in December 1898. Is doing a general photograph business in his line and in first-class style.
Whitehead & Alexander
Began business at No. 109 south State street, August 1895. They enlarge photos, take negatives for photos, and everything in their line of trade. They are long and well known in Jerseyville and have the confidence of the public. The firm is composed of E. E. Whitehead and E. L. Alexander.
An Italian who keeps a wholesale and retail fruit stand on west Pearl street, began business in the Bull building, August 15, 1900.
An Italian who keeps a confectionery and fruit stand on south State street since February 1894. Handles all kinds of fruits, cigars and tobacco.
Began business on south State street May 1888. Moved to more commodious rooms on west Pearl street, in the Carlin building in 1891, where they have carried on their trade continuously to the present time, 1901.
Henry F. Bayer
Henry F. Bayer opened his barber shop in Jerseyville in 1860 and died February 9, 1901, after carrying on his trade in Jerseyville 41 years. After his death his old stand is now occupied by his two sons, Fred and Otto, where they are now located. His oldest son Fred for some 15 years was running a berber shop in Witchita, Kans., but at the death of his father, returned to Jerseyville, and is now working at the trade in his father’s stead. These are steady, sober young men, and the community welcomes them among us.
Rollen Collenberger, proprietor of the Palace Barber Shop, located on north Main street, succeeded Edward Boehmer, deceased, on June 8, 1899. His business is well patronized.
John L.(?) Harris
Began business on east Arch street August 29, 1898. Does everything in his line of business.
Proprietor of a barber shop located on north State St.
E. O. Perry
Began business on east Pearl street opposite State Bank, February 1901. Competent to do satisfactory work in his line.
L. G. Godar
Began business June 12, 1900 at No. 110 south State street, at the old stand occupied by Mr. H. Webb. A young man building up a reputation, asks for his share of the patronage of the public.
W. P. Richards & Co.
Began business at No. 217 south State street, spring 1899. Buy and sell poultry and eggs of all kinds.
Conducts a poultry market on east Pearl street. He succeeded J. N. Davenport in the spring of 1901.
William F. Brockman
Began the manufacture of cigars in Jerseyville in 1887. Factory No. 208. Opened his factory at his present place of business on west Pearl street in 1892. Manufactures on an average of 175,000 cigars annually.
Carries on tobacco and cigar trade at Factory No. 196, south State street. Began business in spring 1877.
Cigar factory located on north State street near Northern Hotel.
Cigar factory located at his residence in west part of city.
S. D. Stanley
Began business January 1898 at No. 108 south State street. Buys and sells feed stuffs of all kinds. Also every variety of field and garden seeds usually kept in a first-class store of this kind.
Clarence M. Scribner
General feed and flour store. Located on west Arch street. Began business in 1900.
Leigh & Son
Wallace Leigh opened a bakery and confectionery store on south State street in 1852, where he remained until the Commercial Hotel building was completed in 1874. In 1881 his son Austin became a partner, and the firm name became Wallace Leigh & Son. Their ice cream has become famous through a wide section of country.
Herman F. Brockman
Herman F. Brockman runs a bakery and confectionery store on north State street, where he has been located for twelve years. His ice cream parlor and soda fountain receive a liberal patronage. He manufactures choice candies, and enjoys a large trade.
Began business at No. 205 south State street October 1900. John knows how to feed the hungry, and to bake bread, pies and cakes, that will make the customer come back.
Henry H. Brockman
Began the bakery and confectionery business on north State street in 1887. Remaining there one year, he moved to mroe commodious quarters in 1888, to the large brick building on the northwest corner of State and Exchange streets, where he has carried on a lucrative business to this date, 1901. Mr. Brockman knows how to feed the hungry with the best of bread, pies, cakes, etc., as he furnishes everything found in a first-class bakery and confectionery.
J. G. Brown
Began business in Jerseyville, July 1892. Office on north State street, corner of Main and Pine streets. Carries a full line of veterinary medicines and does general veterinary service.
R. B. Booker
One of the experienced veterinary surgeons, located on east Exchange street near Jefferson Hotel. Also has an office in Alton.
Jerseyville Mutual Co. F. I. Co.
The Jerseyville Mutual County Fire Insurance Co. was incorporated February 22, 1861, and reorganized in 1888. The officers are: D. Q. Trotter, president; Col. W. H. Fulkerson, vice-president; M. C. Stelle, treasurer; Charles S. White, secretary. The directors for many years have been D. Q. Trotter, M. C. Stelle, F. W. Schoreder, Andrew Beiermann, Col. W. H. Fulkerson, John I. White, Edward Trabue, Orin Palmer and L. L. Kirby.
Cutting’s Insurance Agency
Located in the Gledhill building on west Pearl street. Members of the firm are Leonard M. Cutting and David E. Beaty.
Office over State Bank. Ed. D. Griggs, solicitor.
Miss Edith A. Stelle succeeded her father, D. R. Stelle, after his death in the spring of 1901. Office located in the Bull building on west Pearl street. George B. Stelle of Springfield, Ill. also represents the various fire insurance companies represented by his sister, Miss Edith A. Stelle, doing the soliciting and traveling part of the work.
Represented by P. J. Monahan, Assistant Superintendent of the Alton districe. Office over the State Bank. A. T. Ankrom is resident agent of the company for several years.
George A. Rowden
Represents Fidelity Mutual Life Insurance Co. of Philadelphia, Pa. Also elected township assessor in 1894, and is present incumbent.
George P. Smith, contractor and builder.
Henry Leak, general contractor and builder. Shop on Washington and Prairie streets.
Robert Clark, carpenter and builder.
John Powell, contractor and builder. Long experience.
C. R. Snyder, contractor and builder.
H. C. Derby, contractor and builder.
Wm. Embly and A. N. Embly
Office on east Arch street. Many of the most beautiful public buildings and residences in the city have been planned by these gentlemen.
Conrad Nelson, mason, bricklayer and plasterer.
Wm. G. Nally, for 32 years plasterer and bricklayer.
Lloyd Hansell, mason, bricklayer and plasterer. Old and reliable workman. Followed his trade here for 45 years.
Ford Bros. Bricklayers, masons and plasterers. Well known and reliable workmen.
Horace Robings, mason, bricklayer and plasterer.
W. S. Henderson, mason, bricklayer and plasterer.
Wm. F. Krotzsch keeps a well equipped painting establishment. Paints buildings, signs and fresco work. Graining, glazing, paper hanging. Agent for white and enameled letters.
A. B. Purinton, painting and paper hanging.
Wm. Sabo, painting and paper hanging.
A. W. Kennedy, painting and paper hanging.
J. J. Snow,, painting and paper hanging.
Elizabeth Eaton, with Cutting’s Insurance Agency.
Julia Barron, with Chapman & Locke, investment bankers.
Tillie Schattgen, with Thos. F. Ferns’ law office.
Alice M. Cory, in J. M. Page’s office, Manager Cold Spring Gold Mining and Tunnel Company.
Evelyn Reynolds, circuit court stenographer.
Margaret Flannigan, in office of O. D. Leach. Claim Department of C. & A. R.R.
W. C. Jones, agent C. & A. R.R.; F. C. Rutherford, day operator; L. L. Miller, night operator.
Nathaniel E. Mann, agent of C. P. & St. L. R.R. C. F. Cunningham, operator.
United States Express Company on east Pearl street, in old National Hotel building. H. F. Hill, agent.
Adam’s Express Company on west Pearl street, in Joel E. Cory’s hardware store. Joel E. Cory, agent.
The Jerseyville Granite and Marble Works was incorporated March 6, 1899, with W. H. Houghtlin, president; Geo. H. VanHorne, secretary and treasurer; D. M. Houghtlin, manager. Handle granite and marble tombstones and monuments of all sizes and descriptions. Previous to incorporation the business was conducted by W. H. Houghtlin for many years.
Wm. Johns, proprietor; C. W. Johns, manager. Began the laundry business by buying out the business of Wm. Limbrick, July 22, 1901. Mr. Johns was born in Medora, Ill., October 23, 1879. A graduate of the class of 1897, of the Medora high school. Immediately after, he began the laundry trade at Shreveport, Louisiana, and completed his trade in a large steam laundry in Chicago, Ill. His experience and training in his business merit the confidence and patronage of the public.
Cabinet and Repair Shop
Lucian C. Derby carries on at north State street, a cabinet and repair shop. Repairs and varnishes fine furniture. Guns and bicycles repaired on short notice. Also does an extensive business in picture frames and other work along that line.
Book and News Stand
Oscar Hill, proprietor of the only news and book store in Jerseyville, succeeded M. L. Hill & Co. in 1878. He has conducted the business ever since, and is located on north State street. Deals in miscellaneous and school books, stationery, newspapers and periodicals.
Geo. A. Fry opened up business for himself in the Beatty building on south State street, January 1901. Steam heating and general plumbing. Mr. Fry has followed his trade here years previous, and is well and favorably known. Also carries a line of stoves.
Shafer & Mitzel began the manufactory of soda water May 10, 1894. Mr. Shafer retired from the firm in 1896, since then A. F. Mitzel has been sole proprietor. Factory located on corner of Prairie street.
James M. Finch began the transfer business by running transfer wagons, and busses form depots to hotels in the city, in the spring of 1866. He has followed industriously the same business to the present time, 1901, during a period of 35 years. That means success.
H. D. Bull, D.D.S.
For many years has practiced dentistry in Jerseyville, and has his office over Cory’s hardware store in the Bull building.
Keeps a fish stand on east Pearl street, first door east of State Bank.
Dr. A. S. Hunt
Dr. A. S. Hunt, homeopathic physician, located in the Bull building on west Pearl street in 1900.
Sam Lee’s Laundry
Sam Lee, a Chinaman, conducts a laundry on south State street.
Thomas F. Ferns bought the Villinger opera house property in 1900. He at once remodeled and enlarged the store room below and the opera house above. A large and modern stage, with the latest scenery, was constructed, and Jerseyville now has a convenient and inviting place for entertainment and amusement. W. H. Schroeder is the present manager.