Jersey County ILGenWeb, copyright Judy Griffin 2004. In keeping with our policy of providing free information on the Internet, data and images may be used by non-commercial entities, as long as this message remains on all copied material. These electronic pages cannot be reproduced in any format for profit or for other presentation without express permission by the contributor(s).
Among the memoirs of Mrs. Anna Medford, 75-year old Fieldon resident, is this postcard showing a typical scene in the business district of Jerseyville, a little over a half century ago. At a glance it would indicate that the thriving community had a “parking” problem in those days from the number of horse drawn buggies and wagons that lined either side of the street.
The postcard, sent to Mrs. Medford by her friend, Mrs. Orville Barry, then Jennie Carrico, on August 15, 1911, was brought to the Democrat News on the anniversary date by the sender and Mrs. Robert Cooper of Jerseyville, a sister-in-law of Mrs. Medford. A “personal” message relative to postponement of a planned visit because of “church Sunday” was on the reversed side. Though homes in the Fieldon and Kane areas were served through the Jerseyville Telephone Company the people of those communities could not call one another without a toll service so most of them made use of the “penny” postcard. [Published 1966]
Contributed by Marty Crull.