Jersey County ILGenWeb, copyright Judy Griffin 2002. In keeping with our policy of providing free information on the Internet, data and images may be used by non-commercial entities, as long as this message remains on all copied material. These electronic pages cannot be reproduced in any format for profit or for other presentation without express permission by the contributor(s).
Jersey County Page     Jerseyville History
Part 1  Part 2  Part 3  Part 4  Part 5  Part 6  Part 7  Part 8  Part 9  Part 10  Part 11  Part 12  Part 13  Part 14  Part 15

Jerseyville To-day

M. E. Bagley, Banker

The banking house of M. E. BAGLEY was established in September 1881 by W. E. CARLIN and M. E. Bagley and was conducted under the firm name of Carline & Bagley until February 1885 when Mr. Carlin retired from the business which Mr. Bagley has since successfully conducted alone. Mr. Bagley is a native of New York state and came to Jerseyville in 1850, and after several years spent in mercantile business, he was elected Circuit Clerk upon the Democratic ticket in 1860 which office he held twenty years continuously and during this period, since 1865, was also Master in Chancery until the expiration of Hon. D. M. WOODSON’s term of office as Judge of the Circuit Court. During his long service as Clerk and Master, Mr. Bagley made a record of which he may feel proud. He was well equipped by reason of his methodical habits and business training for the office to which he was elected and his administration of the affairs of his office gave universal satisfaction and secured for him the popular esteem of his fellow citizens which he still retains. During his residence in Jerseyville Mr. Bagley has filled a number of positions of trust and honor. He was the first Mayor elected under our city charter and has been a number of times elected a member of the board of Aldermen. He has always taken an active interest in educational matters and has served six years on the Board of Education and has contributed no little to the development of our schools which have come to be the pride of our city. Mr. Bagley is ranked among our most enterprising and progressive citizens and has ever been an active promoter of all interests looking to the advancement of our city. He is a private banker with ample means and his bank numbers among its patrons many of our most substantial business men. M. E. Bagley home

M. A. Warren & Co., Dry Goods

Among our popular dry goods men are the gentlemen composing the above firm. Mr. Mark A. WARREN, the senior partner and local manager of the business, is a native of Jerseyville, born in 1851. He was educated in our city schools, and had the advantage of a business course at the Business College at Jacksonville, Ill. He began his business career as salesman for Lovell & Smith in 1872, and was connected with different firms as salesman and partner up to 1880, when he formed a partnership with J. Knox SMITH in the dry goods business, the firm being Smith & Warren. They occupied a store room on the old Herdman corner on State street, and here did a flourishing business. In April 1882 Mr. Smith died, but his widow continued to hold his interest in the business until 1887; when she retired having sold her interest to Mr. W. H. STURGES of St. Louis, and the firm name became M. A. Warren & Co. In 1884 their store building was destroyed by fire, but it was replaced the next year with a commodious and ornamental structure, the corner store of a new block, and immediately re-occupied by them, and in which they are doing business to-day. Mr. Geo. E. WARREN, Jr., the popular salesman at this establishment came into the business upon the death of Mr. Smith, he having been previously engaged with the large dry goods house of William Barr & Co., at St. Louis. Mr. Sturges, the new member of the firm, has similar interests in three additional dry goods houses, viz: at Ottawa, Kan., Atchison, Kan., and Nevada, Mo., and by reason of this “combine” the firm of M. A. Warren & Co., have unusual facilities for purchasing goods, and can make “spot cash” – a rule from which they never – deviatean [sic] object to each one of their customers. They carry a full line of dry goods, gents furnishing goods, boots and shoes, etc. – a large and varied stock that will invoice from $15,000 to $18,000. It is worthy of mention that the other stores with which Mr. Sturges is connected, are strictly “spot cash” stores.

Jarret T. Grimes Stock Farm – Aberdeen-Angus Stock

The first while male child born in what is now English township, was J. T. GRIMES, the son of Phillip, one of the oldest settlers in the county, and which fact probably makes Mr. Grimes the oldest man now living born within the limits of Jersey county. He is a practical and very successful farmer and stock raiser, and has between 600 and 700 acres highly improved farming land a short distance south and southwest of Jerseyville, the greater portion of which is devoted to stock raising. In recent years the question of dehorning cattle has been agitating stockmen more of less, and Mr. Grimes, who has been quite extensively engaged in the business of stock raising and breeding, watched with interest the results of the experiments and discussions on this subject. He finally concluded, as have many others, that to dehorn cattle was contrary to the dictates of humanity, and was an operation attended with more or less risk to the animal. That if hornless cattle were desirable, it was better to breed them than to dehorn them, and so by way of experiment he purchased of Mr. L. Leonard, of Mt. Leonard, Mo., about one year ago, three thorough-breds – one bull and two heifers of the Aberdeen Angus stock of cattle, and at another time also purchased twenty additional head of the same breed, which he has now in pasture at his farm. The thoroughbred Aberdeen Angus is coal black, hornless, with short legs, broad hips, broad shoulders and has a long body. He is compactly built, and will outweigh any animal of his age of any other breed. These cattle came originally from Scotland, and were intoduced in this country by Mr. Geo. Grant, of Victoria, Kansas, in 1873, and during the years 1880-83 it is estimated that 2,000 of these cattle were imported and distributed in the United States. They are especially desirable as beef cattle, and are quoted in the Chicago market at 25 cents more per hundred than any other beef cattle. In Missouri, where these cattle are better known than in this section, they are preferred to short horns. Mr. Grimes is thus far much pleased with his experiment and advises his brother farmers and stock raisers to go and do likewise.

Aberdeen-Angus Cattle

There is absolutely little known regarding the origin of this hornless breed of cattle. They are indigenous to Scotland and to the northeastern districts in which they are found. How, or at what period in their history the hornless feature was established is all a matter of conjecture. The Aberdeen-Angus cattle have been reared in the higher, dryer and colder climate of the northeast of Scotland on the highly cultivated farms and in the hands of the most skillful breeders who have had in view the production of a beef animal that would meet the demands of the feeder and the requirements of the butcher – that would be an easy and even feeder at an early age and supply the very best quality of beef and the most of it in valuable parts, and with the least offal. These objects secured, it matters little as to the origin of the breed. Having been skillfully and judiciously bred and handled so long they have an acknowledged fixity of type excelled by no other breed. That they have been a fixed breed for centuries is demonstrated by the fact that when crossed with pure horned breeds the progeny are in nine cases out of ten hornless and black in color. As a breed they possess great individuality. They are of strong constitution, hardy, docile, fine boned, uniform in color, with a long round symmetrical body on very short fine limbs.

They are easy keepers and mature early. Vigor of constitution gives them especial value as a pure breed for breeding purposes. The females often continue regular breeders to twenty years of age; Pride of Aberdeen 7th 901 (1711) now in her twentieth year suckling her calf illustrates this quality. The breed is excelled by none for crossing purposes, and in this respect fully meets the universal desire to remove horns, without resorting to the saw and chisel, transmitting in addition their superior beef and other individual characteristics. A breed that can stand the blasts of the east coasts of Scotland must be hardy and vigorous and well fitted to withstand our winters. The enterprising breeders of Missouri, Illinois and Iowa were foremost in recognizing the value of this breed of cattle and early secured animals by paying extraordinary prices. Notwithstanding the long continued depression of the cattle interests, now nearing its end, the ususal results of intelligent foresight have been realized in these Banner States, in the financial success attending their breeding operations. – Thos. McFarlane, Catalogue.

J. M. Page home

J. M. Page

J. M. PAGE, editor and proprietor of the Jersey County Democrat was born in Massachusetts, May 20, 1845, attended school 14 years, enlisted in the army and was in five battles, then clerked in a store in St. Louis one year and came to Jerseyville in April 1866 a stranger to all and with 25 cents in his pocket. He engaged himself to William EMBLEY (now the noted architect, then a carpenter) for three years to learn the carpenters trade at $100 and board per year. Mr. Embley retiring from the carpenter business he worked for N. F. SMITH, Jr., whose foreman he was for nine years. He was chosen City Marshal during the big stike in 1877 and appointed to that position until 1880 when he resigned and bought the Democrat from J. I. McGREADY who had been elected Circuit Clerk. Mr. Page was elected City Clerk in 1881 and continued to hold that office till 1885. In 1875 [sic?] he was elected Alderman for the Second Ward and in 1887 was elected Mayor of Jerseyville and in 1889 was elected to that office. In 1885 he was appointed Master-in-Chancery of the Jersey County Circuit Court which office he now holds. For all these honors and favors he has received, his is indebted to his frieds and desires at this time to express to them his sincere thanks and in this souvenir prove to the citizens of Jerseyville that he is not unmindful nor ungrateful for the many kind words and acts bestowed upon him during his twenty-three years residence in their midst, and will ever, as in the past strive to push our beautiful City to the front rank where she belongs.

D. G. & H. N. Wyckoff

The senior of this popular and reliable Dry Goods House, Mr. D. G. WYCKOFF, is the oldest merchant in Jerseyville to-day and in all probability out-ranks any merchant doing business to-day within one hundred miles of Jerseyville. He came to Jersey County in 1837 and moved to Jerseyville in October 1840, and in 1843 he opened a merchant tailoring establishment. In 1849 he associated himself with John E. RUNDLE and commenced the general dry goods business the partnership lasting one year. In 1855 he took for a partner his son, Horatio N. WYCKOFF and the business has been successfully continued under this firm up to the present time. In 1884 a destructive fire visited Jerseyville and while the fire was yet burning Mr. D. G. Wyckoff purchased of S. H. Bowman, the present site of his store for $2,600 cash, and proceeded at once to erect a two story brick building 25 x 75 feet, which is one of the finest store buildings in the city. This firm has for many years enjoyed a flourishing business, having an extensive acquaintance, and established character for honest dealing. They are not shoddy people nor do they keep shoddy goods. Their long and varied experience in business enables them to judge accurately of the demands of the home market and to regulate their buying accordingly. They carry a complete stock and good stock of goods in their line, believing that good goods will give the greatest satisfaction in the long run to the buyer as well as the seller. They have abundance of means to carry on their business, they have never suspended nor asked an extension on their paper, always paying 100 cents on the dollar promptly. They are among our most reliable merchants, and are offering an extra fine assortment of goods this fall.

Thos. W. Butler

The business interests of Jerseyville are largely in the hands of young men – men of push and energy, and prominent among these we may mention Thos. W. BUTLER our popular grocer at Wagner’s old stand on East Pearl Street. Mr. Butler is another instance of what energy and application to business will accomplish; after four years apprenticeship with Mr. Wagner, during which time he thoroughly mastered the details of the grocery business, Mr. Butler embarked in business for himself in March 1888, and notwithstanding the sharp competition he had to encounter, he held his own, and gradually established a solid footing in his business, and to-day enjoys a large share of the patronage. His stock includes a large and varied assortment of staple and fancy groceries, Queensware, Glassware, Woodenware and an elegant line of Library, Hanging and Stand Lamps. Mr. Butler has always taken an active interest in local politics and in 1887 was elected City Clerk, and proved himself an efficient man for the position, and in 1889 was re-elected for two years, without opposition. There is, for some reason we suppose, closer competition in the grocery business than in most any other branch of business, at least there are more grocery stores found in every community, than other stores. This is true of Jerseyville, and the fight for patronage is often fierce if not bitter. Mr. Butler has always pursued an honorable course with his competitors and this fact together with his uniform honest dealing with his patrons gives him high rank as a merchant.

Schmidt’s Tobacco Factory No. 80

Robert SCHMIDT came to Jerseyville in September 1875 and established what has since become a popular and lucrative Cigar and Tobacco stand. He associated with him in business Mr. VOGEL and the firm of Vogel & Schmidt continued to do business at the old stand southeast corner of Main and Pearl Streets until 1881 when Mr. Vogel retired and Mr. Schmidt continued the business alone up to 1889 when he died. His widow Mrs. Robert SCHMIDT decided to continue the business with her son Charles R. SCHMIDT as manager, who now has charge of the same. Mr. Schmidt senior was a practical cigar maker and tobacconist and established several brands of excellent cigars which his son continues to manufacture and carry in stock among which we may mention “Rough and Ready” and “It never Fails.” Jerseyville is a smoking town, this is to say, every man in town smokes more or less, and it is safe to say that no brands of cigars are in more general use than those made and sold by Charles R. Schmidt. He puts a good long filler (?) into his cigars and the best of tobacco and smokers soon find out where these cigars are sold. Mr. Schmidt carries a general stock of fine tobaccos, pipes, and tobacconists supplies, and has a first class trade. Electric Light building

Electric Light Plant

In 1887 Messrs Wallace LEIGH, George SCHWARZ and W. E. CARLIN were the incorporators of an Electric Light Company for Jerseyville with the capital stock fixed at $20,000. A lot was purchased on West Pearl Street, and a commodious and ornamental building was erected for the purpose, which with the necessary machinery and appliances involved an outlay of $15,000. The city granted the franchise for 25 years and has now 57 street lights for which the city pays $3.00 per month for each on a five years contract. It is the Edison system with an 80 horse power boiler and 75 horse power Armington & Sims engine. It has two No. 10 Edison dynamos and all necessary appliances and fixtures. It capacity is 600 – 16 candle power lamps, and it is pronounced by visitors and others competent to judge, one of the very best plants of its size in the country. It is extensively used by our merchants and in private houses and public buildings.

Jersey County Page     Jerseyville History
No surnames tagged for this post.