Jersey County ILGenWeb, copyright Judy Griffin 2002. In keeping with our policy of providing free information on the Internet, data and images may be used by non-commercial entities, as long as this message remains on all copied material. These electronic pages cannot be reproduced in any format for profit or for other presentation without express permission by the contributor(s).
Part 1 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4 Part 5 Part 6 Part 7 Part 8 Part 9 Part 10 Part 11 Part 12 Part 13 Part 14 Part 15
Schmeider & Barnett, Dry Goods and Clothing
The present firm of Schmeider & Barnett leading dealers in dry goods and clothing, are successors to Trepp, Schmeider & Co., a successful business firm established in Jerseyville in Oct. 1882. Mr. Gustav TREPP the senior member of the old firm was a well known business man in Jerseyville, had served as salesman and manager in the business several years, and was well equipped in business training for the new business venture. Mr. Charles SCHMEIDER was a native of Baden, Germany, and came with his parents to the United States in 1871, his parents settling on a farm near Fieldon in Jersey county, where they still reside. After two years service as salesman in Jerseyville, Mr. Schmeider went east to New York City, where he was connected with a large retail dry goods house for nine years after which time he returned to Jerseyville and entered into the above mentioned partnership, he having in the mean time married Miss MOLINET of New York in 1876. In 1883 Mr. Ben BARNETT of St. Louis, came into the firm and the firm name became Trepp, Schmeider & Co., and so continued until the death of Mr. Trepp, which occurred in January 18?9, when the firm was changed to Schmeider & Barnett. Mr. Barnett was born in Chicago in 1854, and brought to the firm an extensive business experience, he having served as salesman fifteen years in two different book houses in St. Louis. In 1886 Mr. Barnett was married to Miss Carrie STEINBERG of Lawrence, Kansas, and is the happy father of a boy, who Ben says will make a rattler in the dry goods business when he is laid on the shelf. In 1887 the firm bought their present store building and fitted the same up with especial reference to the needs and demands of their business, and have now one of the most commodious and elegant store rooms in the city, it being 90 feet in length by 25 feet wide. They carry a stock averaging $15,000 in value, buy directly from importers and manufacturers, and as they discount all bills and have no rent to pay they can offer their customers goods at the lowest possible prices. They carry large assortments of all goods in their line and have an extensive and constantly increasing trade. The gentlemen comprising the firm are comparatively young men, and are among our most popular citizens.
Charles V. Perrine, Livery and Feed Stables
The commodious and well equipped livery stable on east Arch street is now under the control and management of Mr. Charles V. PERRINE, he having bought out Mr. Arch ELY, a former proprietor, in July 1889. This has always been a popular and leading livery stable; it was built by Mr. Charles E. BOWMAN a few years since and was constructed with especial reference to the livery business. Mr. Bowman was a veteran liveryman and greatly popularized his stable by always keeping a fine line of livery horses, and a superior class of elegant turn outs, and the successors to Mr. Bowman have adhered to his sound business policy, as a result our fly youths, when they want a very chic or stylish outfit, are sure of accommodation at this stable. Mr. Perrine is a native of Jersey county born in 1859, and prior to his entering into the livery business spent his time upon his farm, of 160 acres, four miles northeast of Jerseyville. He has had to do with horses all his life, and his experience and training in this direction peculiarly fit him for the business he has recently embarked in. He has about 20 livery horses and has from 25 to 30 regular boarders, while his stock of buggies, phaetons, carriages, etc., is unexcelled in the city. He has lately added to his stock a new close carriage of elegant design and finish, purchased at St. Louis, and the finest vehicle ever brought to this city. Mr. Perrine is a prudent business man, and gives his close personal attention to his business.
John C. Darby
The Grocery business in Jerseyville is prominently represented by Mr. John C. DARBY who is the oldest merchant save one, now doing business in the city. Mr. Darby was born in 1829 at Scotch Plains, N.J. and came to Jerseyville in 1850 and served as book keeper for A. B. MOREAN three years at the old store corner of Pearl and Main Streets. In 1853 Mr. Darby bought an interest in the business and the firm name was J. C. Darby & Co. In 1856 Mr. Darbys health failing he went to farming on the farm now occupied by Chris COOPER, and continued in the business eight years. In 1864 he formed a partnership with Major SANFORD in the grocery business under the firm name of Sanford & Darby. Two years after he had for a partner, one year, George HODGEKINS, and in 1867 was alone in business until 1872 when he sold out to Marston & Nail, and 1874 he succeeded Mr. Marston and the firm stood Darby & Nail until 1876 when Mr. Nail retired leaving him alone in business in the Vandervoort building on Pearl street where he now is. Mr. Darby was one of the victims of the big fire in Jerseyville in 1887, his stock being almost wholly consumed. The building however was soon replaced with another of more elegant build, and Mr. Darby was soon on his feet again with a new and fresh stock of groceries. He is a veteran in the business, has no superior as a buyer and keeps none but the choicest and best of goods. He has a steady and reliable trade, secured by close attention to business and uniform fair dealing, and enjoys the confidence of his fellow citizens to the fullest extent.
Henry H. Brockman
As an instance of what industry, pluck and perseverance in business will accomplish, we may point to Mr. Henry H. BROCKMAN our popular Baker and Confectioner on North State Street. In December 1879 Mr. Brockman had $10.00 in cash – the sum total of his operating capital, and desiring to embark in business, he bought out the establishment of Nail & Voorhees giving in payment thereof two notes, one of $500, and the other of $490 (?), and at the same time taking into partnership his two brothers, Herman and William, whose worldly possessions were even less than his own. In November 1881 Herman retired from the business, Henry and William buying his third share and good will. In March 1886 Henry became the sole owner and in Sep. 1888 moved his business to the new building of Peter DERDINGER on the site of the old red corner on North State Street. This building was erected with especial reference to the needs of this business and is supplied with every convenience. Mr. Brockman has recently put in a Simpkins Patent Oven at a cost of $550, and has now invested in the business $4,500. He has a steadily increasing business aggregating the year just passed in his new location $30,000, as against $5,000 the first years business. He keeps a fine line of confectionery and fruits, the choicest oysters, served in any style, and his bread and other bakery supplies are pronounced the best by all who use them. Mr. Brockman has earned his success by his faithful attention to business and square dealing.
Bowman & Ware, Bankers
Bowman & Ware succeeded W. Shephard & Son in the banking business in 1875, at the place now occupied by this firm. Mr. S. H. BOWMAN began his business career as cashier in the bank of W. Shephard & Co. established in 1866 in what was formerly called the Arcade building on south State street. He continued with this bank until 1870, when he was elected sheriff of Jersey county and served two years, when his father Charles H. BOWMAN, was elected sheriff but died shortly after, and S. H. Bowman was again elected sheriff to serve out the unexpired term. Upon the expiration of his last term of office, he formed a partnership with Mr. Geo. W. WARE in the banking business, which partnership is still in force. Mr. Ware of this firm, came to Jerseyville in 1855, and shortly after entered into partnership with Dr. J. L. WHITE in the drug business, which partnership continued until 1859, when Dr. White retired from the firm. In 1867 Mr. Ware erected a commodious store building and conducted the business alone until about 1882, when he sold out his business to G. R. Smith & Co., the present south State street druggists. Messrs Bowman & Ware are gentlemen of ample private means, and have by judicious business methods and the exercise of a liberal accommodating spirit, established a business second to no similar institution in the city. They do a general banking business, make collections and negotiate loans, and attend promptly to all business entrusted to their care. They are in a word careful business men, do a safe legitimate business and have the entire confidence of the business classes. Mr. Ware, it is rumored, will erect a spacious building on the south-east corner of Pearl and State streets next spring, when the bank will be moved to that corner.