Jersey County ILGenWeb, copyright Judy Griffin 2002. In keeping with our policy of providing free information on the Internet, data and images may be used by non-commercial entities, as long as this message remains on all copied material. These electronic pages cannot be reproduced in any format for profit or for other presentation without express permission by the contributor(s).
Part 1 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4 Part 5 Part 6 Part 7 Part 8 Part 9 Part 10 Part 11 Part 12 Part 13 Part 14 Part 15
John C. Gaskill, Lumber
Prominent among our enterprising business men is Mr. John C. GASKILL, lumber and coal merchant, with business office and yards immediately opposite the St. L., A.&S. R.R. depot. Mr. Gaskill is a native of Mt. Holly, New Jersey, and came to Jersey county in 1874. He taught school in the southern portion of the county several years and in 1880 came to Jerseyville, and was employed a number of years as manager of E. Cockrells lumber yards. In 1885 he bought the lumber yard of Morris R. LOCKE, located near the above named depot, and the Chesterfield Coal Mining Cos. coal business at Jerseyville, and has since that time been conducting a successful lumber and coal business. He carries a complete stock of lumber, including sash, doors, blinds, moldings, etc., and deals in Anthracite and Illinois coals and though a comparative stranger when he came to Jerseyville, he has by close application to business and honest dealing won the confidence of the people and established a flourishing business, which will steadily increase with the coming years. Mr. Gaskill is a firm believer in benevolent orders, he being an active member of the Odd Fellows, Masons, Knights of Honor and the I.O.M.A., and is at present the representative at the grand lodges of all these societies, excepting the Masons. Mr. Gaskill is one of our most progressive and public spirited citizens as shown in his private affairs and willingness to aid all public enterprises. He came here poor and unknown, he has built up a fine business, bought a substantial and attractive home, and has a bright and promising future before him.
Peter E. Vandenburg, Nurseries
Among the attractions in the vicinity of Jerseyville is the Nursery of Peter E. VANDENBURG located in the north western limits of our city, and comprising about 70 acres of choice lands. Mr. Vandenburg established this nursery in 1881, and has within its borders every variety of fruit, shade or ornamental tree in use in this latitude, as well as all varieties of shrubs, flowers and plants of all descriptions. He sends out each year thousands of trees and finds profitable employment for a number of traveling salesmen in this and adjoining counties. He makes a specialty of small fruits and his strawberries and other berries always command the top market price. He is a native of Green county, New York, and was born in 1843, is a practical nurseryman and has had many years experience in the business enabling him to judge accurately of the trees and plants adapted to our climate. Mr. Vandenburg by his straight forward business methods has won the confidence and respect of his fellow citizens, and his trade is we are glad to know steadily increasing from year to year, indicating a growing appreciation among our people of the value of a first-class nursery. Such a plant is invaluable not only as a matter of convenience to our horticulturists and others, but as affording opportunities for tree and plant culture that do not every where exist. He has the largest pear orchard in this section of the State, and claims that Jersey county is not behind other counties in fruit bearing possibilities, and is doing all in his power to bring the people to a realization of this fact.
Robert Newton & Son – Farm Implements, Manufacturers and Dealers
As a rule the inland towns and cities of the west do not possess the facilities for successful manufacturing, unless it be in certain lines for which there is a special demand. Jerseyville has proven no exception to this general rule. It has been classed as an agricultural as distinguished from a manufacturing town, and this because of its location in the center of a rich farming district. Nature marked it for a grain and live stock center, and it owes its present growth to these resources alone. There were those who early foresaw that certain lines of manufacturing – lines that would subserve the agricultural interests, might be successfully prosecuted at Jerseyville. Among these was Mr. Robert NEWTON, who came to Jerseyville in 1858, and in 1863 in company with Mr. H. O. GOODRICH established what has since been known as the Jerseyville Agricultural works, and which has proven a successful institution from the beginning. We learn from Mr. Newton that though some changes have taken place in the ownership of the Works since they were founded he himself, has been identified with the business from the start, which probably gives him a longer continuous connection with this business than any man in this portion of the state. In 1882 he sold out to the Jerseyville Manufacturing Company retaining himself a portion of the stock, and continuing to act as general manager. In 1886 he bought out the stockholders and again became the owner of the property, taking for a partner in 1889 his son, Mr. A. W. NEWTON. They are manufacturers of farm implements and agents for a general line of farm implements, buggies, carriages, etc., and now have a capital of from $15,000 to $20,000 invested. Their business for 1889 will reach from $35,000 to $40,000. They sold the last season over 60 wagons, 3 car loads of reapers and binders, 50 riding plows, 1 car load of drills, etc., etc. They do also general repairing of engines and farm machinery. Mr. Robert Newton was one of the original stockholders of the Jersey Co. A.&M. Association, and was also one of the four who voted for the first graded school in Jerseyville. He was elected County Treasurer in 1886, which office he now holds. In 1888 his son Mr. A. W. Newton, was elected County Surveyor, which office he now holds. They are popular and successful business men.
C. C. Borger, Jeweler
Mr. C. C. BORGER our well known and popular jeweler is a native of Jerseyville of whom it may be said that he is liked best where he is known best. He learned his trade with Mr. John BOYNTON, and served an apprenticeship of seven years with Mr. Boynton, who was for many years the leading jeweler at Jerseyville. Mr. Borger started up for himself in 1884 at what was known as the old red corner, and in 1886 moved his business to Hills old news stand on State street. In January 1887 he was burned out in the big fire of that year, and upon the re-building of the block he again occupied his old stand where he now is. He has a model store elegantly fitted up and especially designed for his business. Mr. Borger ranks high as a practical jeweler, and as a result does the leading business in repairing watches, jewelry, etc., and in all kinds of engraving. He carries a large and well selected assortment of watches, clocks, jewelry, diamonds, musical instruments, sewing machine materials and supplies, and his store is headquarters for Singer sewing machines. He carries the finest line of silver ware, suitable for wedding presents to be found in the city, and has just received the largest stock of watches and jewelry for the fall and winter trade, ever brought to Jerseyville. He has in his employ Mr. Otto MILLER of St. Louis, a first-class watch maker and jeweler, who gives special attention to repairing and engraving. Mr. Borger is doing a large business, the result of steady adherence to strict business rules and square dealing with his patrons.
Mrs. Will Egelhoff – Millinery
If there is any one thing for which Jerseyville is more celebrated than another, it is in the number of attractive and stylishly dressed ladies to be seen daily on our streets. Jerseyville is a dressy town, exceptionally so, as many a pater familias has discovered to his entire satisfaction. The latest Parisian fashion whether in head adornment or street or parlor apparel soon finds its way to Jerseyville to add lustre to our already enviable reputation in this direction. And this encouraging and altogether satisfactory state of things is attributable largely to the skill and taste displayed by our milliners and dress makers fo whom we have a goodly number. Particularly we may say our milliners, for after all the head dress is the important thing to be looked after, for a woman it is said with a fashionable and becoming hat or bonnet, though the rest of her apparel be unfashionable, is above criticism. Prominent among our leading fashionable milliners is Mrs. Will EGELHOFF, a lady who has developed rare aptitude for her line of business, and numbers among her patrons many of our ultra fashionable people. Mrs. Egelhoff was several years in business with Mrs. DURKEE, prior to starting for herself in September 1886, when she opened her present millinery parlors on State street, where by close attention to business and honest endeavor to please her customers, she has established a satisfactory and lucrative business. She carries a complete stock of millinery and ladies furnishing goods of the latest and best styles. She has for her trimmer Miss WHITE of St. Louis, a lady well skilled in her specialty. Mrs. Egelhoff has earned her title to leading milliner, and has established a business confidence and patronage that cannot be taken from her.