Select Page

Jersey County ILGenWeb, copyright Judy Griffin 2002, 2003. In keeping with our policy of providing free information on the Internet, data and images may be used by non-commercial entities, as long as this message remains on all copied material. These electronic pages cannot be reproduced in any format for profit or for other presentation without express permission by the contributor(s).
Jersey County Page     Civil War Page

Jerey County in the Civil War

Roll of Honor

From the 1919 History of Jersey County (Hamilton). Thanks to the Jersey County Historical Society, Marty Crull and Carol Rhodes Van Valkenburgh for this page.

Jersey County’s Quota

All throughout the long years that the dark cloud of war covered the country, the enlistment of men, the forming of new companies, the constant stir and excitement was kept up, and men, young, middleaged and old, pressed to the front. Many brave and gallant sons of Jersey County represented her in the ranks of the “blue-coated, national defenders,” men who stood in the red front of lurid battle, andalways took a prominent part. Numbers of them laid down their lives on the altar of their country, and their bones enrich the soil of nearly every Southern state. From the Potomac to the Rio Grande, fromAlbermarle Sound to the Rocky Mountains, have their drums beat, and the ground re-echoed to their tread, and no more heroic soldiers led the van in many a stricken field than did the representatives from this section of the state.

The Contribution of the Women

While the men were away on the tented field, the patriotic women at home were not idle. Although it was impossible to get the county to do anything in an official way for the relief of soldiers’ families, many, as private citizens, thought it not only a duty, but a blessed privilege to render all the aid in their power. During the entire four years of war, we think but little actual suffering was experienced by an at home on account of the absence of their naturalprotectors, who were serving their country. Fairs and festivals wereheld for the purpose of obtaining sanitary supplies for those in thefield, and Soldiers’ Aid Societies were constantly investigating andrelieving the wants of the needy at home, and in these movements then, as today, the women bore a leading part.

Roster of Jersey County

The following is a complete roster of the citizens of Jersey County who, in that trying hour of a nation’s need, left wife, children and comfortable homes, and shouldering the musket, went to the front in discharge of the patriot’s duty. This roster is compiled from the Adjutant General’s report, and other official and authentic sources. If there are any inaccuracies in spelling names, or omissions, the historian hopes they will be pardoned, as the rolls have been followed as nearly as possible, and no one has a higher appreciation of the “boys in blue” than the writer of these annals.

Seventh Illinois Volunteer Infantry

Company F of the Seventh Illinois Volunteer Infantry had the following Jersey County men: G. W. Bickner, William R. Elliott, J.H. Becker, Christopher Camp, George James, H. W. Phillips and William James.

Ninth Illinois Volunteer Infantry

Jersey County had only one man in the Ninth Illinois Volunteer Infantry, and he was Charles Harris of Company A.

Twelfth Illinois Volunteer Infantry

George Yates of Company E, and Alexander Hamilton of Company I, represented Jersey County in the Twelfth Illinois Volunteer Infantry.

Fourteenth Illinois Volunteer Infantry

The regiment known as the Fourteenth Illinois Volunteer Infantry was organized for thirty days under what is known as the “Ten Regiment Bill,” and was mustered into the state service at Jacksonville, where it rendezvoused on May 4, 1861. On May 25 of the same month it was mustered into the service of the United States, for three years, by Captain Pitcher, of the regular army.

The regiment remained at Camp Duncan, Jacksonville, Ill. until the latter part of June, 1861, under instruction in drill and other duties, contingent upon the life of a soldier, but upon the dateabove, they proceeded to Quincy, Ill., and upon July 5, were transferred to Missouri. The officers at this time were as follows: John M. Palmer, colonel; Amory K. Johnson, lieutenant colored; Jonathan Morris, major; and Robert P. McKnight, adjutant.

This regiment did some guard duty in Missouri in connection with the Sixteenth Illinois Volunteer Infantry. On July 16, the regiment marched with other troops, under the command of Gen. Stephan A.Hurlburt, to Honeyville, Mo., in pursuit of the column under Gen. Martin E. Green, and arrived at that town on September 1, dispersing the forces of the enemy, capturing James Green, who had lately been a United States senator, and was a strong formentor of secession and rebellion. The regiment then proceeded to Rolla, where it remained but a short time, moving thence to Jefferson City, Mo., there joining with the forces under Gen. John C. Fremont, and participated in the memorable campaign against General Price. Upon the conclusion of that campaign, the Fourteenth returned and wintered at Otterville, Missouri.

In February, 1862, the regiment was ordered to join the forces under General Grant, at Donelson, but arrived at that place one day too late to participate in the engagement. Here it was brigaded with the Fifteenth and Forty-sixth Illinois volunteer Infantry, and theTwenty-fifth Indiana Volunteer Infantry, under the name of the SecondBrigade, and was assigned to the Fourth division, under the command of Gen. S. A. Harlbut, of this state. In the meantime Colonel Palmer,having been promoted to the rank of brigadier general, and LieutenantColonel Amory K. Johnson, having been made colonel of the Twenty-eighth Illinois Volunteer Infantry, Maj. Cyrus Hall, of the Seventh Illinois Volunteer Cavalry, was appointed colonel of the Fourteenth.

From Fort Donelson, the regiment proceeded to Fort Henry, where it embarked and was transported by steamboats up the Tennessee river to Pittsburgh Landing. Here, early in the morning of April 6, 1862, the regiment was called into line and marched half a mile to the front, where it met the enemy under General Prentiss. It was assigned aposition on the left of the line, in Peach Orchard. The enemy immediately attacked it, but were repulsed; and it held its positionfrom eight o’clock A. M. to three o’clock P. M., only then retiringunder orders from Gen. S. A. Hurlburt, commanding the old fightingFourth Division.

On the morning of the seventh, it held a position on the right of the line, and was hotly engaged until the battle closed and the victory was won. During those two, long trying, bloody days, the regiment behaved nobly and was never broken or was driven back by the enemy, although often most heavily pressed, and this was the first time the regiment had been under fire. They sustained a loss of nearly one-half of the command present, and their colors, which came out of theconflict with forty-two bullet holes through them, fully attest thefierceness of the combat and the gallantry of the men in that memorable struggle. All the historians of this fearfully contested field highly compliment this noble band of heroes, who that day distinguished themselves in a most terrible sacrifice. In the grand charge on the seventh which was the consummation of that splendid victory wrested from the arms of defeat, the Fourteenth Illinois was in the advance, and was led by Colonel Hall. In the official report of General Veach, commander of the brigade, he used the following words in speaking of this favorite body of men: “Colonel Hall, of the Fourteenth Illinois led with his regiment that gallant charge of Monday evening, which drove the enemy beyond our lines and closed the struggle of that memorable day.”

The regiment, also, took an active part in the siege of Corinth, during the month of May, 1862, and after the evacuation of that place by General Bragg, they went to Memphis, Tenn., and thence to Bolivar.

On October 4, 1862, the gallant Fourth Division, under General Hurlburt, was ordered to proceed to Corinth, as a forlorn hope, to relieve the beleaguered garrison of that place, but Rosecrans, beforeCorinth was reached, had already severely punished the enemy, and the”forlorn hope” met its adversary at the village of Metamora, on theRiver Hatchie. After eight hours hard fighting, a glorious victory was gained, in which the Fourteenth Illinois sustained most nobly thereputation gained at Shiloh and Pittsburg Landing. The regimentconstituted a part of the right wing of Grant’s army in the march into northern Mississippi, through Holy Springs, to Yocena Patalfa, under the immediate command of General McPherson. General Van Dorn, of the Confederate army, having captured Holly Springs, with its large amount of army stores, and Gen. W. T. Sherman being unable to effect a dislodgement of the enemy from Vicksburg, Grant’s army was compelled to retreat, and January 18, 1863, the Fourteenth Illinois Regiment went into winter quarters at LaFayette, Tenn.

Early in the spring of 1863, the regiment was ordered to the lines in front of Vicksburg, and took part in the siege of that stronghold, until its fall, July 4, 1863. After then, the command took part in the expedition to Jacksonville, Miss., remaining there until theevacuation of that city. In August of that year, it proceeded toNatchez, and formed part of the force that marched across the swamps of northeastern Louisiana to Harrisonburg on the Ouachita River, andcaptured Fort Beauregard, where, the spring previous, the ram “Queen of the West,” had been sunk. It also took part in the famous Meridiancampaign under General Sherman, and on its return from that expedition, the regiment, or a large part of it, veteranized, although its time would have expired in a short period. After a short period of furlough to the beloved northland, they returned to the field refreshed, and anxious for the fray.

Gen. W. T. Sherman, with a force numbering a little less than 100,000 men, with 254 guns, in the spring of 1864, started on his ever memorable campaign to penetrate the heart of the Confederacy, drawoff the attention of a large portion of the forces of the south, so that they could not reinforce the hard pressed army of Virginia. Thecountry to be traversed was almost chaotic in its upheaval. Ruggedmountains, deep, narrow ravines, thick, primitive woods, crossed bynarrow, ill-made roads, succeeded each other for forty miles, when alike distance of comparatively open country intervened, only to besucceeded by another difficult region of mountains and ravines andpasses, reaching nearly to the Chattahoockie River, across which, eight miles distant, lay the important Atlanta. The gallant band of heroes called the Fourteenth Illinois Infantry, still under the command of Colonel Hall, participated in all of the movements and engagements that led up to the siege of Atlanta, and honorably acquitted themselves in every place they were called upon to act the part of men.

While before Atlanta, the Fourteenth and Fifteenth Illinois regiments, which had been together from autumn of 1862, sharers of each others’ sorrows and joys, weary marches and honorably earned laurels, were consolidated into the Fourteenth and Fifteenth Illinois Veteran Battery, and were detailed to guard the railroad communications at or near Ackworth, Ga., a most important and dangerous duty, as this was the only route by which the supplies for Sherman’s army could be brought, and upon the preservation of which depended the subsistence and ammunition of this immense host. In this campaign, when the Confederate general Hood made his demonstration against the rear of Sherman’s army, a large number of the battalion were killed, and a large part of the balance captured and sent to Andersonville prison pen. Those who escaped capture were mounted and accompanying Sherman on the ever memorable March to the Sea, acted as scouts, and were continually in the advance. They were the first to drive the Confederate pickets into Savannah, Ga. During the long and weary march through North and South Carolina, this battalion was on duty day and night, being constantly in the presence of the enemy, and gained great notoriety as skillful scouts and skirmishers. They were the first to enter Cheraw, S. C., and later Fayetteville, N. C., and took part in the battle of Bennington, N. C.

At Goldsboro, N. C., the battalion organization was discounted, a sufficient number of organized recruits, of the one year men, having arrived by way of New York and Morehead City, N. C., to fill up the two regiments. Colonel Hall was again assigned to the command ofhis old regiments, the Fourteenth. After the capitulation of Johnston, the regiment marched to Washington D. C., where it participated in the well remembered Review.

It afterwards was transported by rail and steamboat to Louisville, Ky., thence by river to Fort Leavenworth, Kas. From this place they marched to Fort Kearney, Neb., and then back. It was mustered out at Fort Leavenworth, Kas., September 16, 1865, and arrived at Springfield, Ill., where the men received their discharge. The aggregate number of men who belonged to this favorite regiment was 1,980, and only 480 were mustered out.

During the four years and four months of arduous service, this regiment marched 4,490 miles, traveled by rail 2, 330 miles, and byriver 4,490, making a grand total of 11,670 miles.

The men from Jersey County who served in the Fourteenth regiment were as follows:

Company F, captains, M. S. Littlefield, and John D. Moore; firstlieutenants, William H. Scott, T. H. Simmons, and I. B. Stafford;sergeants, A. W. Mendenhall, J. A. Davis, William H. Patton, I. B.Stafford, and T. H. Leonard; corporals J. M. Drew, J. A. Eberman, J. W. Smith, G. R. Pinckard, R. R. Aullabaugh, William Catt, J. H. Umphreys, and Brook Stafford; musicians, George Adams and D. P. Smutz. The privates were as follows: George Arkebauer, J. D. Beck, J. L. Brockus, W. W. Berry, Jackson Davis, W. J. Elliott, M. W. Free, O. S. Greene, Franklin Hoag, John Halloran, Alonzo James, S. B. Leonard, T. S. Miliken, Newton Miller, John D. Moore, J. V. Parker, Isaac Rowdan, Charles Rudolph, W. W. Slaten, S. C. Smith, Sr., T. H. Strode, G. W. Vinson, Eliphalet Brower, Edward Brewer, Nicholas Grosjean, Jacob Gill, W. C. Jennegan, J. W. Lane, J. L. Leonard, Franklin McBain, J. R. McGuire, Wyatt Moore, James North, W. E. Pitt, L. P. Richards, W. D. Roody, T. S. Short, James Austin, Mahlon Bright, Ludwig Vallard, Lionel Craig, E. G. Davidson, E. J. Estes, J. G. Freeman, W. A. Hoag, M. J. Hull, John Johnessee, John Keys, Joseph Leigh, John Monk, William Moore, T. A. Price, Alexander Roland, James Rowdan, A. P. Richards, David Stover, S. C. Smith, Jr., G. W. Taylor, Nathaniel Ware, Emory Brewer, G. L. Bigleow, David Gosling, Herman Heberick, J. Q. Jennings, Matthew Loran, Asbury Mott, Patrick Murry, James Moore, C. F. Miner, S. S. Price, Moses Roady, W. P. Randle, John Smith, Patrick Tracey and J. R. Barnes. In Company D, Fourteenth Regiment there were two privates, J. L. Leonard and J. R. McGuire. In Company E, there were two men, Stephen Della Cella and Barney McDonald.

Eighteenth Illinois Volunteer Infantry

The men from Jersey County in the Eighteenth Illinois Volunteer Infantry, were six in number, and all served in Company E of that regiment. They were as follows: John Pegues, T. J. Bean, T. E.Roberts, T. E. Hughes, Samuel Thoads, and E. E. Rhoads.

Twenty-Second Illinois Volunteer Infantry

In Company B, Twenty-second Illinois Volunteer Infantry, there were the following Jersey County men: W. H. Edsall, W. A. Butler, John Moore, W. D. Waddlington, Angus McPherson, James F. Crissup, William Sackett and S. E. Jones.

Twenty-Seventh Illinois Volunteer Infantry

The Twenty-seventh Illinois Volunteer Infantry was organized with only seven companies at Camp Butler, Springfield, Ill., August 10, 1861, and ordered to Jacksonville, as a part of the brigade of Gen. John A. McClernard. The officers of the regiment were as follows: Colonel, Napoleon B. Buford; lieutenant colonel, Frazillo A.Harrington; major Hall Wilson; adjutant, Henry A. Rust.

On September 1, 1861, the regiment proceeded under the orders to Cairo, where three additional companies were added, and all moved to the scene of hostilities, and first smelt powder at Belmont, on November 7, 1861, where the regiment bore a prominent part and suffered heavily. On the evacuation of Columbus, Ky., the Twenty-seventh was sent there to do garrison duty. On March 14, 1862, in company with the Forty-second Illinois, the Eighteenth Wisconsin, and parts of the Second Illinois Light Artillery and the Second Illinois Calvary, it was formed into what was called the Mississippi flotilla, started down, the Mississippi River, and remained during the siege of Island No. 10, the Twenty-seventh being the first federal force to land upon the island after its capture.

After crossing the river, the regiment was moved to Fort Pillow, but was recalled and ordered to Pittsburg Landing, Tenn., and was engaged in the siege of Corinth and the battle of Farmington, May 9, 1862, and followed in pursuit of the enemy to Booneville. It then retraced its steps to Corinth, where it remained for some time. In July, 1862, the regiment received orders to proceed to Iuka, and soon afterwards was distributed along the line of the Memphis and CharlestonRailroad, where it remained until the early part of September, when it crossed the Tennessee River, at Decatur, Ala., under the command of Maj. Gen. John M. Palmer, and pushing on made a rapid and forced march to Nashville, Tenn., where it arrived September 12, and where it remained during the time it was cut off from communication with the north.

The Twenty-seventh was also with the advance from Nashville, Tenn., and particularly distinguished itself at the battle of Stone River. On June 24, 1863, it moved with the army against Shelbyville andTullahoma, and thence to Bridgeport, Ala. On September 2, the corpscrossed the Tennessee River, and moved down toward Rome, Ga., belowChattanooga and returned in time to take part in the pursuit of Bragg. For some time General Rosecrans had been gathering a large body of men at Nashville, and had, by threatening the line of communication, caused Gen. Braxton Bragg to evacuate Chattanooga, September 8. General Rosecrans, under the impression that General Bragg’s forces in retreat were demoralized, pushed on in his rear, but the Confederate commander, who was an able one, receiving heavy reinforcements, turned and met his pursuer. This he did with so much suddenness and ferocity, that the Union forces narrowly escaped being cut up in detail, as they were scattered along the line forty miles in length. General Rosecrans, who was on hand, rapidly concentrated his forces, and the two armies met at Chickamauga Creek.

The first day’s engagement, although a hot one, was indecisive, and on the second day, September 20, 1863, dawn had scarcely come ere the roar of artillery, and the sharp rattle of musketry awoke the slumbering echoes of the “River of Death,” the Indian name of thecreek bearing that interpretation. All the forenoon the battle ragedwith unparalleled fury, but about noon the federal line was broken for a few moments by the passing of troops to the then hard pressed left. General Longstreet, of the Confederate army, seized the opportunity, and, hurling the necessary forces on the weakened center, soon swept it and the right wing from the field. The demoralized fugitives, in their headlong flight, carried off General Rosecrans with them. All now depended upon General Thomas, who had command of the left wing, which yet stood steadfast.

All through that long afternoon, the Confederate army surged around that band of heroes, a body of brave men, commanded by as brave ageneral, who, by the firmness of their front, earned for General Thomas the proud sobriquet of the “Rock of Chickamauga.” The Twenty-seventh suffered severely during the fight, and with the balance of the army fell back to Chattanooga, where it remained during the investment of that place, for Bragg, following the retreating forces, occupied the surrounding hills, threatening the city and garrison with starvation.

Grant was now appointed to supercede General Rosecrans, and hastened to Chattanooga, but being afraid that General Thomas, who commanded after Rosecrans had left, would surrender before re-enforcements could reach him, telegraphed him to hold fast. The old Roman’s reply was, “I will stay until I starve.” On Grant’s arrival things began to wear a different aspect. A corps from the Army of the Potomac, 23,000 strong came, commanded by Gen. Joseph Hooker, and Gen. W. T. Sherman hastened by forced marches from Iuka, 200 miles away, and communications were again restored.

On November 24, the Twenty-seventh was ordered on duty, and helped fight what will ever be the memorable battle of Lookout Mountain. General hooker was ordered to charge the enemy, but to stop onhigh ground, but the men, carried away by the ardor of the attack, swept on, over the crest, driving the enemy before them. The next morning Hooker advanced on the south of Missionary Ridge. Sherman had been the whole time pounding away on the northern flank, and Grant, perceiving that the enemy line in front of him was weakening to repel these attacks on the flank, saw that the critical moment had arrived, and launched Sherman’s corps on the center.

“The signals for the attack had been arranged,” says B. F. Taylor in his account of the battle, “six cannon shoes fired at intervals of two seconds. The moment arrived. Strong and steady the order rang out; ‘No. 1 fire! No. 2 fire! No. 3 fire!” It seemed to me like the tolling of the clock of destiny. And when at ‘No. 6 fire,’ the roar throbbed out with the flash, you should have seen the dead line that had been lying behind the works all day, come to resurrection in the twinkling of an eye, and leap like a blade from its scabbard.”

The orders were to take the rifle pits at the foot of Missionary Ridge, then halt and reform; but the men forgot all orders, and carrying the works at the base swept up the ascent. Grant caught the grand inspiration, and ordered a charge along the whole front. Up they went, without firing a shot, over rocks, trees, and stumps,surmounted the crest, captured the guns, and turned them upon the enemy, now fully routed and in disorderly retreat. Although the Twenty-seventh held its accustomed place in these battles, it lost only a few men.

From Missionary Ridge, the regiment was called upon to make a forced march to the relief of Knoxville, then closely pressed by the Confederate forces under General Longstreet, but by the time itreached the beleaguered city, the enemy had been repulsed. It thenreturned to Loudon, Tenn., arriving there January 25, 1864, and goinginto camp, remained there until April 18, when orders were received that caused it to move to Cleveland, Tenn. While at this place General Sherman was collecting his forces and organizing his army for the descent upon Atlanta, and the subsequent March to the Sea, and the Twenty-seventh, Illinois was ordered to join the invading force, which it did. At Rocky Face Ridge, May 9; Resaca, May 14; Calhoun, May 16; Adairsville, May 17; Dallas, May 26 to June 4, Pine Top Mountain, June 10 to June 14; Mud Creek, June 18, and at Kenesaw Mountain, this gallant regiment performed prodigies of valor and wrung from a defeated enemy the highest eneomiums.

At the battle of Peach Tree Creek, July 20, the Twenty-seventh was in line, and to quote the words of Greeley in his history of the war: “These soldiers stood as still as though bullet-proof.” The regiment was relieved from duty at the front, August 25, 1864, and ordered to Springfield, Ill., for mustering out, but was detained for a couple of days at Nashville, Tenn., on the way home on account of apprehensions felt in that city, of an attack by the cavalry columns under General Wheeler. It then proceeded to the capital of Illinois, where it was mustered out September 25, 1864.

During the term of service it had the following casualties: Killed or died of wounds, 102; died of disease, eighty; number of wounded, 328; discharged and resigned 209; transferred, thirty-nine. The veterans and recruits of the Twenty-seventh were consolidated with the Ninth Illinois Infantry, on their comrades leaving for home.

The men from Jersey County who served in the Twenty-seventh Illinois Volunteer Infantry were as follows: Company D, second lieutenant, J. W. Brock; first sergeant, A. L. Miller; privates, William Balcomb, W. D. Bell, Nes. Hartley, J. K. P. Kennedy, William Muney, John Mill, William Trimble, J. W. Bell, G. W. Braydon, W. H. Howard, A. J. Johnson, Vinton Larabee, Edward Paugh, Frank Towerville, B. F. Ward, J. S. Brigg, W. L. Green, William Hurk, Charles Lewis, Frank Mott, John Shadler, George Utt, LaFayette Boyles, J. H. Davis, R. P. Hartley, John Kennedy, Henry McIntire, B. F. Reynolds, John Ward, J. T. White, and Herman White. Company F, sergeant, D. D. Fisher; corporal, Charles Whitney; privates, C. F. Daudridge, John Hyndman, J. C. Martin, W. C. Nelson, Alfred Ryal, A. A. Smith, W. R. Wood, W. F. Talley, J. W. Darlington, J. W. Miller, J. P. Martin, N. B. Philbrick, Anthony Shield, J. R. Talley, Francis Harrington, and A. T. Talley.

Thirty-First Illinois Volunteer Infantry

The one man of Jersey County serving in the Thirty-first Illinois Volunteer Infantry was Benjamin Strickland of Company I.

Thirty-Second Illinois Volunteer Infantry

Jersey County was represented in Company D, Thirty-secondIllinois Volunteer Infantry by the following men: Corporal J. E.Hannah; and privates Henry Hardy, William Pickett, and Fields Strapps.

Thirty-Third Illinois Volunteer Infantry

The men from Jersey County in the Thirty-third IllinoisVolunteer Infantry were in Company C, and as follows: J. C. Bailey,Leander Curtis, J. K. P. Kennedy, J. H. Land, J. S. Malott, JeremiahO’Donnell, M. E. Stringham, J. L. Wilson, H. W. Beck, Linus Humiston, J. W. Lucas, J. A. McGee, Robert Murphy, H. H. Sisson, H. C. Terry, and James Whitaker.

Forty-Seventh Volunteer Infantry

Jersey County’s contribution of the ranks of the Forty-seventh Illinois Volunteer Infantry, namely: Joel Andrews and John Arbogast, both of Company C.

Forty-Ninth Illinois Volunteer Infantry

The men from Jersey County in the Forty-ninth Illinois Volunteer Infantry were in Company G, and as follows: Second Lieutenant, Joseph Lucas; sergeant, Joseph Lucas; corporal, Henry Spangle; and privates John Egan and William Gibbs.

Fifty-Ninth Illinois Volunteer Infantry

Jersey county’s contingent in the Fifty-ninth Illinois Volunteer Infantry were in Company I, and as follows: Jacob Luba, Alonzo Macumber, Alonzo Perry, and Isaac Tuller.

Sixty-First Illinois Volunteer Infantry

For a history of the Sixty-first Illinois Volunteer Infantry, reference is made to Lieut. Leander Stillwell’s “History of aCommon Soldier,” published in 1917, copies of which are in the Illinois and Jersey County Historical libraries. Lieutenant Stillwell enlisted January 6, 1862, at Carrollton, Ill., and served in the Sixty-first regiment until it was mustered out September 27, 1865.

“The Story of a Common Soldier” deals with army life during the Civil War, as also does the interesting diary of Stephen E. Beck, Company C, One Hundred and Twenty-fourth Illinois Volunteer Infantry. These men were both reared and educated in the Otter Creek community, and attend the Hamilton Primary School.

In the opening chapter of Judge Leander Stillwell’s book, he says: “I was born September 16, 1843, in Otter Creek precinct, Jersey county, Ill. I was living with my parents in the little old loghouse, when I was born, when the Civil War Began.”

He enlisted in the Sixty-first Illinois Volunteer Infantry, Company D, on January 6, 1862; re-enlisted for three years, February 1, 1864; was honorably discharged and mustered out of the service as a first lieutenant, at Camp Butler, Springfield, Ill., September 27, 1865, arriving at his home in Otter Creek Township, the next day. Later he attended the Albany Law School, and was admitted to the bar. He removed to Kansas in 1867, and settled at Erie, Neosha County, in that state, where he practices his profession for several years; was elected to the legislature, and later as district judge, which latter office he held for more than twenty years. Still later, he was first assistant commissioner of pensions at Washington D. C., being appointed for four years during President Taft’s administration. At the end of his book, he concludes as follows:

“In conclusion, I will say that in civil life people have been good to me. I have been honored with different positions of trust, importance and responsibility, and which I have reason to believe I have filled to the satisfaction of the public; I am proud of the fact of having been deemed worthy to fill these different places, but while that is so, I will further say in absolute sincerity, that to me my humble career as a soldier in the Sixty-first Illinois during the war for the Union, is the record that I prize the highest of all, and is the proudest recollection of my life.”

Jersey county furnished the following men to the celebrated Sixty-first Illinois Volunteer Infantry; Colonels, Jacob Fry and Jerome B. Nulton; assistant surgeons, George H. Knapp; chaplains, Rev. E. Rutledge and Rev. B. B. Hamilton; Company A, privates, Alfred Copeland, John Roberts, J. M. Manning, W. H. McCoy, J. M. Shaw, and J. S. Walpole; Company B, privates, Levi Kemper; Company C, captains,Warren Ihrie, J. T. Hesstr; first lieutenants, J. T. Hesser, M. S.Parker, and J. W. Judd; second lieutenants, J. T. Hesser, J. W. Judd, M. S. Parker, Henry Nevius and John Cooley; privates R. M. Allen, Henry Bell, W. P. Bates, W. H. Cook, J. H. Campbell, T. H. Chadwell, R. P. Chism, John Carson, Bark Connor, F. M. Dodson, T. N. Dallis, John Enule, Edgar Embly, W. B. Finieye, John Francis, William Gaul, E. C. Gallagher, W. M. Grather, Orange Handling, J. W. Judd, William Linnel, J. P. Loney, M. H. Nott, Leonard Martin, G. L. Briggs, J. B. Beale, J. W. Bates, J. H. Cyter, John Cooley, James Cass, J. B. Crain, Frederick Collip, Amos Davis, Jacob Dehner, William Edington, William Elmore, John R. Faulkner, G. B. Ferguson, J. B. Forbes, J. S. Goff, W. R. Griffin, E. E. Hall, Nelson Hegans, Charles Jackson, J. W. Lee, John Martin, B. F. Minor, L. J. Minor, O. T. Myrick, Patrick Mack, J. D. McQuiddy, Henry Nevius, Coleman Ohler, W. F. Post, Commodore Perry, J. T. Piggott, J. H. Reed, Samuel Slover, Joseph Smith, J. B. Stone, William Todrang, I. N. Vinson, J. P. Welch, Hugh Yuard, Alexander Cope, Theodore Dodson, Joseph Hesser, II, F. Milford, B. H. Pritchall, B. C. Milford, William McDow, EdwardNugent, J. N. Nichols, Matthew O’Reilly, M. S. Parker, William Powers, Richard Robbins, J. C. Savage, W. H. Sweeney, G. W. Sansom, J. F. Schuller, J. L. Thurston, J. F. Wentworth, T. H. Chism, John Conoway, S. P. Erwin, John Machel, Oliver Piper, J. F. Scroggins, and H. L. Slaten; Company D, captain, J. H. Reddish; first lieutenants, J. H. Reddish, Leander Stillwell; second lieutenants, W. M. Reddish, Leander Stillwell, E. W. Wallace, C. H. Oberdeik; privates, B. F. Austin, A. P. Allenden, Tillman Bethell, Lemuel Brewer, I. W. Bartlett, F. S. Burnham, J. M. Carroll, James Ellifrity, John Eldridge, T. M. Gates, E. H. Green, W. M. Gunther, A. J. Harris, B. F. Harvill, J. G. Hutchinson, John Jobson, Hugh Karr, J. E. Robinson, Henry Lippert, J. P. Miller, Henry Minor, Braxton Murphy, Ezekial Montgomery, F. J. Albert, L. W. Bethall, J. A. Barton, R. C. Bingham, Almon Burris, M. B. Corbin, Emanuel Dabbs, Isaac Ellifrity, A. B. Filay, F. M. Gates, William Donell, Hiram Holiday, J. W. Harvill, Edward Hall, F. M. Hill, C. J. Karr, William King, Samuel Leavitt, William Lee, W. J. Miller, Jackson Medford, James McQuiddy, C. H. Oberdeike, John Richey, James Schooley, Leander Stillwell, W. C.Smith, E. W. Wallace, Jonathan Burns, W. B. Burgess, Jr., WilliamBanfield, L. N. Chapman, James Dougherty, David Gilbert, Michael Golden, Q. A. Hull, Joel Powell, James Sapp, Samuel Smith, Albert Schultz, Jasper Timmons, Ephraim Timmons, William Worthy, B. W. Burgess, Sr., John Banfield, Ackron Barrows, John Duggan, William S. Fowler, A. J. Goss, J. J. Hill, Silas Inards, Daniel Rowden, and S. D. Ralston; Company G, second lieutenant, John Powell; privates, W. A. Barber, F. M. Frickwell, John Powell, W. L. Quigley, G. L. Scroggins, J. H. Lofton, Leroy Stephenson, Aaron Briscoe, Simon Grasley, John Lofton, G. F. Blake, Charles Kelch, S. M. Johnessee, L. R. Sturman, G. W. Turpin, John Powell, J. W. Turpin, John Grimm, N. H. Jones, S. R. Roundtree, and William Withrow; Company H, privates, Alexander Campbell, G. F. Grotts, Aaron Pruitt, G. W. Turnpaw, Charles Blakely, Joseph Falkner, Robert Lyons, S. M. Richey, William Talbert, and Joseph Hollen; Company K, privates, William Shepley, Isaac Litural, William Bratton and Napoleon Grimm.

Sixty-Second Illinois Volunteer Infantry

Two men represented Jersey County in the Sixty-second Illinois Volunteer Infantry, they being Samuel McClure and John Pollockof Company C.

Sixty-Sixth Illinois Volunteer Infantry

Company G of the Sixty-sixth Illinois Volunteer Infantry had the following privates from Jersey County: L. M. Sutton, WilliamBrown, George Frisby, John Nicodemus, William Beeby, S. W. Lynum, W. H. Marshall, G. B. Peter, J. W. St. Clair, W. R. Asher, J. L. Cundiff, Charles Marshall, Charles Smith, R. A. Lovely, D. E. Marshall, Joel Parker, W. M. Peter, H. D. Tally.

Seventy-Second Illinois Volunteer Infantry

One man represented Jersey County in the Seventy-second Illinois Volunteer Infantry he being W. L. Hall of Company D.

Ninety-Seventh Illinois Volunteer Infantry

The Ninety-seventh Illinois Volunteer Infantry was organized at Camp Butler, Springfield, Ill., in September, 1862, and was mustered into service of the United States on September 16, with the following regimental staff; Friend S. Rutherford, colonel; Lewis D. Martin, lieutenant colonel; Stephen W. Horton, major; Victor Vifquain,adjutant; G. C. Cockerel, quartermaster; Samuel Willard, surgeon; and W. M. Baker, chaplain.

On October 3, the regiment started for Cincinnati, Ohio, and from there it marched to Nicholasville, Ky., where it went into campand remained drilling and doing guard and police duty until November 10, when it was assigned to the division under command of Gen. A. J. Smith, and moved to Louisville, Ky., arriving in that city October 15. On October 17, it embarked on transports and started for Memphis, Tenn., and on its arrival there, went into camp, November 26. Here it was assigned to the Second Brigade, Tenth Division, Thirteenth Army Corps, under the command of Maj. Gen. John A. McClernand.

This force left Memphis, Tenn., December 20, and landed near Walnut Hill on the Yazoo River, and occupied a position on the extreme left during the battle of Chickasaw Bayou, but fortunately for them, were not brought into the assaulting columns for this was an impotent and fruitless attack on the most superb fortifications of the south. The sluggish waters of the bayou covered the entire enemy’s front, behind which rose the lofty bluffs of the Yazoo. Here the labor of thousands of slaves had been devoted to complete fortifications ofthe line for months, until it was perfectly impregnable to the simpleassault, yet General Sherman dared the awful hazard of the battle, and hurled column after column of infantry upon them in simple, useless slaughter.

In obedience to orders, the men plunged into the bayou, where both banks were covered by tangled abatis, and where the bayou presents a quicksand bed 30 feet wide, containing water fifteen feet wide, and three feet deep. The enemy rifle pits beyond were filled withsharpshooters, whose every bullet drew blood. The gunners had the range of the ford, such as it was, and poured grape and cannister into the dauntless but rapidly decimated ranks. Toiling like heroes, General Sherman’s men essayed to stem the storm until an order was received to fall back. It was raining all the time, and stung by the consciousness that they had fruitlessly thrown away many valuable lives, they retired sullenly from the contest. During the rainy night which followed the battle, the Ninety-seventh Illinois stood or lay without fire, in the swamp bordering the execrated bayou, but the next morning they were embarked and returned to Miliken’s Bend. On January 10 and 11, 1863, this regiment took part in the reduction of Arkansas Post, or Fort Hindman as it is sometimes called, where they, as usual, displayed their high courage and valor.

On January 15, the regiment moved down the river to Young’s Point, where it remained until March 6, and then returned to Miliken’s Bend, and on April 15, marched to Grand Gulf. On May 1, it, together with other troops, was engaged at Port Gibson, Miss., and on May 16, at Champion Hills, where it rendered good service. The regiment arrived in the rear of Vicksburg on May 19 and participated in the siege of that place until in capitulation July 4, 1863.

Scarcely had the Confederate colors been hauled down on this stronghold, that General Sherman started for Jackson, Miss., whereGeneral Joseph Johnston was securely fortified, and with GeneralSherman’s column was the Ninety-seventh Illinois. This regimentparticipated in all the maneuvers that led to the downfall of Jackson, Miss., and then returned to Vicksburg, where it remained until August 27. The regiment was mustered out of the service July 29, 1865, at Galveston, Tex., and arrived at Camp Butler, Ill., August 13, 1865, where it received its discharge.

The men serving from Jersey County in this regiment were as follows; Company G, privates, J. B. Bell and Samuel Richer; Company H, second lieutenants, L. C. McNeil, and W. L. Martin; sergeants, H. B. Scott and Robert Carr; corporals, John Monk, John White, Patrick Fitzpatrick, Michael Doyle, T. C. Pembroke, Henry McCullom; musicians, Thomas Powers; wagoner, Thomas Blackwell; privates, Frank Brooks, Jeremiah Curry, Frank Crocker, martin Dowdy, William Fuller, Peter Hughes, J. D. Hughes, Randolph Lucker, William Monk, Charles Perry, William Reid, Aaron Smith, Jasper Burnines, John Cummings, George Draper, Michael Fitzpatrick, Michael Guilor, Thomas Haig, G. H. Jackson, Henry Monk, G. W. Monk, Oliver Perry, Samuel Richer, Ephraim Tucker, Charles Watson, William Woods, William Williams, James Crissip, August Kramer, Martin Woods, James Williams, John Berlien, J. J. Hanna, John Murphy, and E. B. Mason; Company I, privates, Edward Carney, George Edwards, George Hall, C. M. Davis, Francis Grosjean, N. S. Osborn, and Richard Pope; Company K, second lieutenants, S. B. Orem and John Fisher; sergeants, James Francis, H. J. Barnhart and E. D. Lowe; corporals, Charles Rutland, S. L. Massey, C. J. Miller, John Fisher, Joel Burby, J. P. Slaten; wagoner, George l. Noble; privates Lovin Ballard, A. W. Bingham, Jasper Burnine, Jesse Cockrell, A. J. Clark, M. B. Carroll, L. M. Connor, O. T. Dyke, T. M. Foibush, W. H. Giberson, H. B. Harris, Franklin Hartman, J. F. Hamaker, David Loney, Elliott Macoy, A. J. Milford, J. H. Mayfold, F. F. Ogden, John Pait, John Proe, J. P. Sands, Levi Schultz, J. W. Snyder, James Van Horne, D. S. Williams, Nelson Williams, H. C. Bull, C. A. Bush, J. A. Chaput, J. T. Curtis, John Caslick, A. C. Carson, T. H. Clark, James Ennis, H. H. Giberson, John Glove, Amos Hasselton, John Huffin, J. A. Kelly, Lafayette Lassiter, James McRang, Henry Myers, R. A. Nutt, J. H. Ogden, Thomas Palmer, Z. P. Rowe, I. N. Selby, J. A. Snyder, L. F. Tullis, W. S. Wilson, B. F. Williams, Jacob Waltz, Wiley Wade, C. F. Wiser, J. W. Whitlock, J. K. P.County, Philip English, Thomas McBride, J. W. White, J. G. White, Osborn Worthy, R. W. Van Pelt, Harrison Garrick and William Stephen. In addition to the above the following men served, but were unassigned; Andrew Brown, John Davenport, W. McConrock, Alec Clark, James Hunter, and G. W. White.

Nine-Ninth Illinois Volunteer Infantry

The Jersey County men serving in the Ninety-ninth Illinois VolunteerInfantry were as follows: First assistant surgeon, John T. Curtiss;Company H, privates, Edward Lowe, M. M. Pennick, Dennis Smith, Jeremiah Pennick, John C. Smith and C. H. Wedding.

One Hundred and Twenty-Second Illinois Volunteer Infantry

The regiment which was known as the One Hundred and Twenty-second Illinois Volunteer Infantry, was organized at Camp Palmer,Carlinville, Ill., in August, 1862. The officers of the regiment were as follows: John T. Rinaker, colonel; James F. Drish, Lieutenant colonel; J. F. Chapman, major; H. G. Kaplinger, adjutant.

On October 8, the regiment moved to Columbus, Ky., and from there to Trenton, Tenn. On November 12, Companies A, D, and F moved to Humboldt, that state, but upon December 18, the regiment wastransferred to Jackson, to defend that place against Forrest. Theymarched in pursuit of the enemy as far as Lexington, Tenn., but returned to Jackson, December 21. In the meanwhile, the enemy, under General Forrest, captured Trenton, together with the sick in the hospital at that place, among whom were Major Chapman and sixty men of the One Hundred and Twenty-second Illinois. On learning of this catastrophe, the remainder of the regiment set out in pursuit of General Forrest’s command on December 27. On December 31, the One Hundred and Twenty-second Illinois was engaged at Parker’s Crossroads, in conjunction with detachments from the Thirty-ninth Iowa, Fiftieth Indiana, and Eighteenth Illinois regiments of infantry, and captured seven pieces of artillery and 500 prisoners. The loss of the One Hundred and Twenty-second Illinois was one officer and twenty-two privates killed, and fifty-six wounded. Colonel Rinaker was severely wounded.

On February 17, 1863, the regiment moved to Corinth, and on April 15, if left Corinth, being engaged at Town Creek on April 25. It moved to Saulsbury on June 25, and to Iuka on October 30, Colonel Rinaker commanding the post at each place. The regiment did effective service in this line of duty and during the summer of 1864, Companies E, H and K were engaged in defending Paducah, Ky., against the assaults ofGeneral Forrest, and in repelling three attacks on Fort Anderson. OnJune 26, 1864, it was transported to Memphis, Tenn., as was assigned to the First Brigade, Third Division, and joined the command of Gen. A. J. Smith.

On July 14, the One Hundred and Twenty-second Illinois was engaged at Tupelo, Miss., and met with the loss of Capt. Josiah Burroughs and nine enlisted men killed and twenty-three wounded, and returned to Memphis, arriving there July 23. It was also engaged in garrison and guard duty at Holly Springs, Ark., and on September 8, moved to Cairo, Ill., and on September 12 to Jefferson Barracks, St. Louis, Mo. It was a participant in the campaign in Missouri, during 1864, which consisted principally in a pursuit of General Price. Theregiment embarked for Nashville, Tenn., November 24, 1864, and onDecember 15 and 16, was engaged in the battle of Nashville, at whichtime General Thomas gathered all the men within reach, for the defense of that city, and among the regiments thus called to him was the One Hundred and Twenty-second Illinois, whose men did valiant service upon that sanguinary field. On December 16, the battle raged with increasing fury, until General Thomas ordered a grand charge during which the Confederate forces were driven out of the entrenchments in headlong flight. The Union calvary thundered on their heels with remorseless energy, the infantry following closely behind. Almost the entire Confederate force was dissolved into a rabble of demoralized fugitives, who, at last, escaped across the Tennessee. The war in the west, so far as the great movements were concerned, was practically at an end, but the gallant One Hundred and Twenty-second Illinois was not through with its days of battle, for, on April 3, 1865, it joined forces before Fort Blakesley, and upon April 9 participated in the assault upon that stronghold, losing twenty killed and wounded. On April 12, it marched to Montgomery, Ala., arriving there April 26, where it remained until the latter part of May. On June 4, it embarked at Providence Landing, and steamed down the Alabama River to Mobile, where it was mustered out of service, July 15, 1865.

The men from Jersey County who served in the One Hundred and Twenty-second Illinois Volunteer Infantry were as follows: Company C, second lieutenant, S. L. Chapman; sergeant, Asa Powell; corporal, W. W. Miles, privates, S. A. Ayers, William Bult, Daniel Casey, S. P.Davis, Philip Egelhoff, J. D. Miles, Elijah Matthews, Samuel Ryan, J. D. Sego, T. J. Upton, J. D. Carll, D. B. Davis, William Davenport, W. L. Jackson, W. C. Osborn, Sam Arter, M. A. Bill, G. R. Clowers, Garrison Eveland, J. W. Fitzgerald, W. H. Myers, J. M Phipps, W. L. Spear, A. J. Spencer, J. H. Withrow, Elias Dabbs, Absalom Davenport, George Gertimer, John Luft, and H. L. Weman.

One Hundred and Twenty-Fourth Illinois Volunteer Infantry

The One Hundred and Twenty-fourth Illinois Volunteer Infantry was organized at Camp Butler, Springfield, Ill., in September, 1862, with the following regimental officers; Thomas J. Sloan, of Chicago, colonel: John H. Howe, lieutenant: R. P. Pattison, major: andWilliam E. Smith, adjutant. It was mustered into service of the United States by Lieutenant DeCourcey, September 10, 1862. On October 3, the regiment received orders to go to the front, and leaving Camp Butler moved to Jackson, Tenn., where it arrived October 9, and was assigned a place in the Third Brigade, First Division, Thirteenth Army Corps. On November 14, it moved to La Grange, and on November 28 drove the enemy across the Tallahatchie River and advanced to the Yacoma River. The regiment was then in the First Brigade, Col. John E. Smith; Third Division, Brig. Gen. John A Logan; of the Seventeenth Army Corps, Gen. James B. McPherson.

On February 13, 1863, they moved down the Mississippi River to Lake Providence, an on March 17, went into camp at Berry’s Landing. On April 18, the regiment moved to Miliken’s Bend, and on April 25, commenced with the other troops the campaign that ended in thesurrender of Vicksburg. On April 30, it took part in the sanguinary and hotly contested battle at Thompson’s Hill, and gained imperishable laurels. In the engagement at Raymond, Jackson and Champion Hills, May 12, 14, and 16, respectively, during the entire siege of Vicksburg, including the assault on Fort Hill, they performed a heroic part. After the surrender of that redoubtable place, they rested until August 31, when they entered upon the campaign to Monroe, La., and thence to Brownsville, and were engaged in the two days’ battle at the latter place on October 16 and 17. The regiment went into camp at Black River, November 7, and on November 27, engaged in a prize drill with five other regiments, and carried off the palm.

At a subsequent contest for a prize banner, the One Hundred and Twenty-fourth Illinois received the flag inscribed, “Excelsior Regiment, Third Division, Seventh Corps,” from the hands of Maj. Gen. McPherson, for excelling in soldierly appearance, discipline, and drill. On February 3, 1864, the regiment entered upon the famousMeridian expedition, and returned to Vicksburg, March 4. It was engaged at Benton, May 7 and 10, once more returning to Vicksburg on May 21, and in July moved with General Slocum in his Jackson campaign, and was engaged in the sharp fight at Jackson Crossroads on July 5 and 7. In October, the regiment was in the campaign to White River and Memphis, when once more a return was made to Vicksburg, where the regiment remained until February 25, 1865, doing guard and provost duty, when it was moved to New Orleans. On March 12, it embarked for Mobile, Ala., moved to Dauphin Island, and up Fish River, and commenced the siege of Spanish Fort. The regiment was the extreme left of the investing line, and, with one-half deployed as skirmishers, drove the enemy within their fortifications. The regiment was mustered out at Chicago, August 15, 1865.

The men who served from Jersey County in the One Hundred and Twenty-fourth Illinois Volunteer Infantry were as follows: Company C, first lieutenant, John W. Terry: sergeants, N. C. Beatie and J. J. White corporals, B. F. Goodman and LaFayette Hegans; musician, B. E.Bartlett; privates, Frederick Austin, S. E. Beck, Eli Cadwallader, H. P. Daggott, W. S. Hesser, Thomas Hughes, A. C. Johnson, John Nelson, G. W. Perrigs, L. N. Smith, J. H. Slaughter, R. C. Vance, M. C. Brown, H. W. Beck, Charles Barton, W. H. Bartlett, Levi Crane, William Gaston, C. H. Howell, Thornton Hughs, J. C. Motherly, Nelson Philips, G. W. Rutherford, James Smirl, Albert Truman, W. S. Walker, J. C. Barley, P. S. Barton, J. K. Caldwallader, J. W. Lucas, J. J. H. McDow, John Malone, Robert Murphy, John Riley, M. E. Stringham, James Whitaker, J. K. P. Kennedy, Leroy Lamb, J. S. Malott, J. H. McGee, Jeremiah McDonnell, H. H. Sisson, H. C. Terry, and J. L. Wilson.

One Hundred and Thirty-Third Illinois Volunteer Infantry

Jersey County furnished the One Hundred and Thirty-third Illinois Volunteer Infantry with the following officers and men: H. A.Folger, first assistant surgeon; Company H, first lieutenant, Peter A. Hoffman, corporals, N. C. Stoner, J. E. Dupy, Michael Charney, andChristian Roady; privates, B. F. Christopher, C. J. Davidson, W. A.Everman, T. B. Elliott, Jasper McCumber, G. A. Pease, T. J. Rhoads, John Tunstall, C. S. Drury, E. A. Dodge, John Ennis, Joseph McCurdy, W. T. Holowell, J. L. Medley, W. E. Palmer, J. L. Simmons, and C. E. Wales.

One Hundred and Forty-Fourth Illinois Volunteer Infantry

Company A, privates, J. E. Andrews, Solomon Craig, MorrisHarrington, H. G. Tully, J. A. Bechtill, J. R. Denny, Jr., Alfred Ryall, and J. E. Waggoner; Company B, George Austin, Edward Crabtree, Robert Fitzgerald, J. L. Hueston, S. W. Hueston, Andrew Nelson, W. W. Rowden, J. S. Snedeker, Z. T. Bell, Thomas Doyle, H. B. Harris, C. W. Hueston, Samuel Jones, Jackson Porter, J. R. Rowden, Perry Spangle; Company D, William Trager, W. H. Kendall, John Richards, John Rumerfield, J. A. Gurthrie, Benjamin Proctor, T. L. Burritt, T. C. White; Company F, Christian Boedy, Myron Brown, J. T. Crowder, Joseph Capp, William Edington, J. H. Funk, William Holmes, W. N. Jones, John Manning, A. N. Murphy, C. L. Morse, Isaac Pollard, G. W. Ratcliff, Henry Scroggins, R. J. Sheff, William S. Sunderland, W. F. Shields, C. M. Tack, T. F. White, John Ward, Clinton Fizer, Martin Furlong, C. A. Jewett, Colby Buffington, A. Bonjeur, W. D. Crowder, Denny Crocker, G. S. Fisher, T. R. Gilleland, J. F. Hart, Asbury Mott, M. A. Murphy, W. H. Murphy, James O’Neal, John Parks, William Ryan, John Seerie, William Sunderland, L. H. Sison, Anderson Scroggins, Thomas Wilkinson, Henry Weigel, Stephen Dolson, John Fizer, John House, and James Powrey; Company G, C. F. Bull, Samuel Close, Robert Danbridge, Charles Emery, W. T. Granger, Andrew Giles, W. H. Lane, W. H. Moore, A. K. Minard, W. J. Orr, Henry Peters, W. H. Rue, H. L. Sunderland, Blaney Shook, Thomas Cope, Leonard Cope, Martin Cope, J. M. Dunsdon, J. H. Ford, John Gier, Martin Kinsella, James Moore, E. A. McFain, J. C. McFain, J. M. G. Proctor, A. F. Pitt, J. P. Randle, J. J. Sherfey, John Smith, John Slattery, E. E. Wilson, J. W. McGee, and G. A. Ford; Company H, captain, William E. Pitt; privates, T. W. Ayleard, J. H. Gier, Shadrach Hand, John Litter, T. S. Nicholas, John O’Donnell, M. K. Pistole, W. A. Reed, C. C. Smith, G. W. Travis, J. E. Vinson, William Welsh, Henry Winger, S. T. Caldwell, James Gibbs, A. F. Pitt, George Sanford, Louis Green, Almarion Green, Samuel Hartley, William McDow, Michael O’Neil, James Owen, G. M. Piggott, W. W. Shaw, Thomas Sheeney, John Tearney, W. A. Willis, Isaac Willis, G. L Briggs, Coe Edsall, W. J. Nutt, John Stilwell, S. A. Shaw, J. W. Sunderland; Company I, captain J. D. Moore; second lieutenant, W. H. Hutchinson;privates, L. N. Bidwell, David Batersbey, James Crain, G. W. Dobbs,Solomon Gray, Richard Jennings, S. Little, W. H. Lemkuhl, J. H. Simpson, Noah Burlew, Patrick Carroll, J. W. Crabtree, W. H. Dowdall, B. F. Harvill, T. W. Lyles, Isaac Miller, S. W. Ford, and J. Macumber.

Roll of Honor

George W. Bickner, died November 28, 1861.

H. W. Phillips was killed at Allatoona Pass, Ga., October 5, 1864.

Daniel P. Smutz was killed at Shiloh, Tenn., April 6, 1862.

John Johnessee died August 24, 1863.

N. Ware was killed April 6, 1862.

Emory Brewer was killed at Shiloh, Tenn., April 6, 1862.

Edward Brewer died December 22, 1861.

Herman Heberick was killed at Shiloh, Tenn., April 6, 1862.

John Smith died August. 18, 1863

William D. Wadlington died at Mound City, October 30, 1861.

William D. Bell died at home, November 10, 1863, from wounds.

William L. Green died July 2, 1864.

W. Trimble died of wounds, November 21, 1861

George Ult was killed at Kenesaw Mountain, June 27, 1864.

Serg. George W. Brayden died at Bridgeport, August 25, 1863.

Andrew J. Johnson was killed at Stone River, December 31, 1862.

Henry McIntyre died of wounds at Newton Barracks, April 14, 1864.

Charles F. Daudridge was left wounded on the battlefield of Chickamauga, September 20, 1863.

Benjamin Strickland was killed at Grand Junction, January 18, 1862.

William H. McCoy died at Pittsburg Landing April. 6, 1862.

James M. Shaw died at Little Rock, Ark., May 6 1864.

Capt. Warren Ihrie died September 9, 1862.

Robert M. Allen was left wounded on the field at Shiloh, April 6, 1862.

John W. Bates died at St. Louis, Mo., May 15, 1862.

John H. Cyter died at Duvall’s Bluff, September 2, 1863.

John Francis died at St. Louis, Mo., March 14, 1862.

Julius S. Goff died at St. Louis, Mo., March 14, 1862.

Edward C. Gallagher was killed at Shiloh, April 6, 1862.

Nelson Hegans died at Savannah, Ga., April 12, 1862, of wounds

John Martin died at Snyder’s Bluff, Miss., July 25, 1863.

Serg. Benjamin B. Minor died at Memphis, Tenn., February 1, 1864.

Corp. Leonard Martin was killed at the battle of Shiloh, April 6, 1862.

Joseph Smith died from wounds received at Shiloh, April 6, 1862.

Samuel P. Irwin died at St. Louis, Mo., May 12, 1862.

Benjamin H. Prichall died at Pittsburg Landing, Tenn., May 8, 1862.

John F. Scroggins died at Franklin, Tenn., August 6, 1865.

Frank J. Albert was killed at Pittsburg Landing, Tenn., April. 6, 1862.

Benjamin F. Austin died at Pittsburg Landing, Tenn., April 30, 1862.

Moses B. Corbin was killed at Shiloh, Tenn., April 6, 1862.

James M. Carroll was killed at Shiloh, Tenn., April 6, 1862.

Corp. Hiram Halliday died at Macon, Ga., August 14, 1862, while aprisoner of war.

Andrew J. Harris was reported dead.

John Jobson died July 25, 1863.

Braxton Murphy was missing at Pittsburg Landing, and was reported dead.

Ezekial Montgomery died February 3, 1862.

Samuel Smith died at St. Louis, Mo., April 26, 1862.

James Schooley died of wounds, April 30, 1862.

James Dougherty died at Duvall’s Bluff, Miss., September 22, 1864.

Daniel Rowden died with in the service.

Charles Kelch died while a prisoner of war.

William L. Quigley died at Hamburg, Tenn.

Leroy Stephenson died at Murfreesboro, Tenn., March 29, 1865.

Noah W. Jones died at Owl Creek, Tenn., June 1, 1865.

Alexander Campbell died at the hospital of the Good Samaritan, April. 3, 1862.

Robert Lyons was reported dead.

Aaron Pruitt was killed at Shiloh, April 6, 1862.

Corp. George W. Turnpaw died while in service.

William Beeby died while at Piasa, Ill., of wounds, September 4, 1864.

John Berliew was killed at Fort Blakeley, Ala., April 9, 1865.

James Crissip died at Morganza Bend, La., October 6, 1864.

Edward Carney died at Morganza Bend, La., August 3, 1864.

Newton S. Osborn was killed accidentally, November 1, 1863.

Edwin D. Lowe was killed April 9, 1865, while planting the colors onFort Blakely, Ala.

Christopher J. Miller died while in service

John P. Slaten was accidentally killed November 1, 1863.

Andrew J. Clark died March 23, 1863.

Thomas H. Clark died March 15, 1863.

James Enos died August 15, 1863.

Henry H. Giberson died January 23, 1863.

LaFayette Lassiter died April 6, 1863.

Elliott Macoy died February 8, 1863.

James McRang died February 8, 1863.

James H. Manyfold died of wounds, July 28, 1863.

Isaac N. Selby died January 23, 1863.

Benjamin F. Williams died February 14, 1863.

Jacob Waltz died March 23, 1863.

Osborn Worth died April 3, 1863

J. K. P. Court died February 13, 1863

R. W. Van Pelt was killed at Fort Blakeley, Ala., April 9, 1865.

Andrew Brown died at Camp Butler, Springfield, Ill., March 10, 1864.

Daniel Cassey died at Eastport, Miss., January 26, 1865.

Garrison Eveland died at Memphis, Tenn., November 5, 1862.

Philip Egelhoff died of wounds, January 1, 1863.

Samuel Ryan died September 29, 1962.

John W. Withrow died at Trenton, Tenn., November 15, 1862.

Frederick Austin died at Detroit, Mich., September 8 1863.

Charles Barton died at Lake Providence, La., March 10, 1863.

William Gaston died at Vicksburg, Miss., September 27, 1864.

Thorton Hughes died at Memphis, Tenn., July 14, 1863.

J. C. Motherly died at Laclede, Mo., September 15, 1863.

Nelson Phillips died of wounds, July 28, 1863.

R. C. Vance was killed at Vicksburg, Miss., June 26, 1863.

Christian Boedy was killed at Alton, Ill., March 27, 1865.

William Sunderland died at Plainview, Ill., January 22, 1865.

Almarion Green died at Alton, Ill., July 14, 1865.

Thomas S. Nicholas died at Alton, Ill., January 12, 1865.

John E. Vinson died at Fieldon, Ill., December 2, 1864.

James Gibbs died at Alton, Ill., February 1, 1865

Not in 1919 history: Benjamin W. Spry, died at Rossville, Georgia, April 2, 1864. – Charlie Crivello.

Jersey County Page     Civil War Page
No surnames tagged for this post.