Select Page

Jersey County, Illinois GenWeb, copyright Judy Griffin 2002. In keeping with our policy of providing free information on the Internet, data and images may be used by non-commercial entities, as long as this message remains on all copied material. These electronic pages cannot be reproduced in any format for profit or for other presentation without express permission by the contributor(s).
Jersey County Page     Newspapers List

Jersey County Democrat – 1889The lengthy “year in review” the Democrat published in early 1889.

January 3, 1889


Will GARRETSON and wife, who came down to spend the holidays with relatives here, have returned to their home in Morrisonville.

T. C. WATSON went to Christian county on business last week.

Rev. Ben WISEMAN, former pastor of the Baptist church, made a short visit among his many friends here, last week.

Walter ERWIN and Miss Bidie HANSELL, of Jerseyville, visited friends in Fidelity last week.

Miss Eva MOORE was married to Mr. Peter PARSELL last week. Rev. J. B. HOUSE, of Bunker Hill, former pastor of the M. E. Church here, performed the ceremoney.

John CHARNEY is visiting relatives in Virden and Girard this week.

The remainder of the cannon, which burst during the ratification after the election, was found last week in a field west of town, nearly a quarter of a mile from the scene of the explosion. Pieces weighing several pounds were found in adjoining lots, and it is little less than a miracle that some one was not hurt by the flying pieces.

Our entertaining townsman, J. F. HUFF, has started a photograph gallery in connection with his barber shop. Those wishing pictures taken, call at his office above Stocton’s store.

March 21, 1889

A Reminiscence
     Passing through Fieldon and taking the road leading southwest, down Brigham’s Hill, crossing Beanum’s Branch several times, you emerge from the hills to the “bottoms,” at the confluence of the roads going north and east, where, in the long and dim past, stood an old log cabin at the time of which I write, constituted the mythical city of Pittsburgh. Many years ago some shrewd men from the East came into this section and laid off several imaginary towns, going East, sold the lots to eastern capitalists. Among these mythical towns were Tenneriffe, Hartford, Pittsburgh, and New Philadelphia. The former was called Tenneriffe on account of its resemblance to a place by the same name on the coast of Airies. Hartford was about equidistant between Grafton and the present site of Rosedale, near the Twin Springs. New Philadelphia is now known as Otter Creek landing, on the mouth of Otter Creek. The typography of Pittsburgh is too well known by your readers to need any description at my hands. About two decades ago, this place, however, was the scene of many personal encounters between those who used to congregate there. A man by the name of N_ carried on business there. N_ was a small, weakly man to face the dangerous element that used to congregate at his place, but notwithstanding these disadvantages, no braver man than he ever lived, and he always preserved order in his place of business. This was during the civil war, and in consequence, that section was infested with desperadoes. In one of these personal encounters, a large, powerful fellow by the name of Frank Brookins, alias “Big Ingin,” was made to bite the dust. Brookins was, as I have stated, a very powerful man and in consequence of his superior strength, was very abusive at times. It was almost death to cross him, everybody dreaded him, and he held the country in constant terror. Evening parties, or “plow shoe gallops,” as they were called, were of common occurrence during the winter season. At one of these, your scribe first saw this Hercules. He was in one of his best moods, participating in the dance, but in about a week after this he went to N_‘s, for the sole purpose of intimidating those who were there or as he said, “cleaning the place out.” Passing through the door, he picked up a yellow dog that was lying near the stove, and actually pounded it to death on the counter. He was remonstrated with and told to desist, first in a gentle way but when the proprietor saw that he must protect his rights, he and his clerk tried to eject him. In the melee “Big Ingin” was killed, but no one to this day can say positively who did the deed. The people who liked law and order were glad of his death. After this, the tough element saw it was no place for them, and one by one they decamped. The only industry engaged in at that time was lumbering. Wood was used as fuel exclusively in the West at this time and was worth in the markets of St. Louis and Alton, good prices. There were quite a number of men engaged in boating. It was a wild, fascinating life and attracted many men who were tired of monotony. Among these could be found many highly educated men, one in particular I remember, Geo. Blake. B_ was a native of Pennsylvania having been born and reared in Philadelphia. When the news reached the East that gold had been discovered at Capt. Sutter’s mill-race in California, the people became wild with excitement and large companies were organized to go out and gather in the glittering substance. One of these companies, B_ joined, but the West was not what they had expected, so when the company reached St. Louis, Blake became tired and left the company. In St. Louis he met David and John Smith and engaged to them as a common laborer. He was unused to manual labor and it very nearly killed him, but as Geo. Was a fine musician the boys would do his work while he entertained them on a violin and act as cook. When the boats arrived at the mouth of Otter Creek it got noised around that S_ had a dandy on board. It was as good as a circus to us woodsers to see this queerly dressed man. He was the cynosure [object of admiration] of all eyes, the big country girls cast sheep’s eyes at him. He was admired by all and when he suddenly disappeared it cast a shadow over the entire neighborhood. No one knows what became of him, but it is supposed that he was drowned while attempting a crossing at Smith’s landing on the Illinois River.
Yours without struggling, Wandering Jew

August 1, 1889

Al HUGHES was arrested for selling liquor in Kane without a license.

East Newbern News:

Misses Maude KELLY, Lou SEGRAVES and Nettie SEGRAVES, were visiting Miss Hattie SPANGLE last Thursday.

The blackberry harvest is about over.

Mrs. Katie LYNCH has been very sick the last week, but we are glad to say she is better.

Alvin SPANGLE will move this week.

Haynes boys and the pickups will lock horns in a game of base ball next Sunday for a purse of $10.

Moses HAMER is making preparations to rebuild.

Uncle Peter TOUREVILLE was very sick last Saturday, but is all right again.

Misses Roxie, Cora and Alexzenia CHAPPEE, were visiting Miss Katie SEGRAVES last Monday.

Elsah township is the poorest township in the county. It has more rough roads, more bridges to keep in repair than any other township in the county, and it looks like we will have to build another road that will cost us between five and six hundred dollars. Come, let us die easy.

Edward CHAPPELL and Orlando BURLEY, took in the hop at North Alton Park last Saturday night.

Fidelity News:

Manuel CLYNE started home to North Carolina Monday, to revisit the old homestead and the scenes of his boyhood.

Mr. J. C. FROST lost a valuable horse last week. Mr. and Mrs. J. C. FROST were in Jerseyville, Monday.

The trotting race last Saturday afternoon, was a grand success and was well attended; the track was in good condition, and the day cool, making it pleasant for the spectators. Little Joe won the race in three straight heats, followed by Elsa W. in the second and Felva Lockwood in the first and third heats. Will FROST acted as judge and proved himself to be very efficient. Mrs. Warren CHRISTOPHER presented a beautiful floral offering to the winner.

Mr. Sam BALLARD was quite indisposed last week.

Mrs. Will BIRKENMEYER has been sick the past week.

August 15, 1889

Harry SHAFFER sports a fine new buggy.

Niss Nellie ALLEN was in Clifton since our last.

Charles HOWELL is reported on the sick list.

Mrs. BARR of Kane was in town one day last week.

Miss Eva COULTHARD visited in Carrollton last week.

Marion COWEN went to Virden on business last week.

Mrs. Frank EDGAR visited in Carlinville since our last.

R. P. SHACKELFORD was in Springfield the first of the week.

Joe LURTON drove up from Delhi Monday behind a fine team of bays.

Miss Mollie McBRIDE of Jacksonville, is visiting her father, James McBride.

Messrs. Tom FITZGIBBONS and Tom FERNS drove down to Grafton Sunday.

Miss Mamie Miller of Alton is being entertained by Miss Lillie BIRKENMEYER.

Grace VANDENBURG, after a month’s visit at Hannibal, returned home Monday.

Mrs. A. B. HALL was among the passengers for St. Louis Tuesday morning.

Phillip PAUL and family camped at the assembly grounds a few days of last week.

Louis SCHAFF and family, prominent people of Fieldon, were shopping here Monday.

Edgar ATCHISON, of Neodosha, Kan., is here on a visit to his brother, J. T. ATCHISON.

Mr. and Mrs. VANDENBURG and family, attended the meeting at L. REIHL’s Saturday.

Misses Maggie and Nellie DUNPHY, who have been visiting in Alton, returned Sunday night.

Mr. and Mrs. Geo. SHAFFER departed last week for an extended trip through Iowa and Dakota.

Mrs. Judge HERDMAN and children visited with her parents, Mr. and Mrs. James PARISH at Delhi.

Tom KINSLA was arrested last Thursday for assault, tried before Squire KIRKPATRICK, and fined $100.

William J. BELL and wife, of Jerseyville, spent Sunday with friends in Carrollton.

Miss Kittie TIMMERMAN, a bright and vicacious young lady of St. Louis, is visiting Miss Mamie QUINN.

James C. ROSS has a gourd vine that produces fruit the exact shape of hen’s eggs.

Mrs. M. V. HAMILTON with her little daughter, drove up from delhi on a shopping expedition Monday.

Mrs. Dr. POGUE and little daughters Jennie and Annie, of Edwardsville, are visiting friends and relatives here.

Lawrence READY, returned to his home at Wrightsville, and intends to remain in Greene county for the future.

Mrs. T. S. CHAPMAN and children, with Mrs. Alvira LANDON, departed Thursday for Eureka Springs, Ark., for a few weeks sojourn at this celebrated resort.

The Presbyterian sociable held at the residence of G. R. VOORHEES last Thursday nigh, was largely attended.

Lou CAMPBELL of the Democrat office, is suffering with a severe attack of bilious colic.

Will ROACH left for Carthage, Mo., Monday, to assist his brother Neil, on the Democrat.

T. F. REMER, who has been suffering with an attack of the cholera morbus, is now able to be at his store again.

F. LOHMAN Jr., Roodhouse, J. PIKE and wife, and son Fred, of Jerseyville, are at the Dunlap at Jacksonville.

The fronts of the Commercial Hotel and Post Office are undergoing an elaborate decoration, under the direction of Gid FORD.

Among the passengers on the C. & A. for St. Louis Thursday were B. C. VANDERVOORT, Mrs. J. K. SMITH, Mrs. Gertrude JACKSON, Robt. MAYER and Ed CROSS.

J. F. MILES, a student under Gen. PALMER has concluded to make Jerseyville his home. He has lately returned from Kansas.

A party comprising the following people, enjoyed the day among the picturesque surounding of Clifton Terrace Tuesday: Mrs. M. E. Bagley and Miss Brown, of Jacksonville; Mrs. Mark Warren and children, Mrs. Frank Edgar and children, Mrs. H. A. Shephard and son Willie, Mrs. B. C. Vandervoort, Mrs. R. M. Knapp and daughter Sussie, Mrs. Geo. Cockrell, Misses Belle and Kittie Goodrich, Irene Ferguson, Julia Barr and Mrs. A. B. Allen.

Judge A. A. GOODRICH has entered into a law partnership in Chicago with Prussing & Hutchins.

Mrs. John WILKINS of Nebraska, is visiting Mrs. John FOX.

Ed. SUNDERLAND, Denny CONNERS and James SMITH were arrested Tuesday, charged with breaking into Kruger & Hauseman’s saloon Monday night. They were found near the “Bluff Line” tool house playing cards for cigars. They had been laying in Wash PERRING’s field most of the afternoon, drinking liquor that it is supposed they took from the saloon. We interviewed them in jail yesterday, and they told different stories. The first one called on was Smith. He is a well built fellow, 28 years of age, and hails from nowhere. We asked him what other name he went by except Smith and he laughed and said, “Ain’t Smith a good name.” We admitted it was and began questioning him, but soon found he had little to say. He said he had been in this city about two months, but had known Sunderland and Conners only about two weeks that they were smoking some cigars, but that they found them under some lumber at the Wabash yard, did not know anything about any whisky, had not seen any. Leaving him we called on Conners. He came here with the contractors for the water-works, but did not work to their satisfaction and they discharged him. He has been here ever since, and was supposed to be with Sunderland when Erwin’s store was entered, but the evidence was not sufficient to hould him. Conners is 22 years old, and is not what would be called a tough looking fellow, but he could not explain satisfactorily whre he got the cigars, and denied having had any liquor. Among the things stolen were a lot of pennies and Marshal WHYTE found where he had spent several pieces of this kind of money. We next called on Sunderland and he made the following statement: “I was in bed all night the night of the robbery, after nine o’clock and knew nothing of it till the next day. Yesterday I saw Conners and Smith near Houghtlin’s shop, and they told me to come down to the railroad and have a “time.” They left and I went up the railroad to Stryker’s grove and not seeing them, then went south and found them in Wash Perring’s field. They had two bottles of liquor and nearly a box of cigars. I asked where they got it and they said they found it. We staid there quite awhile, and then came up to the place where we were arrested, and played cards for cigars. I don’t know where they got the liquor and cigars only what they said, that they found it in a lumber pile.” After hearing Sunderland’s statement, we called again on Conners. He seemed to be dumfounded when told what Sunderland had said, and finally admitted that he did have two bottles of liquor and a box of cigars, although he had before denied it. He then said that he found them all together, and when we showed the foolishness of such statements flushed up and refused to talk. He said he had intended to go to Fulton to work and now wished he had. From Conners we went to Smith, and after showing him the statements of Sunderland and Conners he admitted they had whisky and cigars and wanted to know what could be done with him if he told the whole story, if it were shown that he knew that the stuff was stolen, and where it was obtained, and then used some of it, but did not help steal it. We did not give him any satisfaction on this point, and he said he would consult an attorney and if he told him it was best to tell it all he would do so. When adked if he had any friends, he said “not here, and those I have in other places I would not tell if I did get into a scrape. I would almost submit to a hanging bee first.” There were brought before Squire Kirkpatrick and the preliminary examination set for one o’clock, Conners and Smith were bound over to the September term of court, under $300 each, and Sunderland released, as he proved an alibi by his mother and W. Pittman.

November 28, 1889

Mrs. M. C. WHIPPLE, and Miss Sallie CUMMINGS, of Jerseyville, who have been visiting with friends in this city for the past week returned home this p.m. – “Litchfield Daily News.”

Mr. Robt. F. MARTIN will leave Alton in a few days to accept a position with his uncle, Mr. J. N. ENGLISH, in the agricultural implement business at Jerseyville — “Alton Telegraph.”

One day last week the residence of Charles JACOBS narrowly escaped being destroyed by fire. A chimney which rested on a bracket near the ceiling fell, the bracket having burned away. The proper way to build chimneys is to stand them on the ground.

Miss Sallie FULKERSON is very sick and last week was in great danger, but we are glad to state that she is now better and hopes are entertained of her recovery.

For Sale. A house containing four rooms with two lots, barn, well and cistern on the premises. On the corner south of P. DARDINGER’s residence. Apply to Mrs. Anna LEARY.

December 5, 1889

Quite a number of our friends from the north side, among whom we noticed the Misses Stella, Lena and Lottie Dowdall, Lulu Spangle, Louesa Henso and Nellie Glass, and the Messrs. John Dowdall, John Falkner, Tom Cummings, Charley Dowdall, Nat Scott and Billie Keys of Otterville, attended a ball at the residence of David Worthy, three miles and a half west of Otterville. A good time was reported and the guests retired at a late hour, having spent a very pleasant evening.

The Drum Corps serenaded W. GILES last night and that gentleman gave an Oyster supper to the boys.

Arrangements are now completed for the building of the new store and warehouse on the site now occupied by J. N. ENGLISH. A stock company has been formed consisting of Messrs. Auten & English and Messrs. Eaton & Crawford, and they will build two fine stores fronting on Pearl street, one to be used for agricultural implements and the other for stoves and hardware. In the second story they will keep a fine assortment of furniture. Thus does our city grow and its citizens keep pace with the times. There is no reason why Jerseyville should not draw the trade for 20 miles around us as well as St. Louis does for 40 miles. Many of our merchants keep as fine goods as can be bought in St. Louis, and sell them cheaper. This has been demonstrated and parties who have gone to the larger city have returned without buying and bought here.

December 26, 1889

D. J. MURPHY spent Friday in Elsah.

Mrs. G. N. BURLEIGH has been visiting friends in Taylorville.

Hi McCLUSKY, the boss at How station, was in town Friday.

Brack ENGLISH was over from Hardin last week.

L. M. CUTTING, Sr., made a trip to Kansas City since our last.

Mrs. Ed BARRY returned with Mrs. Dr. Barry Thursday.

A letter received at Delhi from J. W. LURTON states that the body of “Babe” SCOTT has been found.

Jersey County Democrat, January 2, 1890. Article re-formatted for readability by transcriber. Surnames in capitals letters were not in original. Original text retained. There will be typos.

The Year 1889

The following is a resume of the past year as found in looking over the file of the Democrat. The will be found very interesting and many of our readers will regret the fact they have not preserved the papers.


January 1: Connection mde of Bluff Line with Bee Line at Alton.

January 3: Charles BARNES died in jail.

January 6:
Son born to John HORNE.
Gustave TREPP died in St. Louis of cancer of the liver, aged 31.

January 10: Mrs. Mary STALLING died at Satllings’ Station, Madison county.

January 11: Birthday party at W. HENSON’s, Fieldon.

January 14: Infant son of Judge HERDMAN’s died of inanition.

January 15:
Big pumpkin cut at C. BORGER’s.
Mrs. J. SAYERS won the prize watch.
First train over the St. Louis, Alton & Springfield R.R. to St. Louis.

January 16: Robt. SCHMIDT died.

January 17: Katie, daughter of John J. and Bridget McGRATH died from the effect of falling in a bucket of scalding water.

January 20: Emily RUGGLES died at Sanatarium in St. Louis.

January 21:
Mr. M. CUMMINGS and Miss Nellie SHORTAL were married.
J. G. ERWIN opens grocery store in Odd Fellow’s building.

January 24: Mrs. Max R. BEATTY died.

January 26: Debt paid on Baptist Church and mortgage burned.

January 27:
Boy born to Mr. and Mrs. James LAWSON.
Presbyterians pay off debt on church.

January 28: Coal oil lamp breaks at L. M. CUTTING’s and nearly destroys the house by fire.

January 29:
Mrs. Fannie ELY died at Fidelity of consumption.
Mrs. E. S. DEWEY nee Jennie FRENCH died at Cairo.

January 30: Eugene McREYNOLDS goes into business in St. Louis with James COCKRELL.


February 1: Firm of NEWTON & Son formed.

February 2:
Mr. Josiah VAUGHN moves from Fidelity and rents W. S. HAWLEY’s residence.
Samuel J. DAUGHERTY died near Otterville.

February 3: John A. CORY sold his farm to Charles and Eliza JACKSON for $14,000.

February 7: Rev. F. S. M. TAYLOR delivers his lecture “Blimpses of Europe through American spectacles.”

February 8:
Board of Aldermen from Lebanon inspect our Electric Light Plant.
Mrs. Charles McKINNEY died at Olathe, Kansas.

February 9: John W. SLATEN died at Grafton.

February 12: Harry Lewis, son of Mr. and Mrs. Scott HOLMES, died of diphtheria.

February 13: L. P. SQUIER moves his feed store into the Ware block.

February 14:
Protracted Meeting at Antioch church result in thirty conversions.
Reb. LEHMAN and Miss Mary BAYER were married.
James ARMSTRONG, fireman on the St. L., A & S. R.R., meets with serious accident.

February 20: D. W. BIRKENMEYER and Miss Luella PIGGOTT were married.

February 21: Incipient fire over COWEN’s barber shop.

February 22: Girl baby born to Mr. and Mrs. W. E. CARLIN.

February 23:
Harry DANIELS admitted to partnership with his father as Daniels & Son.
Harry BALDBRIDGE of Rosedale meets with a bad accident.

February 26: Mr. W. BROWN and Miss Mary FITZGERALD were married.

February 27: Episcopal church consecrated.

February 28: Twenty-fifth anniversary of the Democrat.


March 1:
W. LANDON buys out lumber business from Elias COCKRELL.
Mrs. Mary BURNS meets with painful accident, dislocating her shoulder.
Capt. SMITH and Gid FORD arrive in Florida.

March 3:
Henry ENSLOW and Mary K. LAMPERT were married at Kane.
Mrs. Jessie E. WATSON died at Fidelity.

March 4: A ten pound baby girl born to Mr. and Mrs. Geo. STURDEVANT.

March 6:
Fifty-fifth wedding anniversary of Mr. and Mrs. Geo. S. RUE.
Stephen CATT appointed agent of the Jersey County Bible Society.

March 7: School house at Fidelity burned.

March 8: Mrs. Robert POWELL fell out of a buggy and broke her ankle.

March 9:
Little child of Mr. and Mrs. John McGRATH badly scalded.
Geo. E. WARREN, Jr. bought Chas. PERRINE’s residence, corner Exchange and Pleasant streets.
12 pound baby boy born to Mr. and Mrs. Henry BROCKMAN.

March 10: A boy, named Oscar HANIE, eats water parsnips and dies in two hours a Grafton.

March 13: ALLEN & RIPLEY, of Grafton, build a large addition to their store.

March 14: Mr. Fred CHAPPELL and Miss Blanche ASHFORD were married.

March 15: Mrs. Jane G. RUSSEL died, aged 87 years.

March 19: Little child of Mr. and Mrs. John J. McGRATH died from the effects of scalding.

March 22: Joe O’LOUGHTLIN takes a position with T. W. BUTLER as book keeper.

March 26:
Board of Education meets and issues $10,000 worth of bonds to make an extension to the High School.
Wedding of Mr. Jacob RODELL and Miss Helen KRAMER at Fidellity.
Mr. Frve WILSON and Miss Fannie POWELL were married.

March 27:
Mr. John POWELL and Miss Hattie OSBORNE were married.
Lee F. WILSON and Miss Frances POWELL were married.

March 28: John H. BELT, Jr. and Miss Maggie McREYNOLDS were married.

March 30: W. A. SLOVER and Miss Lillie FROST, of McClusky, were married.


April 1: Katherine CASEY died at Kane.

April 3:
Mr. H. P. CALDWELL of Chicago, and Mrs. M. L. McGREADY were married.
Mrs. Fred NAGEL died.

April 4:
Mr. Otis D. LEACH and Miss Lizzie TRABUE were married.
N. T. KIRBY purchased the noted horse Strathmore.

April 5:
Miss Jennie M. STOUT died at Jacksonville.
Thomas K. PHIPPS died at Rosedale.

April 6: Henry SCHWENTKER died at Otterville of consumption.

April 9: John G. KELLER died at his home near Kane.

April 11:
Bat KEIFE builds a fine residence at Grafton.
Allen & Riply moving their new store at Grafton.
Mrs. Josephine WACHENHOUSEN died.

April 15:
Mrs. GOETTEN died at Fieldon, aged 95.
J. EDWARDS carpenter shop burned with the entire contents.
Ground broken for water works.

April 17:
Mr. Charles BIRKENMEYER and Miss Grace HILL were married.
Col. FULKERSON shipped a car load of short-horn bulls to Denver.

April 18: Mr. A. G. KIMBALL of Gillespie and Miss Della BELL were married.

April 19: James STERRITT of Fidelity taken to St. John’s hospital, St. Louis, for treatment.

April 20: Mrs. Jane DAVIS died.

April 22: Alma Christina HELLER, infant daughter of Mrs. Mena HELLER died.

April 24: Small fire occurred in the rear of J. JENNING’s furniture store.

April 25: Kennedy building on South Main Street set on fire, no great damage done.

April 27: Carroll G. BLISH died.

April 28:
John J. POWELL died.
Jack STAFFORD, of Meadow Branch, lost his house and entire contents by fire.

April 30: Maggie, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Wm. LEIGH died.


May 1: Mr. Henry TRANKLE and Miss Alvina BORGER were married.

May 2: Grand Trade’s Carnival takes place.

May 4: Elsah Township gets $800 for the bridge piers.

May 6: Mr. George KELSER, of Collinsville, and Miss Daisy McMAHON were married.

May 9: City accepts bid of Bowman & Ware for water-works bonds.

May 8:
Mr. Henry M. TURK and Miss Harriett KNAPP were married.
Stephen FUNKE bought residence of John WILEY for $8,800.

May 9: Lucinda CALHOUN died, aged 79.

May 10: Remains of Joe NUTT were brought from Jacksonville for interment.

May 14: Judge Richard I. LOWE died, aged 87.

May 15:
Andrew J. PIGGOTT and Miss Lizzie McCOLLISTER were married.
Mr. Bertram DODSON and Miss Rachel VANAUSDALL of Otterville were married at Alton.

May 16:
The Jerseyville Land Improvement Company organized.
Mr. FREEMAN, a brakeman of the Bluff Line, is struck by the cars and his collar bone broken.

May 18: Mr. and Mrs. John B. VOORHEES celebrate their twenty-fifth wedding anniversary.

May 20:
Abram REMER died, aged 78.
Thomas MARSHALL died, aged 74.
Baccalaureate sermon by Rev. TYSON.

May 23:
Graduation exercises of Jerseyville High School.
Conductor ROCKFORD is badly crushed by the cars.

May 24:
Priests of the Jacksonville Deanery meet here.
School bonds awarded to J. W. COPPINGER of Alton.

May 26:
Terrible cyclone swept through the Pan Handle.
Dr. C. W. ENOS closes out business and goes to Denver.
Wm. TESTER and companion steal livery righ from S. L. HILL.

May 27: Mr. Stephen FUNKE and Elizabeth ECK were married.

May 28: Mrs. Mary CUMMINGS died at her home near Delhi, aged 84.

May 29: Joe HAMMELL had his hand crushed in Newton’s shop and loses two fingers.

May 31: James ASHLOCK dislocates his shoulder trying to stop a runaway horse.


June 1:
Board of Education appoint Charles HOWELL superintendent of the new edition to the H. S.
A. F. ELY is elected secretary of the Fair Board, vice L. M. CUTTING, Jr. resigned.
Moses WARD died at Fieldon, aged 79.
Mrs. Geo. H. ROBINSON died at Denver.

June 3:
T. R. SMITH secures the contract to build the new school house at Fidelity.
Dr. C. W. ENOS leaves for Denver to locate.

June 6:
Dr. ESTABROOKE, Homeopathic Physician locates in Jerseyville.
T. F. HANSELL of Elsah died.
Mrs. Rachel C. BACON died.
John GAVIN received injuries at Hutchison, Kans. from which he died.
Corner stone laid of the new school building at Carrollton.

June 11:
Board of Supervisors meet and re-elect P. D. CHENEY chairman.
Valuable mare owned by Walter SKELLY dies from lockjaw.

June 12:
Mr. Geo WEBB and Miss Adele STAFFORD were married.
Max BEATTY falls off a step ladder and is badly hurt.

June 13: Mr. Cornelius ROACH and Miss Anna McCLURE were married.

June 14: Wm. KIRBY meets with a painful accident, bruising him about the head and shoulders.

June 17:
Horse runs away with Chris HARM, throwing him out and dislocating his arm.
Dedication German Lutheran church at Fieldon.
Misses Lucy PAUL and Maggie DARE are thrown froma road cart.

June 19: Roy M., son of Moore C. STELLE, died near Delhi.

June 20:
Mrs. JOHNSON died at Kemper.
Moses HAMER’s residence at East Newbern burned.

June 23:
Baptizing at Dorsey’s branch.
Daniel DAVIS died at Grafton.

June 24: Wm. KIRBY has a stroke of paralysis.

June 25:
Mrs. Mary HOOD and daughter, Elizabeth, left for a tour through Europe.
J. G. SCHWARZ left for a trip through France adn Germany.
Burglars enter the grocery store of J. G. ERWIN’s.

June 26:
Anthony MALLOY died.
James McNABB, editor Carrollton Gazette and Miss Louise PIERSON were married.
Arch F. ELY is thrown by a horse and severely injured.
Charles BORGER and Miss Amelia P. SCHMIDT were married.
Walter GOODRICH was drowned at Neosho Falls, Kansas.

June 27:
Mrs. Mary DUNPHY laid out a new addition to the city.
Henry HERRON has a team of horses torn to pieces while crossing the C. & A. at Kane.

June 29: Sidney NOBLE died at Grafton.

June 30: Mr. Charles BELL and Miss Fannie HIGHFILL were married.

June 31: James H. LONGWELL and Miss Mamie CRANE were married at Fidelity.


July 1: Reb RICHARDS has a fine horse killed by being caught on a picket fence.

July 2: Mrs. Joseph CHAMBERS died at McClusky.

July 3: J. NUGENT brings in the first new wheat and gets 75 cents per bushel.

July 4: Frank D. BRAY and Miss Nellie B. LONG were married.

July 5: Wm. F. LONG, of Davis, West Va., and Mrs. Nora B. HEALEY, of Rosedale, were married.

July 9:
Mr. Harry ELDRIDGE and Miss Alice KELSEY were married at Brighton.
Willis WHITLOW falls from a hay-mow, breaking two ribs and injring his lungs.

July 10:
J. H. RICHARDS bought the Will H. KIRBY farm for 5,000.
Mrs. H. ROCKWELL is seriously burned by a gasoline stove.
C. V. PERRINS buys livery stable of Arch F. ELY.
Frank J. SMITH, of Elbow Lake, Minn., and Miss Annie EGELHOFF were married.

July 11:
Cornelius ROACH takes charge of the Carthage, Mo. Democrat.
Child of Mrs. John LOWE fell out of a buggy causing a severe bruise on the head.
The Otterville Dramatic Co. gave a performance at Otterville.

July 13: L. SE?HAUSEN died at Fieldon.

July 17: Mrs. Dick DAVIS died at Medora.

July 19: Jerseyville Fir Company met at the City Halls and reorganized.

July 20:
Mrs. Mary L. WOOLSEY died near Kane.
Terrible flux epidemic raging in Whitehall.

July 23:
Pumps at the wter-works all in position and fires started under the boilers.
Catherine Ann DARBY died at Jacksonville, Ill.

July 24: Wesley WELCH (colored) goes to Brighton an nearly cuts his wife and her family to pieces.

July 25:
Mrs. Nancy DRAKE died, aged 73.
Wm. DAVIDSON is knocked down by some cattle and severely injured.

July 26: Mrs. Geo. SQUIER taken suddenly ill at the residence of Mrs. Melvin LAMB.

July 27: Sneak thief enters Mrs. Will EGELHOFF’s millinery store.

July 29: The body of Samuel JUSTISON, of Brighton, found in the river at Alton, with a bullet hole under the right eye.

July 30:
Bessie, daughter of H. C. LEAK broke her left arm.
Robert SHORTAL jumped from a separator and dislocated his ankle.

July 31:
Pump at water-works run all night, putting 120,000 gallons of water in the reservoir.
Miss Lucy MURPHY is taken suddenly and dangerously ill.

August 1:
Wm. PITTMAN is employed by the City as water-works engineer.
Herman BROCKMAN puts in a new oven at the National Bakery.

August 4:
Mrs. Lucy CARTER, while on her way home from church at Kemper, attacked by bumble beens and severely injured.
Sarah Louise, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Abram W. LOWE, died of Cholera Infantum.

August 5: Little Jersey celebrates her fiftieth birthday.

August 6: Stryker’s, Dunphy’s and Malott’s additions to Jerseyville platted and approved by City Council.

August 7: City Council makes a rate schedule for water supply.

August 8:
Fire and water committee advertise for bids for hose.
The Piasaqua opened.
Geo. C. VOSBURG, of St. Louis, died at the residence of Mrs. Catherine SCHWARZ.

August 9: Sylvester LAYTON died.

August 15:
Mrs. Emma KING died at the residence of M. J. RICHEY.
Mrs. Isabella BUNSE died at Godfrey.
Ira DAVIS, while handling a revolver, shoots himself in the hand.

August 13:
Mrs. Cora B. CARROLL died of consumption.
Frank FESSLER and Miss BRINKMAN were married.
Ed SUNDERLAND, Denny CONNORS and James SMITH were arrested for breaking into Krieger & Houseman’s saloon.

August 15:
A. D. LOCKE takes charge of the Rep-Ex.
J. F. MILES, attorney, locates in our city.
Judge A. A. GOODRICH enters into partnership with Prussing & Hutchins at Chicago.

August 16: Bud JERNIGAN is run over by a separator, which causes his death.

August 17: James HALLOWAY meets sudden death by being thrown from a wagon at Delhi.

August 19:
Col. FULKERSON shipped 14 short-horn bulls to Wayne, Neb.
Sam FREEMAN shoots and kills John T. MANNING at Kane.
John PERRINGS and Miss Capitola SKELLY married.

August 22:
Ninian C. BEA?Y elected as superintendent of the Fair Grounds.
C. W. CHAPMAN and Miss Emma PRITCHARD married at Kane.
Dr. DuHADWAY operates on five persons with the Brown-Seuard elixir of life.

August 26: Sam FREEMAN, who killed MANNING, captured.

August 27: Advisory board Business Men’s Association meet and appoint Col. W. H. EDGAR to write hand book of city.

August 29:
Sale of the BEEKMAN property to Ed MYERS for $2,525.
John A. SHEPHARD & Co. in their new building.
Margaret, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. F. M. CALHOUN, died at Otterville.

August 31: Rev. Carl WARGOSKI of Fieldon suicides in St. Louis.


September 2: Wm. GILES bought out E. S. SPENCER.

September 3:
Hardware store of Joel E. CORY burglarized.
Burglars try to get into TUNEHORST’s jewelry store.
John B. LYNN and Miss Mary STRYKER married at Springfield, Ill.

September 4: Mrs. R. H. MALTIMORE died of cancer of the stomach.

September 5: Andrew J. MAINS and Minnie HUNTER were married at the National Hotel.

September 6: Child of Jake MOORE thrown from a pony and killed.

September 7: Nick WALLACE fell through a trap door in his barn and sustained severe injuries in the back.

September 8: Lulu, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. George PARKER died.

September 9: Wild train on the St. L., A. & S. run into hand car at Medora, and Dan REAGAN severely cut on the leg.

September 10: Miss Clara BOEHMER buys the Millinery business of Miss Lucy MURPHY.

September 11:
Clarence UPDIKE and Miss Minnie UPDIKE were married.
Major CARLIN thrown from a cart, breaking his left thigh.
John ANDERSON fell from a tree and died from injuries sustained.

September 22: [note, either some dates are out of order or this is a typographical error]
Wm. SIEMERS opens grocery store in the Locke Block.
H. MONTGOMERY killed by the cars at Rockbridge.
Trial of Sam FREEMAN at Carrollton and gets 13 years in the penitentiary.

September 16:
Boy born to Mr. and Mrs. Jas. POWELL at Delhi.
Harlan (?) COULTHARD dislocated his ankle jumping from a wagon.

September 17:
Leo GLASSBRENNER (?) and Anna STANTON were married at East Newbern.
New uniform of the City Band arrives.
Annual Tournament of the Central Illinois shoot opens at Sportsman Park.

September 18: Alton Driving Park opens for the season.

September 19:
John UTT run over by cattle and dangerously hurt.
Young David BEATY thrown from a cart and severely hurt.
Capt. SINCLAIR and Miss Ida COPLEY were married at Alton.

September 21:
Miss Maggie ALLEN died at St. Louis.
Girl born to Mr. and Mrs. BOEDY at East Newbern
Miss Flora RYMAN died at Kemper.

September 22:
John FRY and Miss Nellie ATCHISON were married at Mt. Sterling, Ill.
Mrs. TRACY died at Delhi.

September 23: J. C. LEBENS, of St. Louis, is employed as teacher in the High School.

September 26: Samuel L. POPE died.

September 27:
Mrs. Alice HOWELL died, aged 68.
Hon. John G. MORRISON and Mrs. Ella KING were married at Lincoln, Neb.

September 28: P. G. HAYES and Mrs. Martha HANCOCK were married.

September 29:
Ernest HENSINGER died at Fidelity.
Thos. J. DAVIS killed by accidental discharge of a gun while hunting.


October 1:
Alby BRIGGS has an accident with his team at East Newbern.
Alex ROBB resigns his position in the P.O. and takes charge of Fred JACOBS’ coal business.
Joseph MALONE and Mar QUINN were married.

October 2: PIGGOTT sentenced to the penitentiary five years for horse stealing.

October 3:
Miss Minnie THATCHER employed to teach in the Roodhouse public school.
“Babe Scott” is killed in a steamboat explosion.
Harry N. CORY and Miss Gussie BARR were married.

October 7: Harry ALLEN and Miss Harriett McCORD were married at Blue Island, Ill.

October 9:
Fred H. ROBINSON and Miss Clara Grether BLISH were married.
Infare held at John A. CORY’s, in honor of Mr. and Mrs. H. N. CORY.

October 11: Charles JACOBS and son Fred caught in mill machinery, and each had a hand badly crushed.

October 12: J. MORRIS and Miss Sallie MOORE were married in St. Louis.

October 13: Pope ENGLISH and Maude BELL were married.

October 14:
Mrs. Ellen UPDIKE died, aged 71.
Water in the Illinois river so low that it can be waded.

October 15: Charles W. HARRIS and Annie HISCOTT were married.

October 16:
Mrs. Clarence DAVIDSON and children meet with a bad accident while driving over from Brighton.
William PROUGH and Eliza MAINS married.
Joseph L. TOBER and Mary ELLIOTT, of Kemper, married at Upper Alton.
Maurice HUBBARD (colored) and Fannie SMITH married.

October 17:
Mr. Wade CAREY arrives witht he celebrated horse, Tommy Lynn.
School Board buys the Geo. S. RUE property.
John HUNTER and Hattie GLASS married.
Frederick MOHR and Matilda WITT married.

October 18:
Horse owned by Jesse COCKRELL ran away breaking the buggy in pieces.
James WEDDING, Will ENGLAND and W. GUNTERMAN thrown out of a buggy and all were seriously injured.

October 19: Tramps break in J. C. WINSOR’s (?) and James E. BROOKS’ residences.

October 21:
Charles RAMSEY arrested for stealing from Chas. BOYLE.
Thos. W. BUTLER and Miss Katie HAGERTY married at St. Louis.

October 23:
Mr. L. E. BROWN and Miss Rosa HAMILTON married at Meade Center, Kan.
J. W. UTT and Miss Minnie RIDDLE were married at Roodhouse.
Wm. HEWITT and Anna EKMON married.

October 27: James F. McCLURE died.

October 28: Frank MILES and Rose ENGLISH married.

October 29: James CVLRAY (CYLRAY ?) and Elizabeth POWELL married.

October 30: George GARD and Mary CATT married.


November 1:
Mrs. Sarah BOUITER died, aged 67.
W. A. POTTS died at Morrisonville of consumption.

November 2: Mother Mary died at Jacksonville of dropsical tumor.

November 3:
Peter LONG died of paralysis at Delhi.
Wm. FAULKNER died.

November 4:
Geo. CRANE and Lizzie GODFREY married at Grafton.
Theodore OSCAR and Cora ROGERS married.
Wm. HANLEY and Lucy MURPHY married.
Mrs. Jacob LURTON died at Newburn, aged 79.

November 5:
Bart JOHNSON and Minnie SPENCER married.
First Masonic Lodge organized in Calhoun county.
Fred ROBINSON and Addie IRWIN married.

November 6:
Dr. Ed BARRY moved to Barow (?), Greene county.
Chas. FALES moves to Denver.
Will P. RICHARDS and Lora COWEN married.
Mrs. Susanna DONNALLY died, aged 80.
Ella L. PERRINGS died in Macoupin County.

November 7:
James L. HARRIS and Mary K. THATCHER married.
Grant LEONARD becomes the father of an 8 1/2 pound girl baby.
George A. ROWLING and Nona SLATEN married at Otterville.

November 12: Eugene GASKINS and Maggie McADAMS married.

November 14: Mr. and Mrs. John CARRICO celebrate their fiftieth wedding anniversary.

November 15:
Son of Aleck SHAW thrown from a horse at Fieldon and died in two hours.
Robert NEWTON elected President Fair Board.

November 18:
John G. BUCKLEY and Julia TIMMONS married at Houston, Texas.
Thos. WOOD and Laura LONG married.
Mrs. Priscilla Ann WOOLSEY died at Auburn.

November 19: Daughter born to Mr. and Mrs. Lute BEATY.

November 21:
T. W. BUTLER moves his grocery store to the Famous building.
Dr. A.A. SHOBE and Wm EMBLY perfect an electric railway system.
N. W. GLENN gets machinery to manufacture sash, doors and blinds.

November 27: Wm. SMITH, of Merritt, bought Wm. BURN’s residence for $2,300.

November 28:
Isaac M. FREE and Catherine CARROLL married at Salem.
Nick B. EGELHOFF and Effie Mae BURLEIGH married.


December 4:
Albert SCHERMERHORN and May GARNEY married.
Board of Supervisors order water from the city put in jail and Clerk’s offices.
Frank WARREN sold N. T. KIRBY’s 5 year-old stallion, “Robert H.” for $625,00 [sic].
R. H. CLARK secured the contract to build the new building for Geo W. WARE.

December 8: John CHAPMAN has a separator run over him, injuring him severely.

December 11: Will FITZPATRICK died of typhoid fever.

December 12: Mr. STRYKER will move his stock farm from Springfield here.

December 13: Billy EDWARDS, from Grafton, went into Missouri and committed suicide by taking “Rough on Rats.”

December 14:
Ed SPENCER sells his residence to Lydia A. and Susanna DONNELY for $1,100.
Sam DARLINGTON lost a valuable horse.
Mike RUEBEL died at Grafton of pneumonia.
Charley AMBERG broke one of his legs at Grafton.

December 15:
Mrs. John BOUSKA died.
Girl baby born to Mr. and Mrs. Charles RICE at Fidelity.

December 16:
Major CARLIN walked out on crutches for the first time.
Wm. BURNS commenced to build in Mrs. DUNPHY’s addition.

December 18:
J. N. ENGLISH moved into the Harrington building.
The great hunt takes place, 12 on a side, they killed 487 rabbits and two hawks.
Will BELL discovers fire in Wm. KROTSCH’s house.
Mrs. Josephine HAYDEN died at Denver.

December 20: Jennie STELLE met with a painful accident while ascending steps to the High School.

December 21:
James A. BARR dislocates his ankle while driving a fractious team.
Mrs. Mary E. UTT died at St. Louis.

December 23: Guy EDWARDS is thrown from his horse and badly bruised.

December 25:
Church of the Holy Ghost celebrated three solemn High Masses.
W. T. SQUIER married at Santa Cruz, Cal.
All day shoot at Sportsman’s Park.

December 31:
Dr. B. F. FARLEY died at Elsah.
Water put in High School building.

Jersey County Page     Newspapers List
No surnames tagged for this post.