Jersey County was founded on February 28, 1839, and was formed out of Greene County. The county was named for the state of New Jersey, from which many of the early settlers emigrated – which was itself named for the Channel Island of Jersey in Great Britain. The area quickly evolved into several small agricultural communities. As the area soon began to flourish, a county government was established and a courthouse was built in Jerseyville, the county seat. The present courthouse was built in 1893.
These pages are a part of the ILGenWeb Project. They provide a resource for genealogists searching in Jersey County, Illinois. You can post queries about surnames you are researching, see who else might be researching the same names as yourself, ask volunteers to do reference look-ups, volunteer to do reference look-ups, and get information on searching in Jersey County. My name is Dennis Partridge, and I am currently the county-coordinator of Jersey County, you can contact me if you have any questions. I do not live in Jersey County, or Illinois, but I will attempt to answer your research questions or point you in the direction of somebody who can.
Please submit any articles related to the history of Jersey County and its people. Information should be historical or genealogical in nature and only reference deceased persons. Please include your full name which will be referenced in your contribution, your email address and the source. You can use our contact form to submit your information.
Jersey County Genealogy Records
- Jersey County Timeline, and place names.
- Jersey County History, book indexes, people, places, history
- Register of Births, Index 1860-1900+
- 1879 Births
- Jersey Co. Marriages, 1839-1841+
- Jersey Co. Marriages, Books 1 – 4
- Jersey Co. Tax Lists
- 1872 Atlas, Subscribers
- Jersey County Census, 1840-1870, 1900-1930 Indexes & Transcriptions 1850 & 1860 Mortality Schedules, 1870 is missing.
- Index to Register of Deaths 1878-1900+
- Deaths 1851-53, 1882-84, 1889, 1893-95 partial lists from newspapers
- Jersey County Probate Index
- Funeral Records
- Jersey County Obituaries Index A-Z
- Jersey County Obituaries
- Jersey County Cemeteries, Information, Photos, Burial Index, Lists of Burials, and Burials in Abandonded Cemeteries
- Early Settlers
- Naturalization Index – Updated
- The Quest for Gold, Jersey County Company of emigrants to California
- Jersey County Military Records
- Black History
- Biographies, Jersey County
- Jersey County Photo Album
- Newspaper Excerpts , people & history, Various dates – 1840 – 1950s
- Early Newspaper Ads
- Jersey County ILGenWeb Archives
- Jersey County Early Land Owners
- Jersey County Townships PageEarly Land Owners, Cemeteries for townships.
- Jerseyville History
- Jersey County Schools
- Early memories School Days
- Radio Watching
- Lookups This list is very out of date. Please report outdated addresses.
- Post & Review Queries
- View Old Query Book & Surname File
Jersey County GenWeb Success Story
Jersey County Research
- Addresses for Jersey County Research
- Jersey County Historical Society. Jersey County Historical Society, 601 N. State St., Jerseyville, IL 62052, phone 618-498-3514, open on Thursday afternoon 1 until 4, Friday and Saturday from 10 until 4.
- Family Histories located at the Jersey County Historical Society, partial list.
- Illinois State Archives Online Databases. Has a global search of all databases. Records include: Public Domain Land Tract Sales, Illinois Servitude and Emancipation Records, Illinois Veterans, Illinois Statewide Marriage Index (1763-1900), Illinois Death Certificates, pre-1916 and 1916-1950, Records in the Illinois Regional Archives Depositories (IRAD).
- Jerseyville Library Resources
- Illinois Gazetteer 1864 – Illinois state gazetteer and business directory, for the years 1864-5 (1864) or flip book view. Illinois Gazetteer 1864. Large files.
Links to Jersey County Families, Information
- Reddish Murder Mystery
- French Family – CARTER, FOLEY, FRENCH, GUNN, LYON, McGUIRE, MURPHY, READ, SCHNEIDER, WHITE
- Conklin Family
- Daisy’s Roots – Yvonne James-Henderson’s line.
- Hutchinson and Barnum, Bailey & Hutchinson Circus
- CORY, CHAFFIN – listed under CONVERSE and ROBISON
- KALAL (KALLAL)
- WESTFALL genealogy – Westfall, Kraushaar. My Childhood Memories for life in Jersey Co. 1940s – 1950s.
- DUNHAM family, Jerseyville, Illinois. GRAVES, GIBSON, PARKER, BEEMAN.
- ASH family.