Jersey County ILGenWeb, copyright Judy Griffin 2005. In keeping with our policy of providing free information on the Internet, data and images may be used by non-commercial entities, as long as this message remains on all copied material. These electronic pages cannot be reproduced in any format for profit or for other presentation without express permission by the contributor(s).
Cooper’s History of Jerseyville, pp. 77-92
Physicians (past and present), Dentists
Rev. Marshall M. Cooper, History of Jerseyville, Illinois 1822 to 1901, Jerseyville Republican Print, 1901, pp. 77-92. Not a complete transcription, there will be errors, typos.
Physicians of the Past
The first practicing physician in Jerseyville was Dr. A. H. Burritt who came here in 1833 before the town was laid out, and was among its first settlers. His home and office were in a log cabin which he erected on the corner of Exchange and Pleasant streets. He was of the old allopathic school. He died in 1875.
Dr. Edward Augustus D’Arcy was the next, coming the same year, 1833, and settled on land, which he entered, north of Jerseyville. He was born in Hanover, Morris county, N.J., April 15, 1796, and died in Jerseyville, April 25, 1863, at the age of 67 years.
Dr. John W. Lott came to Jerseyville in 1834. He practiced only a short time, when he returned to New Jersey, his native state.
Dr. James C. Perry, a native born Scotchman, who had served in the British army for seven years, came to Jerseyville in 1838. He was considered a skillful practitioner, and an upright man in all his practice, and was never known to oppress the poor for payment of medical aid. The writer remembers well going after him in time of sickness. He practiced here until his death in May 1859.
Dr. Edwin Casey came next, about 1840, and practiced successfully until his death, March 22, 1874, age 66 years. He lived in the first house west of the Baptist church.
Next came Dr. R. H. Van Dyke, about the year 1840, and was one of the prominent physicians until his death, September 6, 1845.
Dr. James Bringhurst came to Jerseyville about 1850, and entered into partnership with Dr. D’Arcy. From 1850 to 1857 he practiced in Jerseyville, Springfield and Chicago, and from 1857 to 1861 in Jerseyville only. In April 1861 he enlisted as surgeon in the 28th Illinois Infantry. He was afterwards promoted to Brigade surgeon. His health in the army failing, he returned to Jerseyville where he remained a short time, when he moved to Alton. He died in Ruyle township, June 23, 1870.
Dr. R. D. Farley was one of the early doctors, coming sometime in the “forties.” In 1852 he was county physician. He was born Dec. 3, 1808, and died in Jerseyville, Sept. 27, 1884. He was the first homeopathic physician in the city. He was well and highly esteemed by all who knew him.
Dr. Augustus R. Knapp came to Jerseyville in 1844, and had a large and extensive practice, and died at his residence, July 13, 1862.
Dr. John L. White was one of Jerseyville’s prominent physicians. While here, he was married to Miss Hattie Hawley in 1858. He was born in Massachusetts in 1832, came to Jerseyville in 1852, and in 1870 he moved to Bloomington, Ill., where he still resides.
Dr. H. C. Harriman, in the “fifties,” became one of the physicians of Jerseyville, and died here March 12, 1858.
Dr. Wm. Hutchinson, a native of Kentucky, a much honored and beloved physician, practiced here a number of years until his death, Jan. 24, 1864.
Dr. John B. Hamilton, second child of Rev. B. B. and Mary A. Hamilton, studied medicine under Dr. J. O. Hamilton of Jerseyville, and after graduating at Rush Medical College, February 1870, he formed a partnership with his uncle, Dr. J. O. Hamilton. In May 1869 he became a member of the State Medical Society, and at a meeting was appointed a member of the committee on surgery. He rose so rapidly to high positions in his profession that he was commissioned Surgeon-General of the United States marines. He died in Chicago, 1899.
Charles A. Knapp, M.D., was the son of Dr. A. R. Knapp. He studied medicine with his father and afterwards graduated from McDowell’s Medical College, St. Louis, Mo. He commenced the practice of medicine in Kane, Greene county, Ill., and after two years located in Jerseyville, where he took up the practice of his father who then went to California, and returned in 1854. On account of failing health Dr. Knapp removed with his family to California, where he died in 1856.
Dr. Augustus R. Knapp came to Jerseyville in 1844, where he had an extensive practice. He was a member of the constitutional convention to revise the Constitution of Illinois in 1847. In 1849 he went to California where he was quite successful in his search for gold. He died in Jerseyville, July 13, 1862. Mrs. Knapp survived her husband until 1868.
C. G. Buffington, M.D. was born in Jerseyville, Ill., May 22, 1858. In 1881 he graduated at the Missouri Medical College, St. Louis. Returning to Jerseyville about one year afterwards, he located at Fieldon. His practive was so successful that it extended over Jersey, Greene and Calhoun counties, and was one of the largest and most lucrative in the county.
Joseph Ormond Hamilton, M.D. was born in Monroe county, Ill., April 2, 1824. He was the youngest child of Thomas M. and Alpha Hamilton. From 1843 to 1845 he attended Ohio University at Athens, Ohio. He then began the study of medicine with Dr. Silas Parker. He afterwards continued his studies with Dr. Wm. Blackstone. In 1846 he came to Jerseyville and practiced under Dr. James C. Perry, and old and honored practitioner of Jerseyville. In 1849 he attended lectures at the Medical University of Missouri, graduating March 4, 1850. He then commenced the practice of medicine in Grafton, Illinois. In May 1851 he was married to Margarette Perry, daughter of Dr. Perry of Jerseyville. In 1852 he entered into partnership with his father-in-law, with whom he practiced until January 1853. Dr. Perry died in 1858. Dr. Hamilton was one of the most celebrated physicians of the West. Much of his writings can be found in the American Medical Association Journal, volumes of 1870 and 1872. He was President of the Illinois Medical Society, convened at Peoria, May 1871. He was a delegate to the American Medical Associations held at Cincinnati, New Orleans, Washington, Philadelphia, and San Francisco. In 1867 he was appointed surgeon for the United States pension office of this district, and acted as examining surgeon for six of the most prominent insurance companies in the United States. He died August 21, 1882.
Charles W. Enos, M.D. located in Jerseyville, Jan. 29, 1874. He was born in Madison Co., Ill., Dec. 13, 1849 and is the son of Dr. C. R. and Eliza An (Thorpe) Enos. When young he received a good education, attending the State Normal School at Bloomington, Ill., and the State University at Champaign. After teaching for a while he decided to study medicine, with a view of making that his life work. He graduated at the Homeopathic Medical College of Missouri in 1874, and received the prize for surgery. He then came to Jerseyville and opened an office on the day of his arrival, and within two hours received his first patient who was dangerous with pneumonia, being the daughter of David M. Houghtlin. He was a marvel of success. In 1881 he took a course of lectures on the eye and ear at the New York Opthalimic Hospital, also an operating course on the eye and ear under the celebrated Dr. Knapp. He has operated as a specialist with these organs, and stands at the head of his profession. He was a devoted Christian man, and a temperance worker.
T. A. Kingston, M.D. was born in St. Louis, Mo., January 22, 1832. He was reared in Collinsville, Ill., where he received his early education and entered on the study of medicine in the office of Dr. Drake, in Collinsville. He graduated from the old McDowell Medical College of St. Louis. At the opening of the war he entered the service as contract surgeon in the department under Gens. Thomas, Vandevere, Frank P. Blair and Kirkpatrick, under whose department he served through the campaign of Georgia, Tennessee, North and South Carolina, with honor and credit as a surgeon. At the close of the war in 1865, he entered the practice of his profession, locating at Fidelity, Ill., where he gained a large and lucrative practice. On April 30, 1870 he was married to Miss Kate Frost of Fidelity. Three children are the fruits of this marriage, Mrs. Louis Jacoby, Jerseyville, Ill., and Misses Josie and Lula. Dr. Kingston died at his home in Jerseyville, January 8, 1900, age 67 years, 11 months and 17 days.
Albro B. Allen, M.D. was born in Lincoln county, Missouri, April 23, 1840. He was the youngest son of Edwin and Jane Allen, and the last living of seven children. He received his early education in the public schools of his county. At a very early age he expressed a desire for the study of medicine. He accordingly entered the Missouri Medical College in 1855, and graduated from that institution in 1858, at the age of 18. In the spring of 1859 he located in Hamburg, Ill., and there began the practice of his profession. After practicing there for two years he moved to Hardin, Calhoun county, Ill., where he practiced for 12 years. Leaving Hardin he practiced for about two years in Kane, then in 1875 he located in Jerseyville where he remained (except a short interval he was in St. Louis) up to the time of his death. He was married in 1867 to Mrs. M. E. Revere in Council Bluffs, Iowa, each possessing a daughter by a former marriage. On February 25, 1892 they celebrated the 25th anniversary of their marriage. Dr. Allen was a specialist in his profession, and was known and sought after far and wide. He was emphatically a benefactor in his day. A man of strong will power and indomitable courage, he bore patiently his sufferings, and in a cheerful spirit, when others with less will-power would have succumbed. He died at his home, surrounded by family and friends, March 25, 1899, age 58 years, 11 months and 2 days.
George H. Knapp, M.D. was born in Kane, Greene county, Ill., April 19, 1840. He was the youngest son of Dr. A. R. and Catherine E. Knapp. He received his early education in the public schools of Jerseyville, but finished his literary education in Illinois College at Jacksonville, Ill. He studied medicine first with his father, Dr. A. R. Knapp, and afterwards in the office with Dr. A. K. VanHorne. He graduated at the Missouri Medical College in St. Louis, Mo., with high honors, April 1861. In the fall of 1861, he was commissioned assistant surgeon of the 61st Regiment, Illinois Volunteers Infantry, of which J. B. Frey was Colonel. He was again commissioned surgeon of the same regiment and served during most of the civil war, participating in many hard and bloody battles. While in front of Vicksburg he attended Gen. U. S. Grant through a severe sickness, and ever afterwards General Grant was his warm friend. On October 20, 1868 he was married to Miss Henrietta F. Veitch, of St. Louis. To them were born three children: Maude, now the wife of Hon. Harry W. Pogue, Veitch, and Will B. Knapp, all of whom survive him. He practiced medicine first in Jerseyville, Mason City, Ill., St. Louis, and during his last years, practiced again in Jerseyville. He died September 20, 1895, after a few hours of great pain, arising from stomach troubles. As a physician he stood at the head of his profession, and was a social and genial friend and companion, as the writer knew him well.
Henry Z. Gill, M.D. was born in Pennsylvania, Oct. 6, 1831. He was a graduate of Jefferson Medical College, Philadelphia, and began practicing in Columbus, Ohio, where he remained until the breaking out of the civil war, when he enlisted in the three months’ service and served four and one-half years. He arose from assistant surgeon to surgeon of volunteers of the rank of Lieutenant-Colonel, which position he held to the close of the war. He then spent two years in Europe, and after returning settled in St. Louis, and, in connection with Dr. W. S. Edgar, published the “Medical Journal.” On April 26, 1873 he came to Jerseyville where he practiced until 1881, he took charge of the Southern Illinois Penitentiary, and in November 1883, resigned to accept the chair of surgery in the Worcester Medical College at Cleveland, Ohio.
George Sumrall, M.D. came to Jerseyville, Mar. 1, 1872. In 1876 he was mover and drafter before Jersey County Medical Society, of a greeting to State Medical Association, praying that body to secure such legislative action as would compel higher medical education, and partially rid out state of quacks. In response to said greeting, the State Medical Association appointed a committee which spent the next winter at Capital, memorialized the Legislature, and secured the enactment of our state medical act, and the appointment of our State Board of Health, which has saved our state millions of dollars, and her citizens untold sufferings.
W. W. Estebrooke, M.D. came to Jerseyville from Chicago in August 1890. He was a cultured gentleman and a physician of high standing, of the homeopathic school. After a successful professional career, he retired from active practice and returned to Chicago in November 1898, where he now resides.
Dr. Ward also practiced in Jerseyville for some ten years, but mostly in Fieldon, Illinois.
Dr. Charles Edgar, another physician of the past, a graduate of medicine, but owned and conducted a durg store for many years, I am told did but little practicing.
There were some other physicians who practiced medicine in Jerseyville and attained some prominence, and I would be pleased to write concerning them more at length, but reliable information seems impossible to be obtained. Among this number is Dr. Lyons who was early in the “sixties” a partner with Dr. DuHadway, and assistant surgeon in the Union army, and a cousin of General Lyons who was killed at the battle of Wilson Creek. He was considered a smart, cultured gentleman and a good physician.
Physicians of the Present
The first to put on the list of present time active physicians of Jerseyville is A. K. VanHorne. He is the oldest practicing physician in the city. He was born in Schoharie county, N.Y., April 2, 1831, and immigrated with his parents to Jersey county in 1833, being about two years old. He was emphatically a Jersey county boy, and now more emphatically a Jersey county man, having been a resident of Jersey county, except when away attending college, for 68 years. In 1852, now 48 years ago, he began the study of medicine with Dr. Charles A. Knapp in Jerseyville. He attended medical lectures in Missouri Medical College in St. Louis in 1853 and 1854. In the fall of 1855 he took a course in Jefferson Medical College, Philadelphia, from which he graduated in 1856. He returned to Jerseyville and that same year he entered the practice of medicine for life. In 1871 and 1872 he returned to Philadelphia and took another course of lectures. He spared no expense or pains that he might be a competent and safe man for the people to trust their own lives, and that of their family, in his hands. His successful practice here in Jerseyville of 45 years, and the confidence the people repose in him, will testify to his ability and success.
Allen A. Barnett was born in Louisville, Ky., Feb. 6, 1830. Received his early education at Clark County Seminary in Charlestown, Ind. Entered Miami University, Oxford, Ohio in the fall of 1847, and graduated in a classical course in 1851. Entered the medical department of the University of Louisville, Ky. in the fall of 1851, graduating there in 1853. Returning to said University in the fal of 1853, was appointed assistant demonstrator of anatomy. In the spring of 1854 he began the practice of his profession at Oxford, Ohio, remaining there until the spring of 1862. During his year he removed to Jersey county, near Jerseyville, shortly afterwards moved into Jerseyville, where he has practiced medicine continuously up the the present time, 1901, having practiced medicine without cessation for 48 years.
Dr. Caleb Du Hadway was educated at the Ohio University, Athens, Ohio, and at Oxford College, Butler county, Ohio. After completing his literary education, he began reading medicine with Dr. Orlando Miller, of Jackson Court House, Ohio, and attended medical lectures at the Ohio Medical College, Cincinnati, Ohio, for the years 1856-59. Received his diploma from that college in March 1859. After the expiration of one year he entered on the practice of his profession at Hamden, Vinton county, Ohio. In 1862 he entered the Confederate army as surgeon of the 9th Kentucky Regiment, and remained in the service until August 1864. September 3, 1864 he came to Jerseyville and immediately began the practice of medicine. In 1866 the Missouri Medical College conferred on the doctor the degree of “Adeundum.” In 1868 he used carbolic acid as a local anesthetic, and in the medical journals has the credit of being the first discoverer. Dr. Du Hadway was elected President of the Jersey County Medical Society at its annual meeting in April 1872. He has always stood at the head of his profession and has gained a good reputation, and the respect of all who knew him. At this present writing, May 1901, he is an invalid, and his days of going in and out among his people, healing the sick, allaying the pains of the distressed, comforting the sorrowing, will probably soon be ended.
Dr. A. A. Shobe is worthy to be ranked among the leading physicians for Jerseyville. He came to this city in the spring of 1873 from Franklin county, Mo., his native State, and was born August 24, 1846. At the age of 14 he attended the Academy at Kirkwood, St. Louis county, preparatory to a military education at West Point. But the breaking out of the civil war interrupted his plans, and in 1862 joined the Confederate army and remained in the service until the close of the war. He then entered the Christian Brothers College, St. Louis, where he completed his literary education. He then began the study of medicine, graduating at McDowell’s College in 1868-69. He then began the practice of medicine in Franklin county, Mo., and continued until coming to Jerseyville in the spring of 1874, and continued in practice since.
Dr. Charles R. Enos was born in Madison county, N.Y., March 1815. In 1874 he graduated from the Homeopathic Medical College of Missouri, and has since been a practicing physician. In April 1882 he came to Jerseyville and in company with his son, Dr. C. W. Enos, practiced medicine until his sone moved to Denver, Col. On account of age and infirmities, at the ripe old age of 85 years, he has retired from the active practice of medicine.
Dr. Edward L. H. Barry was born in the city of Cork, Ireland, and educated at St. Stephen’s Hospital, a Protestant Episcopal School. None but Protestant Episcopal children could be educated there, according to the character of the endowment. Shortly after leaving his school he embarked to America, and arrived at New York, June 1850. He received his medical education at Rush Medical College of Chicago, graduating in February 1860. Shortly after graduating he settled in Delhi, Ill., where he married Miss Amanda E. Black. At the breaking out of the civil war, he raised Company H, of the 97th Illinois Volunteers Infantry. He passed successfully his medical examinations before the Government Board of examiners and was commissioned as first assistant surgeon of the 130th Illinois Vol. Inf. After six months of hardship on the field he was compelled to resign. After two years reast and recuperation, he was re-commissioned in September 1863, in the 80th Ill. Vol. Inf. He was in several of the bloodiest battles of the war. He resigned his commission in 1864, and resumed the practice of medicine again in Delhi, Ill., and in the spring of 1867, he moved to Jerseyville where he has had a large and lucrative practice ever since. As a man and a physician he has been highly respected.
Dr. Henry R. Gledhill was born in Jerseyville, Jan. 15, 1869. He received his early education in the public schools of Jerseyville, and is a graduate of the Jerseyville High School, class of 1887. In the fall of 1887 he entered Harvard University, graduating in a full classical course in 1891. In the fall of 1891 he entered the College of Physicians and Surgeons in New York City, graduating there in 1894. In October 1894 he came to Jerseyvile and began the practice of his profession, where he remains in practice to the present time, 1901.
Albert M. Wiles, D.O. began the practice of Osteopathy in Jerseyville, Feb. 1, 1900. Office over Oscar Hill’s News Stand. Graduated at the “American School of Osteopathy” at Kirksville, Mo., January 31, 1900. He finished his literary education at the State Normal School of Kirksville, Mo. Dr. Wiles is an exemplary young man and is fast gaining a lucrative practice.
Dr. John S. Williams was born Aug. 27, 1839 in Simpson county, Kentucky, where he remained until he was 14 years of age. He then moved with his mother to Lincoln county, Mo., his father being dead. While living here he attended the High School at Truxton, Mo., and shortly afterwards he entered “Iowa State University” at Keokuk, Iowa, graduating in 1865 in the medical department of that institution. During that year he had charge of a ward in the hospital, attending sick and wounded soldiers. He then came to Jersey county, Ill., locating at Otterville, where he practiced his profession until 1870, when he went to St. Louis and took a course of lectures at St. Louis Medical College, graduating in 1871. He then returned to Otterville and resumed his practice. Dr. Williams moved to Jerseyville, August 1891, where he still continues his practice. He was married in September 1867 to Miss Millie Close, a native of Illinois. Of this union two children were born – Lucy E., who died in 1882 at the age of 13 years, and Jesse Franklin, who died in infancy. Mrs. Williams died in February 1873. In December 1873 Dr. Williams was married to Maggie Blackstock, a native of Wisconsin. By this unin there were three children born, one dying in infancy, and Dalton Hall, and John B., both now living. He is the owner of a farm of 412 acres, located near Otterville in Jersey county. He is a member of the State Medical Society, and of the American Medical Association; also, of the I.O.O.F. and Masonic Fraternities. He has been coroner two terms. His office rooms are on the corner of Washington and Exchange streets. He is a busy man, and has a lucrative practice. He is surgeon at Jerseyville of the C.P. & St. L.R.R.
Dr. Miles B. Titterington was born in Rock Island county, Ill., July 13, 1870. Attended Shurtleff College in 1888-89. Attended the College of Physicians and Surgeons in St. Louis. Began the practice of medicine in the spring of 1894 in Kansas, and after remaining there about two years, returned to St. Louis to take another course in medicine and surgery, afterwards locating in Hardin, Calhoun county, Ill. He left Hardin and went to Ohio and spent some time in special study in surgery, coming to Jerseyville, Oct. 1, 1898. After practicing here alone about one and one-half years, he formed a partnership with Dr. Josephy W. Enos, April 1, 1900.
Dr. Joseph W. Enos was educated at the State Normal School, Bloomington, Ill. Began the study of medicine at Pulte Medical College, at Cincinnati, in 1879. Afterwards spent one year in the city hospital at Cincinnati. Attended the Hahnemann Medical College and Hospital at Chicago, where he graduated in 1881. Practiced in the hospitals at St. Louis, Chicago and Philadelphia at different times. A graduate of E. H. Pratt’s post graduate course. Also attended one cours of J. T. Kent’s school for post graduates. Studied medicine with, and practiced with Dr. C. W. Enos. Finally located at Edwardsville, Ill., where he practiced medicine and surgery for six years. Afterwards located in Alton, and was connected with the Enos Sanitarium for five years. After a rest of two years, re-located at Jerseyville, where he is now one of the proprietors of the Enos-Titterington Hospital and Sanitarium in Jerseyville, Ill.
Miss S. Cordelia Enos attended Elmira College from 1865 to 1870. Began the study of medicine at the Hahnemann Medical College at Chicago, where she graduated in 1891. Began immediately after graduation, the practice of her profession in Alton, at the Enos Sanitarium, remaining ther about four years, when she came to Jerseyville, where she practiced medicine for about two years. Leaving Jerseyville, she began the practice of her profession in Youngstown, Ohio, about 1897, where she remained a short time, being called home by her mother’s illness. After her mother’s death she remained at home, when she gave up the practice of her profession for the cares of the household.
Dr. Lyman T. Waggoner was born February 22, 1850, in Jersey county, Illinois, where he resided until eight years of age, when he moved with his parents to Montgomery county, Illinois. He attended the public schools of those counties, including the Jerseyville High School. Also he attended the Indiana Normal School, from which he graduated in 1879. Later on he took up the study of medicine, and on March 5, 1889, graduated with distinction from the Missouri Medical College at St. Louis, which at that time was the higher medical department of the University of Missouri, after which he completed a course in the st. Louis Post Graduate School of Medicine, receiving a diploma of attendance from that institution. For more than eleven years he has practiced medicine, and in May 1901, located in Jerseyville where he now has offices over the National Bank, on the northwest corner of Main and Pearl Streets.
Wm. E. Holland, D.D. S., entered Pennsylvania Dental College, October 1884. Came to Jerseyville, May 1887. Entered into co-partnership with Dr. G. S. Miles, in the old Fisher building. Moved into the Snedeker building October 1887, and in November 1888, dissolved partnership. In this office he carried on his profession until January 1, 1900, he moved into the Odd Fellows’ buildng, where he now remains.
Henry Warner Rich, D.D.S., attended the Chicago College of Dental Surgery from 1894 to 1897. Opened office in Jerseyville, on Main street, August 1897, where he has pursued his profession successfully to the present time.