Jersey County ILGenWeb, copyright Judy Griffin 2002. In keeping with our policy of providing free information on the Internet, data and images may be used by non-commercial entities, as long as this message remains on all copied material. These electronic pages cannot be reproduced in any format for profit or for other presentation without express permission by the contributor(s).
Part 1 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4 Part 5 Part 6 Part 7 Part 8 Part 9 Part 10 Part 11 Part 12 Part 13 Part 14 Part 15
There are now four banks in Jerseyville, each and all having a sound financial backing, and the entire confidence of their several patrons. The first bank in Jerseyville was established in 1854 by A. M. BLACKBURN, which bank was afterwards organized under the state law as the Jersey County Bank with Wm. Blackburn as president and George R. SWALLOW as cashier. In 1859 the banking house of DArcy & Cheney was established which was the only bank during the troublous times of the war. In 1866 DArcy and Cheney were succeeded by Cross & Swallow, and they were succeeded in 1872 by Cross, Carlin & Co., who conducted the business until 1876 when the first National bank was established, which bank is now in operation. The present bank of Bowman & Ware was established by Wm Shephard & Co., in Feb. 1866, and in 1877 this firm was succeeded by Wm. Shephard & Son, and in 1875 by the present firm. The present bank of M. E. BAGLEY was started Sept. 1881 by W. E. CARLIN and M. E. BAGLEY and continued under the firm name of Carlin & Bagley until March 1, 1885 when Mr. Carlin went out and Mr. Bagley continued in charge of the business. The present banking house of J. A. Shephard & Co. was established Nov. 1, 1883. The firm consists of John A. A. M., and H. A. SHEPHARD. It is a private bank and does a general banking business. This bank has recently been moved from its old stand on Pearl street, to Shephards block on South State Street.
The first grist mill in the county was erected in Jersey Township in 1828, by Gershom PATTERSON. It stood east of what is known as the John BROWN place and was operated by a tread mill, run by cattle. The first mill at Jerseyville was a wind mill built by James GARESCHE about the year 1839. The old Dodson mill – an old land mark, was built around 1851 by a man named YOUNG. This mill changed hands a great many times until 1873 when it came into the possession of Theodore DODSON who completely remodeled it and made its capacity 125 barrels per day. Theodore Dodson had associated with him Frank M. DODSON and W. D. CURTIS and the management becoming dissatisfied with the mill determined to erect a new one supplied with all modern appliances. This they did in 1884-85 having selected a location near the Junction of the then Wabash and Chicago & Alton railroads. The new mill with its improved machinery is a model mill with a capacity of 200 barrels per day. The Jacobs mill now running was built in 1866 by David R. ROSS at a cost of about $16,000. He sold it shortly after to S. L. CORY who with others ran it until 1873 when the present proprietor took it. This mill has recently been overhauled and supplied with the latest improved machinery. The Jerseyville Mills – the first steam mill in Jerseyville and in the county was erected by ADAMS & FRENCH in 1849. This mill in time became the leading grist mill of the county and during its lifetime was a great factor in the prosperity of Jerseyville. It was owned successively by McGill & Blackburn, McGill & Harbert, Dick McGILL and Samuel DAVIS, Paris, Johnson & Nevius, Goodrich & Nevius who came in possession in 1863-65 and continued the owners until the mill burned in 1876. In 1853-54 the mill was enlarged to a capacity of 150 barrels per 24 hours. The Empire mill was built by a Mr. YOUNG in 1853-54. Shortly after Mr. W. B. NEVIUS became a partner and the mill was enlarged to a merchant mill with a capacity of 100 barrels per day. The mill passed through several hands until it burned in 1879. Louis SCHAAF built a steam mill in 1851-52 on what is now known as the spoke factory lot. This mill burned in 1854 and was rebuilt in 1855 with a capacity of 150 barrels per day, when Schaaf and Longstreet conducted it until it burned again in 1858.
There are three steam grain elevators in Jerseyville, viz. E. Cockrell & Co. The Stanard Elevator Co. and the Massey Elevator, with capacities ranging from 20,000 to 40,000 bushels. The Stanard Elevator was erected in 1876 and has a storage capacity of 40,000 bushels. The Cockrell Elevator was erected by Geo. C. COCKRELL in 1867 and has also a capacity of 40,000 bushels.