Jersey County ILGenWeb, copyright Judy Griffin 2004. In keeping with our policy of providing free information on the Internet, data and images may be used by non-commercial entities, as long as this message remains on all copied material. These electronic pages cannot be reproduced in any format for profit or for other presentation without express permission by the contributor(s).
Republican Examiner, 1883
A meeting was held at Tennerife schoolhouse to ascertain by a vote of the district whether or not it would be advisable to erect a new building. Only one vote pulled in favor of a new schoolhouse. The “relic” of 1854 will still stand.
No Source, July 1884
The schoolhouse will be furnished with a bell donated by S. Lowe, who put in his first school day the opening day in the old building under the tuition of Solon Powers the first and best teacher the district ever had.
Jersey County Democrat, December 1, 1904
The board of directors of Tenneriffe have dug a well near the schoolhouse which was much needed and also built a flight of stairs over a fence in front of the house which adds to the appearance of the school yard.
No Source, 1952
$117 dollars was netted at the Valentine social sponsored by the Tenneriffe School Club. The proceeds were to be used for the Milk Fund and Hot Lunch program. A. H. Scholtzhauer showed a movie. There were items for a food sale and attendance prizes. Officers are Mrs. Earl Powell, Sophia Reedy, William Gilman. Teacher is Mrs. Ben Eagleton.
From Marty Crull.