Hon. George D. Locke
Was born in Jerseyville, October 3, 1874. He is the only son of James A. and Anna M. (nee Wharton) Lock. He was educated in the public schools and High School of Jerseyville. A graduate of Terre Haute, Indiana, Commercial College in 1891. For five years he clerked in the general office of the Chicago, Peoria & St. Louis R.R. Co.; also holding the responsible position of station agent in Jerseyville when but 17 years of age.
He began the study of law in the office of Chapman & Vaughn in Jerseyville, February 1894, and continued his law studies until February 1896, when he purchased a controlling interest in the Jerseyville Electric Light, Gass and Power Co., and was the secretary, treasurer, and general manager of the company until July 1, 1900, when he sold the entire plant to Rosenthal & Ford of St. Louis, Mo. He is now the junior member of the Investment Banking and Abstract firm of Chapman & Locke.
He was elected Mayor of Jerseyville on the Democratic ticket, April 16, 1901, by a majority of 317, bieng the largest majority ever given a candidate for the office in Jerseyville. Besides, he is the youngest man ever elected to this office, only 26 years old. He is also secretary of the Board of Education.
On August 15, 1894 he was married to Miss Mabel G. P. Post, daughter of Caleb A. Post and Maggie M. (nee Murray) Post. Their children are two sons: Archibald and Lucien.
Hon. John Nelson English
Hon. John Nelson English was born in Henry county, Kentucky, March 31, 1810. He was the eldest son of Thomas and Alla English, who were the parents of twelve children. Their ancestors were Irish and German. Mr. English's father was a native of Maryland, his mother of Pennsylvania. Mr. English's mother was a daughter of Jonathan Cooper, a half sister of Capt. Jonathan English Cooper, so well and favorably known in Jersey county.
For half a century Mr. English took a prominent and leading part in the public affairs of Jersey county. He came to the present limits of Jersey county with his parents when he was 15 years old, in 1825, and remained here continuously to his death. Mr. English received his early education in the schools of Washington and Jersey counties.
At the breaking out of the Black Hawk war of 1831, he enlisted in Capt. Carlin's company of mounted volunteers, and was mustered in at Carrollton, Ill., and immediately started on a march to Rock Island, where the treaty with the Indians was soon afterwards made, when he returned home, and in 1832 enlisted in Capt. Patterson's company and participated in the battles of Wisconsin and Bad Ax. After treaty was made and peace restored, he was honorably discharged. After returning home, Mr. English spent the next summer with D. A. Spalding, government surveyor, in surveying the land in 1883 where now stands the city of Chicago, making his headquarters in old Fort Dearborn on Dearborn street. He told many very interesting, amusing and thrilling stories of those early days. He once stood where now stands Will Hanley's meat market and killed a deer that chanced to be galloping by. He raised a large crop of corn where now stands the court house, about 15 acres, all west of the "Indian trail," what we now call State street.
He rode on horseback all over what is now Jersey county with a petition for signers to set off Jersey county, which was then part of Greene county, and after he had secured sufficient petitoners, he rode on horseback to the Capital of the State, then at Vandalia, Ill., when Jersey county was cut off from Greene county. I am not saying too much when I say, that for the first 50 years of Jersey county's existence, there was not a man in it who did so much for the county and the people in it, as J. N. English. In August 1889, the old settlers of the county met in the court house yard and celebrated the semi-centennial of Jersey county's existence. On that day a picture of 29 of the old settlers was taken, but Mr. English had passed beyond before that day, thus nobody points out his face in the group. It would but a fitting tribute, if the citizens of Jersey county now living would erect a monument to his memory just inside the court house yard.
In the summer of 1834, age 24, he purchased a farm in Jersey county, four miles southwest of Jerseyville, which he began at once to improve. He was the first elected sheriff of Jersey county.
On December 1840, when he was age 30, he was married to Miss Elizabeth Belt, a daughter of Horatio W. Belt, a pioneer of Jersey county. They had four sons: Thomas, Lloyd, John N. and R. B. English. When his office as sheriff expired, he, in company with Messrs. Magee & Terry, erected a steam grist and saw mill five miles west of Jerseyville. They carried it on about two years, when they sold it. He next went into steam boating on the river, with the rank of mate. He followed the river for two years, when he came home and bought a farm five miles west of Jerseyvill, in what is now known as English township. He settled on it in the fall of 1847, since which date most of his time ws spent in agricultural pursuits, stock raising, from which he made a competency.
In the fall of 1860, Mr. English was elected to the Legislature of Illinois from Jersey and Calhoun counties. He was re-elected after the expiration of his first term by a large majority, filling the position with honor to himself and satisfaction of his constituents. Politically Mr. English was a strong supporter of the Democratic party. At most Senatorial, Congressional and State conventions, he was a delegate from Jersey county.
In November 1867 he moved to a farm one-half mile west of the court house where he spent the remainer of his days. On January 5, 1872, Mrs. English, after a long and lingering illness, died, leaving a husband and three sons to mourn their loss: Lloyd, John N., and R. B. In October 1873 Mr. English married Catherine C. Silsby, the widow of John Silsby, of Jersey county. Mr. English died at his home near Jerseyville, surrounded by many friends and relatives, August 25, 1880, at the age of 78 years, 5 months and 15 days. Thus closed a long and useful life.
Edward Augustus D'Arcy
Edward Augustus D'Arcy was born in Hanover, Morris county, New Jersey, April 15, 1796. His father, John D'Arcy, was a physician of eminent standing prior to the Revolution, in which war he was a surgeon of the 1st New Jersey Regiment, until appointed a member of General Washington's household. Dr. John D'Arcy married Phoebe Johnes, daughter of a Presbyterian minister of Morristown, New Jersey, Edward being one of their three children. His education was gotten from the Morristown schools, and University of New York. He graduated from the New York Hospital April 4, 1817, and entered practice when age 21.
On October 22, 1821 he married Mary McEowen of Basking Ridge, New Jersey. Ann Caroline and Catherine M. were the only children. Ann Caroline became the wife of Hon. Fredric H. Teese of Newark, New Jersey, both now dead, leaving two daughters, Mary M. and Catherine M., neither of whom are married. Catherine M. became the wife of Prentiss D. Cheney of Jerseyville. She did April 23, 1877, and her husband July 3, 1900. Three of their four children died in infancy. The other is still living, Dr. A. M. Cheney, a physician, age 33, unmarried.
Dr. D'Arcy came to Jersey county, then Greene county, in 1833, locating about three miles south of Jerseyville, where his daughter, Catherine M. was born, October 1838. He never practiced medicine in Illinois save as consultant, or on account of personal reasons. He had no office; his professional standing was high, and judging from his written notes and date, he was cognizant of truths not then admitted, nor even noted as possible. Dr. D'Arcy died in Jerseyville, April 25, 1863.
Murray Cheney was born February 28, 1809 in Addison, Vermont. He came to Jerseyville in 1833. He was married to Caroline Pickett, July 7, 1835, in Stockton, Chautauqua county, New York, and returned with his wife to Jerseyville in the fall of 1836, residing here until 1858, when he moved to Sangamon county, Ill. In 1861 he moved to Virden, Ill., where he died December 7, 1885.
Mr. Cheney held the office of constable fourteen years, up to 1850, when he was elected sheriff of Jersey county, which office he held for four years. He was elected Justice of the Peace immediately on going to Virden to live, which, with the office of police magistrate, he held continuously by re-election for 23 years, and which he resigned a few months before his death. He was a man of positive convictions and of a judicial turn of mind. These qualities he carried with him into his business and political life. Trained up a Whig, he adhered to the fortunes of that party until its disruption, when he fell into line with the young Republican organization, and consistently supported its principles (not always without criticism) until his death. It is worthy of note, however, that in his long official life, he was freely supported by many political opponents, because of a belief in his personal fitness for the place.
During the many years that he filled the office of police magistrate, important cases growing out of the early anti-license struggle were frequently coming up in his court, and while the nature of these cases was such as to arouse the bitterest feelings of the contending factions, his decisions on points of law and on the merits of cases, submitted to the court, were such as to convince thoughtful men on both sides, that he always acted conscientiously and most frequently, justly; so careful was he in this respect that it became the pride of his later years that not one of the numerous decisions rendered by hism and taken upon appeal to the higher courts, has been reversed. Though somewhat gruff and positive in his address and manner of converstaion, he was beneath all this, genial and sympathetic. It was not difficult to arouse his kindlier feelings, and to convince all that the best characteristics of the man were below the surface.
Caroline Pickett (Cheney)
Caroline Pickett was born Nov. 25, 1812 in Addison, Vermont. Gilead Pickett, her father, departed this life in 1816. She moved with her mother's family to Stockton, Chautauqua county, New York in 1831, where she was united in marriage with Murray Cheney, July 7, 1835. In October 1836 she came to Jerseyville with her husband and infant child, Prentiss D. Cheney, where she resided until 1858, when she moved with her family to Sangamon county, Illinois, residing there until October 1861. She then moved with her husband to Virden, Ill., where she now resides.
Nine children have been born to her, eight of them being born in Jerseyville. Of this number, five are now living. She is the mother of the first child born in what was then the corporate limits of Jerseyville; she was closely identified with the earliest history of this city. Her first home here was in part of what is now the Northern Hotel on Main street, built in 1836 by Stephen Herren, the other parts of the house being occupied by Horace Landon and family, Capt. John M. Smith, then not married, and other young men, pioneers of this new frontier. She is now, at age 89, a woman of remarkable vitality in mind and memory, as well as business ability, and retains the entire management and control of her own and her husband's estate, which has never been distributed and is considerable, under the provisions of the will of her husband,and in accordance with her own ideas.
Prentiss Dana Cheney
Prentiss Dana Cheney was born August 2, 1836 in Stockton, Chautauqua county, N.Y. He died July 3, 1900, at his residence in Jerseyville. The family moved from Stockton to Jerseyville when Prentiss was an infant, not then six months old. He acquired his early education in the common schools of Jerseyville. His first business experience began at the age of fifteen, being with Thos. L. McGill, recorded of Jersey county, and a large quantity of the early records will be found in the hand-writing of Mr. Cheney. His next experience was as book-keeper with Alexander L. Morean, in the general merchandise busines in Jerseyville. After this he was with the banking house of Chesnut, Blackburn & Du Bois, at Carlinville, Ill. Subsequently Mr. Blackburn moved to Jerseyville and engaged in banking, retaining Mr. Cheney as chief man.
On the July 6, 1859 Mr. Cheney married Catherine M. D'Arcy, daughter of the late Edward D'Arcy, in Jerseyville. Very soon after his marriage, the banking house of D'Arcy, Teese & Cheney was opened in Jerseyville. Later, the name of Teese was withdrawn and the firm of D'Arcy and Cheney continued the business for a number of years after the death of the senior member. Mr. Cheney then formed a co-partnership with the late Byron Murray and with him did a banking and brokerage business, at 27 Wall street, New York City. From this co-partnership he subsequently withdrew and retired to Jerseyville. He leaves one son, Dr. Alexander M. Cheney, having buried three children in their infancy. His wife, Catherine M. Cheney, died April 23, 1877, in Florida, where she had gone for her health. Some ten years later he married Mrs. Annette Highbee.
The subject of this sketch was a man who took great delight in the study of the law, and in numerous cases of his own, although never acting as his own attorney, he was industrious and vigilant in the preparation of cases, frequently himself preparing the brief for submission to the court. This quality caused the appellation of "Judge" to attach to his name for many years prior to his death.
Prior to the adoption of township organizaton in Jersey county, he was a member of the Board of County Commissioners, acting several terms as chairman of that Board. Afterwards, he was a prominent member of the Jersey County Board of Supervisiors, and was chairman of that body during the time of erecting the new court house, and together with other members of the Board an officers of the county, took pleasure in devoting time and labor in furnishing to the county the beautiful and convenient building now an ornament to Jerseyville, and a pride of all citizens, and it is worth of remark that it was built at the least possible cost to the tax payers. Judge Cheney was a man with many friends. His acquaintance outside of his home city was extensive, and a large number of these friends, with his family and neighbors, were in attendance at his funeral, which occurred at his residence here on July 5, 1900. The remains were deposited in Oak Grove cemetery, the burial place of a great number of the departed from the community in which almost his entire life was passed. "Requiescat in pace."
Gilead P. Cheney
Gilead Pickett Cheney was born in Jerseyville, then in Greene county, March 24, 1838. He was married to Emily Caroline Plowman, daughter of Hon. Jonathan and Elizabeth Crull Plowman, May 1, 1861, at the residence of her father in Sangamon county, Ill., by Rev. Wm. L. Tarbet. Mr. Cheney moved from Jerseyville to Sangamon county in 1858, where, and in Virden, Ill., he resided until 1880, when he moved with his family to Denver, Colorado, where, and in the near vicinity, he and all his family now reside.
There have been born to him four children, and one grandchild, all of whom are now living. He is the oldest native of Jerseyville, being the first child born herr. The house in which he was born was built by his father, Murray Cheney in 1837, and stands on Lot 6, Block 4, original town, at the northeast corner of Lafayette and Pine streets. The town was named Jerseyville in 1834, was incorporated in 1837, and included only 80 acres, which extended from out-lot 13, on the north, to Carpenter street on the south, one-half mile long from north to south, by one-fourth mile wide from east to west. Jersey was cut off from Greene, formed and organized in 1839.
Mrs. G. P. Cheney
Emily Caroline Plowman, daughter of Hon. Jonathan and Elizabeth Crull Plowman, was born December 14, 1841, near Rosedale, Jersey county, Ill. She came with her parents to Jerseyville in 1847, where she resided until 1858, when she moved with her parents to Sangamon county, Ill. She was married to Gilead P. Cheney, May 1, 1861, at the residence of her father in Sangamon county, by Rev. Wm. L. Tarbet. She lived in Sangamon county and in Virden until December 1880, when she moved with her family to Denver, Colorado. She has four children, all of whom are living. Three sons, Charles M., Henry E., and Jonathan P., and one daughter, Mary Caroline, who was married to Edgar N. Green, of Jacksonville, Ill., December 4, 1886. They have one child, Norma Caroline, born July 4, 1890, in Denver. Mrs. Cheney united with the Baptist church in Jerseyville, and was baptized in the old church the evening of February 10, 1853, by Rev. Jestus Bulkley, the pastor. She still, with husband, maintains her membership, they being now members of the first Baptist church of Denver, where, and in the near vicinity, she and all her family now reside.
Hon. Jonathan Plowman
Hon. Jonathan Plowman was born near Somerset, Pa., February 26, 1818, and died at Virden, Ill., Feb. 19, 1900. In the fall of 1838 he went to Ohio, where he taught school for six months. He then came to Jersey county and began teaching school in March 1839, about six miles south of Jerseyville. He cast his first vote here, which was on the question of organizing Jersey county.
In 1849 he entered about 1,000 acres of land in Macoupin county, and in 1858 moved and settled on it, about four and one-half miles west of Virden. He remained on the farm until 1863, when he moved to Virden and engaged in the dry goods business in partnership with Robert Buckles for about three years, when the firm was dissolved, and he entered into business with his son-in-law, G. P. Cheney, which firm, G. P. Cheney & Co., continued for a considerable number of years. He retired from active business about 30 years before his death.
Mr. Plowman was twice married. His first marriage was to Elizabeth Crull, in what is now Rosedale township, Jersey county, March 4, 1841. She died April 28, 1845. By this marriage two children were born, Emily C., now Mrs. G. P. Cheney, and Charles C. His second marriage occurred Nov. 24, 1846, when he married Rachel Crull, a sister of his former wife, and who died June 6, 1895, in Virden. Eight children were born to this union, of whom five are now living.
Mr. Plowman moved from Rosedale to Jerseyville in 1847. He served three terms as sheriff before moving to Virden, where also two other ex-sheriffs of Jersey county went to live, Capt. Murray Cheney and Pompey Silloway, both of whom died there several years ago. In 1872 Mr. Plowman was elected as the minority member of the Legislature from this senatorial district and served until 1874, in the 28th General Assembly of the State of Illinois. He also served some time as member of the Macoupin County Board of Supervisors. In politics he was an active and enthusiastic Republican, cordially supporting the principles and nominees of that party. During the many years of his active life, before the informities of age and failing health interfered, he was a careful and painstaking student of all the important political questions current in national and local politics, and few, if any, in his community could give as logical reasons for political belief, or as useful and helpful advice as he, and not only in politics, but in religion, law, and moral and social ethics; also, he was a profound thinker, and a competent and safe advisor. Those who were his neighbors, friends and associates, together with his own family, will loyally cherish his memory, as he lies at rest, fulfilling the Divine law, "Earth to earth, and dust to dust."
Captain Jonathan E. Cooper
Captain Jonathan E. Cooper was born near New Castle, Henry county, Kentucky, January 5, 1807. His father was Jonathan Cooper, a native of Maryland, and one of the early settlers of Kentucky, who, with Daniel Boone, frequently hunted the Indians. He was also a soldier of the Revolutionary war.
He moved from Kentucky to Illinois in 1835, and settled on a farm four miles southwest of Jerseyville where he lived until his death, August 1845, at age 89. His wife survived him nine years, dying in 1854. Captain Cooper received his education in the schools of his native state. He remained at home with his father until he reached the age of 23 years, when, in November 1829, after a horseback trip of 13 days, landed within the present limits of Jersey county. He spent the first winter here in Illinois, clerking in the store of his uncle, Linsey N. English, of Carrollton, Ill. The next year he worked on a farm. At the breakout of the Black Hawk war he enlisted in Cap. Carlin's (afterwards Gov. Carlin) company; was selected as orderly sergeant, and served one year under Capt. Carlin. The next year, 1832, he served in Capt. Patterson's company, and a portion of the year was detailed as quartermaster. He took part in the battles of Prairie du Chien and Mississippi, and after peace was declared, received an honorable discharge. He was commissioned Captain of State Militia by Gov. Reynolds in 1832.
May 10, 1836, he was married to Mrs. Miriam F. Turner (nee French), daughter of Nicholas and Anna French. She was born in Rockingham county, New Hampshire, in 1798. She was one of the best women that ever came to this country. She died in June 1873. They reared two children to manhood and womanhood - Rev. Marshall M. Cooper, a Presbyterian minister, and Miss Mary Spangle, who married Nicholas Massey, and who died in 1900 in Colorado.
December 3, 1879 he was married to Mrs. Sarah Johnson, who survived him sixteen weeks, dying February 19, 1896. Religiously Capt. Cooper and wife were Baptists and united with that church at Kane, Greene county in 1839. They transferred their membership to Jerseyville Baptist church when it was organized, Sept. 5, 1841, and were among its charter members until their death. At the organization of this church he was ordained deacon and remained so to his death.
Deacon Cooper was a noble hearted man and strict integrity marked all his dealings. He took great interest in chronicling events of the early history of Jersey county, and was the best historian in the county. During his last days he became very helpless, losing his speech entirely for two and one-half years, besides through the disease of "creeping paralysis" he became almost helpless. During all this time he was very patient and good natured. He died Oct. 5, 1895, age 88 years and 9 months.
Nathaniel Miner was born near Old Grown Point, N.Y., January 1, 1801. He was the fourth child of William and Prudence Miner. When he was one year old his parents moved to Bridgeport, Vermont, where he made his home until he was 33 years old. He received his early education in the schools of Bridgeport.
In October 1832 he came to the present limits of Jersey county, and in 1833 entered a quarter section of land in section 19, about 1 1/2 miles west of Jerseyville, where he lived for 61 years, until his death. Mr. Miner assisted in raising the first frame building in Jerseyville, the present site of Harry Hill's Clothing and Furnishing House. August 3, 1843, he was married to Miss Louisa Jackson, daughter of Aaron Jackson, a native of Vermont. Mr. Jackson and family were formerly from Addison county, Vermont. The fruits of this union were seven sons: Edward, of Carrollton, Ill.; Charles E., for a long time clerk at the Commercial Hotel, Jerseyville; Aaron J., farmer of Calhoun county; Lorenzo J., who died of a wound received at the battle of Murfreesborough, Tennessee, who was first lieutenant of Co. C., of the 61st Inf. Ill. Vol.; Darwin C.; George W., the youngest, who still resides on the ond home place. Mrs. Miner died Aug. 22, 1869.
In 1872 Mr. Miner was married to Mary J. Ingels, a native of New Hampshire. In 1842 Mr. and Mrs. Miner identified themselves with the First Baptist church of Jerseyville. Mr. Miner was the first constable elected after the organization of Jersey county. On May 22, 1894, his second wife died at their home, 1 1/2 miles west of Jerseyville. Mr. Miner was a practical farmer until his death. He died at his country home where he had resided for 61 years, December 13, 1894. Mr. Miner was a good man and enjoyed the confidence and respect of all who knew him.
David G. Wyckoff
David G. Wyckoff was born in Blenheim, Schoharie county, N.Y., May 5, 1812. When a boy, age 14 years, he left the parental home and went to New York City, where he learned the tailor's trade. In 1833 he was married to Miss Phoebe Eliza Bonnell, a native of New York City, the marriage taking place in Newark, N.J.
In 1837 he came to Illinois and settled in Delhi, Jersey county, where he followed his trade until 1840, at which time he came to Jerseyville, where he continuously pursued his trade as merchant tailor for 9 years, until 1849. At this date he established a general mercantile business by forming a partnership with John E. Rundle, but in 1850 he became sole proprietor and so continued until October 1865, when his son Horatio N. Wyckoff became his partner, after which thime the firm name was known as D. G. & H. N. Wyckoff.
They carried a full line of Dry Goods, Boots and Shoes. The present building erected in 1871, is the third erected on the same lot where he first located in 1843. Mrs. Wyckoff died in 1851, leaving six children, Catherine E., Horatio N., Mary A., George E., Cornelia J., and Francis E. At his death, it was said, he was the oldest merchant in the state of Illinois. He came to Jerseyville when there were but few dwellings, and he watched with interest the continued growth of the city for fifty years. He died at his home in Jerseyville, surrounded by children and friends, Sunday morning, Nov. 20, 1892.
Hon. William Shephard
Hon. William Shephard was born in Markington, Yorkshire, England, August 10, 1816. He came to this country with his father, Wm. Shephard, when but 16 years old, landing in New York, June 1832, and settling first at Trenton, N.J. His early occupation was as a shoemaker, but he soon turned his attention to canal and railroad enterprises. He first began as a day laborer on the Raritan canal in New Jersey. He soon became a contractor on a limited scale, and moved to Lancaster, Penn., where he remained about three years, when he built the tunnel on the Harrisburg and Lancaster road.
In the spring of 1838 he moved west and located in St. Louis, where he clerked in a livery stable for a short time. In the fall of 1838 he moved to Coles county, Ill., where soon after he became a contractor under the State Internal improvement system on the Central Branch R.R., now a part of the Big Four system. His partners in this enterprise were Richard Johnson and David Dunsdon, both Englishmen and pioneers of Jersey county. His next contract was the Grafton Bluff excavation preparatory to making of it a county road. This was a contract under the United States Government.
In 1840 Mr. Shephard was married to Miss Anna Maria Gross of Dauphin county, Penn. She was the daughter of Adam and Elizabeth Gross. The fruits of the union were nine children, five of whom are now living. Wm. V., the oldest son, died Feb. 15, 1875, age 31. The third son, Francis B., died in St. Louis while attending law school, April 28, 1876, age 24. He was a graduate of Notre Dame University, Ind., and also a graduate of the Polytechnic Institute, Troy, N.Y., and was a young man of much promise.
Mr. Shephard in 1847 engaged in the mercantile business in Grafton where he continued until 1852, when he took a contract in connection with the building of the Missouri-Pacific R.R. He was an original incorporator, and was for many years President of the Jacksonville, St. Louis & Chicago R.R., and built the Louisiana Branch of that road, and also an extension of that road from Dwight to Streator. Mr. Shephard was elected State Senator, from the district composed of the counties of Greene, Pike, Scott, Calhoun and Jersey, in 1866, by the Democratic party, and was re-elected in 1870, but resigned in 1871.
In 1866 he established a private banking house in Jerseyville, which he conducted successfully nine years, when he sold out in June 1875. In 1871 he took large contracts of R.R. building in Texas, in company with Col. J. A. Henry, of Joliet, and J. J. Mitchell, of St. Louis, where they built 300 miles of the Houston & Great Northern R.R. It is due him for the writer to say, who has known Mr. Shephard since he first came to Illinois, he was a gentleman of rare intellectual endowments, sound judgment, honest convictions of right and wrong, having the confidence of all who knew him best, which made him an eminently successful business man. He resided in Jerseyville for 36 years.
He was always a devoted member of the Catholic church and the first Catholic service ever held in Jersey county was held in his house. He amassed a fortune of $300,000. He died at his home in Jerseyville, surrounded by wife, children and friends, August 12, 1875. Mrs. Shephard also died at the same home, March 18, 1890, surrounded by children, grandchildren, and a host of sympathizing friends.
Hon. George E. Warren
Hon. George E. Warren was born at Worthington, Franklin county, Ohio, Aug. 16, 1817. His father was Dr. Thomas Warren, a physician by profession, a native of New Hampshire, lineally descended from the Puritans. His grandfather, Mr. DeWolfe, was the owner of the noted privateer "Yankee" that figured largely in the war of 1812. Mr. Warren's mother died in Bristol, R.I., in 1829, while his father died at the home of his son, George E. Warren, near Jerseyville in 1853.
In 1835 Dr. Warren with his three children, a daughter, Mary A. and two sons, came west and settled in Alton, Ill. He entered considerable land within the limits of Jersey county. Mr. Warren had very good early advantages for an education. At the early age of 14 years he entered Brown University, at Providence, R.I., where he remained four years, taking a classical corse up to the middle of is senior year. Aftr his removal with his father to Illinois, he began the study of law in the office of Judge Woodson & Hodges of Carrollton, Ill. While he was studying law, he received nuch insight into the exectution of law, by assisting M. O. Bledsoe, clerk of both circuit and county commissioner's courts. This very close application somewhat impaired his health, that in the spring of 1837 he visited his former home and friends in Rhode Island for rest and recuperation.
On August 16, 1837 he was married to Miss Harriette S. Allen, daughter of S. S. Allen, collector of the port of Bristol. He returned west with his wife and settled at Alton in the spring of 1838. He passed his examinations and was admitted to the bar to practice in all the courts in 1839. In 1840 he moved with his family to a large farm near Jerseyville, purchased by his father, with money left him by his grandfather DeWolfe. In 1841 he was elected Justice and held that office continuously until 1849, when he was elected county Judge as the Whig candidate, which office he held until 1857.
In January 1862 he opened a law office in partnership with his son-in-law, Hon. W. H. Pogue, and was appointed United States commissioner Dec. 12, 1866, under Johnson's administration. During the war of the rebellion Judge Warren was a firm and loyal supporter of the union cause. Few men in Jersey county exerted a more salutary influence for loyalty over the people of Jersey county, than did Judge Warren. In 1863 he received the appointment of enrolling officer.
At age 16 he united with the Protestant Episcopal church, but on comeing to Jerseyville, there being no church of that denomination, he united with the Presbyterian church in 1852. On January 4, 1866 he was ordained elder, which sacred office he held to the day of his death. Judge Warren was greatly blessed with an intelligent and devoted wife, and the fruits of their union were nine children: Martha D. W., who became the wife of Judge Wm. H. Pogue; George, E., who died at the age of four years; Harrette S., who became the wife of Henry C. Lovell, who was clerk in the United States Treasury Department at Washington, D.C.; Charles D., a farmer; Mark A., of the firm of M. A. Warren & Co.; George E., President of the Warren-Wiseman Dry Goods Co., of Jerseyville; Anna, the wife of Robert S. Powel, a prominent farmer; and Frank, yet single.
Judge Warren was elected to the 31st General Assembly which convened January 8, 1879, and served two years. He was elected Mayor of the city of Jerseyville in 1875, and served one term of one year. Judge Warren was three times elected by Alton Presbytery a commissioner to the General Assembly of the Presbyterian church of the Unite States in 1883, at Saratoga, N.Y., and in 1888 at Philadelphia, Penn. He died at his home, with wife and children, in the midst of friends and acquaintances, after a long and useful life, an ornament to society, a blessing to the world, and a glory to the church of Jesus Christ. He fell like a shock of corn fully ripe, at the age of 74 years, 4 months and 7 days.
Hugh N. Cross
Hugh N. Cross was born in Somerset county, N.J., Dec. 9, 1817. His father's name was John L. Cross adn himself and wife were of Scotch-Irish extraction. At age 18 he came with his parents to Jersey county, and settled on a farm three miles southeast of Jerseyville, now occupied by Martin L. Beatty, his father being 70 years old at the time. In 1850, at the age of 82 years, his father died, his wife's death occurring in 1848, some two years previous. They both died at the above country home.
H. N. Cross received his early education in the common schools of his state, obtaining a good education for one in those times. He was married to Miss Antoinette VanHorne, daughter of Col. Elijah and Polly (Wyckoff) VanHorne, who were natives of New York, though among the early pioneers of this county, coming here in 1833. Mrs. Cross was born in Schoharie county, N.Y., Dec. 25, 1823. The fruits of this union were five children: Andrew Wilson; Mary N., the deceased wife of Maj. Walter E. Carlin, who died March 30, 1880, age 32; Helen, deceased, Edward and Leslie.
Mr. Cross began life by no means a rich man, but by wisely planning and vigorously executing those plans, he became one of the wealthiest farmers in Jersey county. In 1866 he formed a partnership with Geo. R. Swallow, and opened an extensive banking house on South Main street, Jerseyville. In 1872 this firm was dissolved and was succeeded by H. N. Cross and W. E. Carlin, under the firm name of Cross, Carlin & Co.
Hon. David E. Beaty
Hon. David E. Beaty was born in Butler county, Ohio, February 4, 1812. He was the oldest child of Nenian and Jane Beaty, who were farmers, the former dying in 1838, his wife surviving him 19 years, until 1857. Mr. Beaty chose the occupation of his father for his own, and spent his life on a farm. He received his early education in the common schools of his county, which were somewhat limited, but having a thirst for knowledge and by patient and constant study, acquired an education which prepared him for many useful positions which he creditably filled in after years.
February 5, 1833, he was married to Miss Anna Elizabeth Ross, daughter of Amos and Lydia Ross, of Butler county, Ohio. Of this union there were born six children, three of whom survive: Nenian C., of St. Louis, Mo.; Amos, now living in Dakota; and Mrs. Kate Burriss, of Atlanta, Ga. Shortly after his marriage he moved to Fayette county, Ind., where he bought a farm, and two of his children were born there. In 1839 he sold this farm, and two of his children were born there. In 1839 he sold this farm and returned to his native county and bought another farm. Here he lived until January 1859, when he again sold out and moved to Jersey county, and purchased the farm, known at the Mound Farm, three miles southwest of Jerseyville, where he spent the remainder of his life with the exception of about a year when he lived in Jerseyville. Mrs. Beaty died Jan. 9, 1868, and her death cast a gloom over the hitherto peaceful and happy home.
On July 5, 1870, Mr. Beaty again married, his second wife being Miss Harriet M. Henderson, a native of New Hampshire. By this union one son was born, David E. Beaty, Jr., who still lives with his mother in Jerseyville.
Mr. Beaty was active in furthering every movement which he calculated would advance the interests of the farmer, as well as that of the workingman, and of the community in which he lived. The most prominent of these was the Jersey County Fair Association, established in 1868, of which he was the first president. As a brave and loyal citizen, Mr. Beaty stood in the front ranks. During the war, when life and property were in constant danger, Mr. Beaty was one of six men whom the loyal people of Jerseyville chose, and formed them into a Committee of Protection, and were successful in arresting and bringing to justice some of the most desperate murderers of those troublesome and dangerous times. Thus Mr. Beaty not only placed himself in the way of the assassin's bullet, but he placed on the altar of his country his eldest son, Nenian C. Beaty, who enlisted in the 24th Reg., Ill. Vol. Inf., and his son-in-law, David C. Beckette, who was killed while charging the enemy at Kenesaw Mountain, his second son, Amos, went as a substitute. Had Mr. Beaty been a young man, he would undoubtedly have been a commander in the front ranks.
In the fall of 1872 he was nominated for State Senator as the candidate of the Republican party, and in 1874 for Congress. For ten years he was president of the State Board of Agriculture, and for seventeen years, until 1894, was president of the Board of Trustees of the Jacksonville Insane Asylum. Thus in times of peace, as well as in war, he was a leader of the people and of his party. He was naturally a good orator, and forcible speaker, which commanded attention and respect from all who heard him.
As a business man, Mr. Beaty had many qualifications which demanded our admiration. Whatever he undertook he executed with determination and energy, yet at the same time he was guided by that prudence and principle of right which reflect great credit on his acts. His heart was ever moved by warm and generous impulses and by such conduct he won the respect of his fellow citizens. The best of all, Mr. Beaty was a christian man, and was a leader in the church also, of which he was a member. On April 3, 1859 he was elected Ruling Elder of teh Presbyterian church of Jerseyville. He remained in the office fifty years, almost to the close of his life.
On Thursday, August 9, 1894, about 11 o'clock, P.M., at his home, surrounded by wife, children, and friends, he crossed over into the regions beyond. "He rests from his labors, but his works follow him.
Mrs. Mary D'Arcy
Mary McEowen was born in New Jersey in 1803. She was united in marriage with Dr. Edward A. D'Arcy in 1821, and came with him to Jersey county in 1833. Her children were Ann Caroline, who was married to Hon. F. H. Teese, of N.J., and Catherine M., who became the wife of Prentiss D. Cheney, of Jerseyville. Mrs. D'Arcy resided with her family here until the death of her husband in 1863, after which she lived mostly in New Jersey until her death in 1887. She was a member of the 1st Presbyterian church in Jerseyville from its organization until her death. A noble christian woman, patient, charitable and kind. She lived such a life as to command the respect, confidence and love of all who knew her during her long residence in Jerseyville.
Mrs. P. D. Cheney
Catherine McEowen D'Arcy was born in October 1838, on her father's farm 3 miles south of Jerseyville. She died April 23, 1877, in Jacksonville, Florida. She became the wife of P. D. Cheney, the marriage being in Jerseyville, July 6, 1859. Four children were born to them. Three of them died in infancy. The son, Dr. A. M. Cheney, still survives. Almost the entire life of Mrs. Cheney was passed in Jerseyville, where she was known and beloved by all. She united with the Presbyterian church early in life, and was always found zealously engaged in church and Sabbath school work. The summons came early but, "sustained by an unfaltering trust," she calmly answered the call, committing her spirit into the hands of Him in whom she trusted.
Dr. A. M. Cheney
Alexander M. Cheney was born Sept. 18, 1868, in Mendham, New Jersey. He is the son and only surviving child of Prentiss D. and Catherine M. Cheney. Dr. Cheney entered the study of medicine and surgery at an early age and entered his profession well equipped with knowledge of its requirements. He resides in Jerseyville, where, like his parents and grandparents, he intends to live.
James Archibald Locke
James A. Locke was born in Carrollton, Greene county, Ill., June 26, 1838. He was the third son of David and Caroline Matilda (Burford) Locke who soon after the birth of James, moved to Lexington, Lafayette county, Missouri. He grew from childhood to manhood in Lexington, Mo., receiving his early education in the public schools of Lexington, graduating at the Masonic college of that city.
His father being a large contractor and builder, James A. first learned the mason trade with his father, when a boy. About 1860 he became editor of the "Missouri Expositor," published at Lexington, Mo. His paper was Democratic and supported S. A. Douglass for the Presidency in 1860.
Mr. Locke through his paper took an active part in secessional politics, advocating the doctrines of secession. He attached himself to Genl. Shelby's brigade, and was assigned to the Quartermaster's Department, where he was captured in 1862, with a train of supplies. He was taken back to Lexington as a prisoner of war, and was paroled and sent to Jerseyville, Ill., there to remain until exchanged, or further orders of the Federal Government. In 1863 he went to the Pacific coast and edited the "Reese River Review," published at Austin, Nevada. In 1864 he returned east, but shortly went south and located in Memphis, Tenn., where his health failed him, and he returned to Jerseyville, Ill.
Mr. Locke was war correspondent of the "St. Louis Republic," and so remained to his death. He was also manager of the Life Association of America for Southern Illinois. In 1872 James A. and Morris R. Locke, his brother, formed in Jerseyville, a partnership in Law, Real Estate and Insurance, and conducted a successful business for eight years. Mr. Locke was connected with almost every movement for the improvement and building up of Jerseyville, such as the Jerseyville Elevator company, the First National Bank, the St. Louis, Jerseyville and Springfield railroad, of which he was President when he died; was a member of the Masonic fraternity at Jerseyville and Carrollton, and of the Methodist Episcopal Church, Jerseyville.
On Nov. 17, 1867 Mr. Locke was married to Miss Anna M. Wharton, ceremony celebrated at the Centenary M. E. Church, St. Louis, Mo. They had four children: George David and Mrs. Edith A. Slaten, both residents of Jerseyville. The other two died in infancy. During the construction of the railroad of which he was president, he died suddenly, largely the result of exposure and overwork, August 1, 1881, age 43 years. In his death, Jerseyville lost one of her best, and most enterprising citizens, the Masonic order a loyal member and the church with which he was connected, a liberal and devoted member.
Was born in Manchester, England, May 25, 1836. He came with his parents to the United States in 1840. They first settled in New Hampshire for a short time, afterwards moved to Providence, R.I., where young Robert served his apprenticeship for a machinist and engineer. He remained in Providence until 1857, when he came west, stopping first in St. Lousi for only a short time, when he came to Illinois.
He landed in Jerseyville January 1, 1858, age 22, immediately entered the employ of George Wharton as general manager, in the manufacture of farm machinery. In 1863, in partnership with H. O. Goodrich, he established Jerseyville Agricultural Works. In December 1865 he was married to Miss Sarah Cory, daughter of Joel and Sarah (Cross) Cory, of Jersey county. They had five children: Albert, Mamie, Florence, Walter (deceased) and Cornelia. Mr. Newton's second marriage was to Miss Flora Keith, March 10, 1891. They had two children: Ruth (deceased) and R. Keith Newton.
Mr. Newton is, and has always been a public spirited citizen, and always lent a helping hand to every noble enterprise. He was President of the Board of Education for nine years continuously. Elected treasurer of Jersey county in 1884, and served one term of four years. He is also a Royal Arch Mason. He was elected and ordained Deacon of the Baptist church of Jerseyville. He has been an active business man in Jerseyville for 43 years, and now at the age of 65 years, still remains in active business.
Col. George R. Swallow
Was born in Greene county, Ill., Aug. 21, 1839. His parents, Ransom and Sophia Swallow, were natives of Vermont. They were of Scotch and German extraction. Col. Swallow's father settled in Greene county, Ill., in 1827, and became soon after engaged in the merchandise and milling business. His father died in Manchester, Ill. in 1844, and his mother in 1893.
Col. Swallow received his early education in the common schools of Manchester, Ill., and when only fourteen, he set out to do for himself, with the small fortune of $10.00 in his pocket. He first began to clerk in Mr. Samuel Simms' drug store in Winchester, Scott county, Ill., remaining there about 14 months, next went to Alton, Ill., clerking in the Post Office. After clerking here about 6 months he went to Jerseyville.
In the fall of 1860 he went to Centralia, Ill., and in March 1861 moved to Vincennes, Ind. In Aug. 1851 he enlisted as a private in the 7th Reb. Ind. Inft. In Nov. 1861 he was promoted to the first Lieutenancy. For bravery and meritorious services at the battle of Shiloh, he was commissioned as captain of a battery, by Gov. Morton in person. He continued to hold command of that battery until Sherman's march to Atlanta, and was then promoted to Major of the 10th Indiana Cavalry. He was wounded in the battle of Nashville, and sent to his home in Illinois, but the wound not proving mortal, he was soon promoted to Lieut. Col., and for further meritorious bravery, he was promoted to the rank of Colonel. He participated in many hard fought and bloody battles, prominent among which were Murfreesboro, Chickamauga, Lookout Mountain, Mission Ridge and Nashville, Tenn., with numerous other skirmishes. He remained in the service until Sept. 5, 1865, when he was honorably discharged. His war record is good, and reflects great credit on him.
In Oct. 1866 he was married to Miss Hannah V. Davis, daughter of Abijah and Eliza A. Davis, of Jerseyville, Ill. In 1866 Col. Swallow formed a partnership with Hugh N. Cross, and established a banking house under the firm name of Cross & Swallow. They bought out the banking house of D'Arcy and Cheney. They continued here until 1872, when Mr. Swallow retired from the firm, selling his interest to Walter E. Carlin and A. W. Cross.
In 1873 he went to Trinidad, Col., where, in connection with John W. Terry, organized a private band, under the firm name of Swallow & Terry. In 1875 organized the First National Bank of Trinidad, Col., being its first cashier and afterwards its president. In November 1884, was elected treasurer of the State of Colorado, and moved to Denver, where he has since resided, with the exception of three years spent in foreign travel. He is now President of the Denver Savings Bank, Denver, Colo.
Marcus E. Bagley
Marcus E. Bagley was born in Greene county, N.Y., Aug. 18, 1828. He was the eldest child of six children, of Thomas and Mary Bagley. They were of Scotch-Irish and German extraction.
Mr. Bagley received his early education in the common schools of his native county, attaining a good education for one of those times. In the fall of 1850 he came to Jerseyville, where he soon engaged in the mercantile business with A. W. Howe, under the firm name of Howe & Bagley. He continued in this line of business until 1859. On February 16, 1860, he married Mrs. Hattie M. Harriman, of Holyoke, Massachusetts. They had three children, all deceased.
He was elected to the office of circuit clerk of Jersey county, and held the office continuously for 20 years, until 1880. No other man ever held an office so long in Jersey county. This shows the confidence the people of Jersey county had in his integrity and ability. In 1865 he was appointed Master-in-Chancery, and held that office for several terms. He was elected the first Mayor of Jerseyville in 1867.
Born in the city of Nancy, France, Oct. 31, 1841. Came to America, landing in New York, March 1861, and reached Jerseyville on April 20, 1861. Received his early education in the public schools of Nancy, France. Entered the college of "LaMalgrange," near Nancy, at age 15, and remained there pursuing his studies for about two years.
Leaving college, he entered a wholesale dry goods house at Nancy, and remained with the house until he departed to America. Mr. Laurent clerked in the dry goods store of Fred Bertman, and the grocery store of John E. VanPelt, until 1865, he began to assist M. E. Bagley, who was then circuit clerk. He continued to assist in times when Mr. Bagley was overworked, until he was employed by Mr. Bagley for all his time until 1875, when he accepted the position as book-keeper in the banking house of Cross, Carlin & Co., afterwards the First National Bank. Here he remained until Dec. 7, 1880, when he became deputy circuit clerk under J. I. McGready who had just been elected to that office. Here he remained for 12 years until the fall of 1892, when he was elected to that office, and is the present incumbent. His deputy is his oldest son, Fred J., who has been with his father from the first of his election in 1892 to the present, 1901.
Was married to Miss Emma Wagner in Jerseyville, Oct. 13, 1874. They had twelve children, nine of which survive: Fred J., Rosalie, Julia M., Emma, Charles, Nellie E., Anna, Ludwig F., Pauline.
John C. McGrath
Born near Janesville, Wisconsin, March 10, 1861. Parents are natives of County Tipperary, Ireland. Came to Jerseyville, Ill. with his parents in 1867. Education received in public and High School of Jerseyville. Religion, Catholic. Politics, Democrat. Was married March 8, 1886, to Miss Mary Grace, of Jerseyville. Have two children, Francis Xavier and Florence Ligouri. Engaged in different business occupations up to 1893, and was always considered an honorable and straight-forward business man. In an election held by the Democracy Oct. 21, 1893, for Postmaster, he received the party endorsement, and was appointed by President Cleveland, January 12, 1894, and served until March 1, 1898. Was a candidate and received the nomination for county clerk, April 1898, and was elected Nov. 4, 1898 and is the present incumbent.
Was born March 8, 1854 at Dover Plains, Dutchess county, New York. His parents came to America from Ireland in 1852, and in 1853 settled near Monticello Seminary, Godfrey, Ill., until 1860 when they moved to Jersey Co. Received his early education in the common schools of his county, and public schools of Brighton. He was married to Miss Catherine Dolan, May 4, 1880. From this union were born six children, two of whom survive: William P. and Francis M. Kiely. Mrs. Kiely died June 14, 1892. His second marriage occurred Aug. 14, 1896, to Mrs. Mary Shortal (nee Sanderhaus) by which there were born two children, T. Helen, and Ricard Earl Kiely.
He began teaching in the fall of 1876, and followed that profession in the public schools of Jersey county, until he was elected County Superintendent of public schools in 1890. He was the first to introduce the practice of granting diplomas to all scholars who had completed all the common school branches, their diplomas admitting them to enter Jerseyville High School without examination. That practice is continued to present time.
He was elected to the office of County Treasurer at the fall election of 1898, and is the present incumbent. He is also custodian of county funds, and ex-officio county collector and supervisor of assessments. His assistant Treasurer is Mrs. Nellie Cope, his present wife's sister, though whose assistance the duties of the office are performed in a satisfactory manner.
Born in Jerseyville, Nov. 22, 1869. Eldest son of Lloyd and Hannah (Seward) Hansell. Received his early education in the public schools of Jerseyville, graduating from the High School, class of 1890. He was appointed in March 1900, to fill out the unexpired term of Albert W. Newton, who resigned. He was elected to the office of county surveyor at the November election in 1900, and is the present incumbent.
George W. Ware
George W. Ware was born in Westminster, Worcester county, Mass., June 30, 1836. Received his early education in the public schools of his town, and is a graduate of the High School there. He completed his literary education in the Leicester Academy in 1854. He immediately began his business career with an uncle, clerking for him in a large paper factory, Post Office and other departments of business. In 1856 he landed in Jerseyville, and in 1857 he formed a partnership with Dr. J. L. White in the drug business. In 1859 he purchased Dr. White's interest, and he became sole proprietor. He continued in this business for 30 years, when he sold his stock to G. R. Smith & Co.
In 1887, in connection with S. H. Bowman, purchased the banking business of Wm. Shephard & Son and continued the banking business under the firm name of Bowman & Ware until August 1890, it merged into the State Bank, with S. H. Bowman as president.
In March 1891 Mr. Ware fitted up and sold his drug store to the W. S. Pittman Drug Company. In September 1900, he purchased the W. S. Pittman Drug Company's stock, and at present is engaged in the drug business on south State street, under the firm name of George W. Ware & Son.
His first marriage was to Theodosia M. Beardslee, May 30, 1859. The fruits of this union are three children: Della P., wife of Charles W. Keith, of Denver, Col.; Lulu H., wife of Edward Cross, Jerseyville; and Frank M. Ware, now a partner with his father.
Mr. Ware's second marriage was to Miss Julia Fry, daughter of General Jacob Fry, Oct. 3, 1877. They have one daughter, Emily F. Ware. Mr. Ware has often been honored with positions of trust in city and state, but be it said to his credit he never sought for prominence in politics, but strictly followed his business pursuits. Mr. Ware ranks among our pioneer and honored business men, having been in business in Jerseyville for 45 years.
Born in Jerseyville, January 22, 1867. Received his early education in the public schools at Jerseyville, and was a graduate of the class of 1884. He was elected county surveyor of Jersey county in 1888, and served 10 years. He has now a lucrative and responsible position as civil engineer for the Chicago & Alton R.R. Co.
He was married to Miss Pauline Stone, Peoria, Ill., Nov. 24, 1900. She was the daughter of Wm. Stone (deceased), President of the 1st National Bank, Peoria, Ill.
Oliver Perry Myrick
Was born in old Kane, July 16, 1840. He is the grandson of Judge Wm. Myrick, of Vermont, who was captain in the war of 1812. He was said to be the first officer, who, at the battle of New Orleans, ordered his company to use bales of cotton as fortifications. Other companies seeing these tactics, followed in suit. Mr. Myrick was the son of Wm. W. Myrick, of Vermont, who, when a boy, his father took with him through the war of 1812. His is a brother of Rev. Marshall M. Cooper, a Presbyterian minister, now pastor at Arlington, Ill.
In 1861 he enlisted in Co. C., 61st Ill. Vol. Inft. He was in the battles of Shiloh, Pea Ridge, and many other hard fought battles, and was honorably discharged Feb. 8, 1865. He returned home to Jerseyville, where lived his father and mother, and remained there, or near, until 1867, when he bought a farm in Lincoln county, Missouri, where he has resided to the present time.
Cosmos Keller was born near Elsah, Jersey county, Illinois, Sept. 27, 1859. Received his early education in the common schools of his county, finishing his education at Jones' Commercial College, St. Louis, Mo. After filling several township offices he was elected Sheriff of Jersey county in the fall 1890, and served four years. Elected county Treasurer in the fall of 1894, and served four years. Was re-elected sheriff of Jersey county in the fall of 1898, and is the present incumbent. Mr. Keller has always made a good and efficient officer, and the people appreciate his worth by repeatedly electing him to office.
Rev. James Harty
Rev. James Harty was born in Waterford county, Ireland, December 6, 1836. He received his classical education at Mount Mellery, and completed his theological education at All Hallow's college in the city of Dublin, Ireland. He came to America October 1862, and was ordained priest in Alton, December 4, 1863. His first pastoral labors were in Alton, Ill., Cathedral, where he remained until Aug. 15, 1868, when he came to Jerseyville. His labors as pastor of St. Francis Xavier's church were arduous and valuable to his charge.
The erection of their fine church edifice is the result of his pastoral energy and the magnificent donations of its membership. Father Harty was a gentleman of literary culture, and among the well read theologians of his church. He remained as pastor of St. Francis Xavier's church for 31 years. He died in his parsonage home in Jerseyville, surrounded by many tender and sympathizing friends, July 23, 1899. This passed away a pastor much beloved and mourned by his people.
David Archibald, born May 6, 1897, in Jerseyville. Lucien Post, born February 26, 1900, Jerseyville. They are the sons of George D. and Mabel G. (Post) Locke. Mr. Locke is the junior member of the firm of Chapman & Locke.
Rexford Edward, born in Jerseyville, Oct. 20, 1894. Holland Pruitt, born in Jerseyville, April 2, 1896. Donald Stewart, born in Jerseyville, April 9, 1898. Children of Edward J. and Sarah (McNabb) Vaughn. Mr. Vaughn is one of Jerseyville's leading attorneys.
Born in Jerseyville, May 18, 1890, daughter of Fred and Elizabeth (Dacey) Scheffer. Mr. Scheffer is the leading boot and shoe dealer in Jerseyville.
Stewart Derry Daniels
Born in Jerseyville, January 15, 1898, son of Harry S. and Castelle (Derry) Daniels. Mr. Daniels is a dealer in hardward, groceries and carriages.
Marie Teresa Reintges
Born in Jerseyville, Aug. 21, 1898, the daughter of Jacob C. and Flora D. (Daniels) Reintges. Mr. Reintges was for twelve years deputy county clerk of Jersey, and is at present engaged in the real estate business at Granite City, Ill.
Frederica M., born Oct. 25, 1888, in Elsah, Jersey county. Marguerite G., born Oct. 7, 1890. The are the children of Cosmos and Mary Keller. Mr. Keller is now sheriff of Jersey county.
T. Helen, born in Jerseyville, Jan. 6, 1897. Richard E., born in Jerseyville, April 12, 1899. Both are children of Richard and Mary (nee Sanderhaus) Kiely. Mr. Kiely is treasurer of Jersey county.
Max Byron, born July 7, 1895, in Gardner, Ill. Iva Ethelyn, born March 23, 1897, in Gardner, Ill. Elsie Bernardine, born Jan. 6, 1900, in Jerseyville, Ill. They are the children of Mr. and Mrs. W. C. Jones. Mr. Jones has been in the employ of the Chicago & Alton R'y for the past seventeen years, and is at present their agent here.
Hattie S., born in Phelps county, Missouri, Jan. 5, 1875. Youngest child of Rev. and Mrs. M. M. Cooper. James Edward, born in Morning Sun, Ia., Nov. 1887. He is the second child and oldest son of J. B. and Nellie M. (Cooper) Templeton, who now reside in Galesburg, Ill., and grandson of Rev. and Mrs. M. M. Cooper. Minnie M., born in Centerville, Ia., Dec. 1891, the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. P. K. Wade, and grand-daughter of Rev. and Mrs. M. M. Cooper.