Jersey County ILGenWeb, copyright Judy Griffin 2002. In keeping with our policy of providing free information on the Internet, data and images may be used by non-commercial entities, as long as this message remains on all copied material. These electronic pages cannot be reproduced in any format for profit or for other presentation without express permission by the contributor(s).
Jersey County Page     Jerseyville History

Business Men of JerseyvilleInformation from the Jersey County Democrat, January 1, 1885. Only includes those who advertised in this newspaper.

Banks and Banking

Bowman & Ware, Bankers

This firm is the direct successor of Shephard & Co., which began business in Feb. 1866. Mr. BOWMAN, although the junior partner in years, is the elder in the business of banking, having been employed by Shephard & Co. when they started in 1866 in the Aracade building, now occupied as a barber shop. He continued with them till the death of M. D. ROBBINS, one of the firm, who died Dec. 1, 1872. After his death the business was closed up and Shephard & Son became its successors, and in 1875 they sold out to Bowman & Ware. The bank had been removed in the meantime from the Arcade building to its present location on south State street, which was previously occupied by Cross & Swallow, bankers. Mr. Bowman has held many offices of trust in our sity and county, was twice elected sheriff, several times alderman and is now mayor, and has good financial standing. Mr. WARE, his partner, was for many years in the drug business in this city and accumulated a handsome fortune. Although not holding any public office, by reason of this political faith being that of the minority, in both city and county, still he has been honored by his party whenever it had favors to bestow and is an acknowledged leader among the republicans. They are both among the solid business men of Jerseyville financially and otherwise, and have many friends throughout the county and state, and therefore are doing a large business.

First National Bank

This bank is the successor of the oldest banks in our city. In 1855 A. M BLACKBURN opened a bank here in in 1859 Dr. D’ARCY and P. D. CHENEY opened another. Shortly after Mr. Blackburn retired and during the war there was only one bank that of D’Arcy and Cheney. On Jan. 1, 1865 they sold out to Cross and Swallow. This thre M. D. ROBINS out his position as clerk and was the means of starting the banking house of Shephard & Co. Mr. Robbins being the junior partner. In 1872 Cross & Swallow were succeeded by Cross, Carlin & Co. Mr. CARLIN coming here from Mt. Vernon, where he had been in the banking business. The bank did business under the name of this firm till Jan. 1879, when it was changed to First National. In 1881 Mr. Carlin withdrew and A. W. CROSS, who had been in the bank since 1872 took charage of the business, his father having devoted his time to looking after his farming interests, which were very large. The bank has done a good bsiness, its directors being among our heaviest property holders. November 21, 1883, Mr. Hugh N. CROSS, the president, died, and A. W. Cross was elected president and Edward CROSS cashier, and now have entire charge of the bank. During the past year they have put in a large fire-proof vault and fitted it up with a set of safe deposit boxes which they rent. The bank is in good sound condition financially and does its share of the business. Mr. A. W. Cross has always been the largest stockholder since it became a National bank, and it is owing to his ability that the bank has been so successful.

Carline & Bagley

Hon. W. E. CARLIN came here from mt. Vernon, where he had been banking in 1872, and was a member of the firm of Cross, Carlin & Co., who bought out Cross & Swallow. He continued in what is now the First National till 1879, where he devoted most of his time to running the Elevator which he bought, now owned by E. O. STANARD & Co. He had charge of this for about eighteen months when he sold it as stated, and in Sept. 1, 1881 opened a bank with Mr. BAGLEY. He has held many offices of trust, has been elected supervisor five times in succession, has served one term in the legislature and received the nomination on the State ticket for Auditor, has been elected alderman and has the reputation of being one of our most careful business men, well versed in banking. His partner, Judge BAGLEY, came to Jerseyville in 1850 and was in business under the names of How, Bagley & Co., and Bagley, Hurd & Co., in the Daily corner, now called Lipe & Holmes, till 1860, when he was elected circuit clerk and held that office for twenty years, showing the great faith the people had in his honesty and integrity. He was the first mayor under city organization and has been elected alderman. In 1881 he entered into partnership with Mr. Carline and they have done a good business since, their bank being located on west Pearl street, near the post office. They have good financial standing and are trusted by their hundreds of friends throughout the country.

John A. Shephard & Co., Bankers

This firm is compound of Mrs. Ann M. SHEPHARD, widow of William SHEPHARD, and her two sones, John A. and Harry, and opened in the banking business Nov. 1st, 1883. At this time there were the three banks above mentioned, already doing business, but it required so much of Mr. Shephard’s time to look after his mothers large business and financial interests, and safes to hold valuable papers that they thought it best to open a bank, as the boys could take charge of it, John A. having been in the business with his father in the firm of William Shephard & Son, and Harry having clerked for a while for Bowman & Ware in 1882. They had the confidence of the people at the start, both being well known, the elder brother havng been elected county treasurer to fill the vacancy caused by the death of Thomas O’DONNEL and at the expiration of that term was elected for a full term, which does not expire till next fall. They have had a good share of the banking business thus far and have no cause to complain. Their bank is located between the Commercial Hotel and the post office and therefore in good position for trade. Mr. J. A. Shephard has several times been elected alderman of our city and now holds that position, havng been elected last April for two years.

Dry Goods, Clothing

A. B. Hall

[First part of this paragraph is unreadable] . . . business under the name of Hall’s. He has one of the finest store rooms in the city, extending from State street to the alley and uses the rear portion as a clothing department. He has had an extensive trade both in the city and county, especially south and west, and has the reputation of selling cheaper than any other house. By energy and perseverance he has risen from clerk to owner of one of largest dry goods stores in Jerseyville and has a host of friends. In his employ he has Mr. Barck WEDDING, who has been with him nearly four years, and who has been clerking in different stores in the city for the past fifteen years and has a large circle of friends and acquaintances who deal with him. Mr. Will HAMMEL is also a favorite and is employed at Hall’s and Miss Hattie McCRACKEN has been engaged to wait on the ladies. He has done a good business for the close times and will always receive at least his fair share of trade. He has been elected alderman twice and has the confidence of our people.

Trepp, Schmeider & Co.

The members of this firm are Gustav TREPP, Charles SCHMEIDER and Benjamin BARNETT. Mr. Trepp came to this country from Frankfort-on-the-Maine in 1871 and clerked for Isaac TREPP, who, at that time, was engaged in the dry goods business here. The firm afterwards became Trepp & Hall and Gustav continued with them till after the firm dissolved in 1881. In the sjpring of ’82 he left Hall’s and went to Centralia where he had charge of Isaac Trepp’s store till fall when he returned here and, in Oct., ’82, with Mr. Schmeider opened one of the fines dry goods and clothing houses in the city in the building formerly occupied by Mr. John TACK. Mr. Schmeider, his partner, came to the country from Ichenheim, (Baden), near Strausburg, in 1871 and clerked for Isaac Trepp for awhile and then for B. C. VANDEVOORT till in 1872 he went to New York city and was in the employ of Geo. Keith & Son, large dry goods dealers with whom he remained nine years and being written to by Mr. Trepp came here and engaged in business with him as stated. From the first they have done a good business and made many friends and their business increasing so much that they required more clerks or a partner, in Ajpril, 1884, they took in Mr. BARNETT, brother of Mr. Trepp’s wife. In their new acquisition they have proved successful as Mr. barnett soon made many friends among the young people and added them to the customers of the firm. He was in the book and stationery business for the last fifteen years, seven years with the St. Louis Book & News Co. when Mr. Barnett took charge of the retail department of Shorb and Boland, booksellers and stationers, 610 and 612 Washington Avenue, where was for the last eight years till he came to Jerseyville. All the members are young men and are energetic and obliging, keep a first class lot of goods and sell as reasonable as they can afford. Since taking the building they are in they have improved it by a new front and now have the handsomest show windows in the city in their line. They have done a remarkable good business the past year and deserve it. It is the only store in the city where English, French and German are spoken. Being conversant with these languages they can deal with all who come to their store.

The Golden Fleece

Jonas LEVY, manager, was opened in 1881, in the store formerly occupied by Frank SMITH. Mr. Levy has always kept a full supply of clothing, hats and caps, and gents furnishing goods, all of which he sells at reasonable prices. His facilities for making custom made clothing and merchant tailoring are first class, and he guarantees a good fit and the best of goods. He came here from Eastport, Maine, in 1881, bringing his family with him and they have proved very agreeable citizens and neighbors. During the past year Mr. Levy has done a good business considering the times and has a first class trade in tailoring, which he will retain and increase as he becomes better known.

B. C. Vandevoort

came to Jerseyville from Patterson N. J., in 1857, bringing his family with him. In 1859 he opened a dry goods store in the old frame building which stood on the site of the one now occupied by J. C. DARBY. He carried on business there till 1866, when he built his present store and took in as a partner Mr. I. M. BEARDSLEE and remained with him three years, when he sold out to him and went east where he remained two years. Returning in 1871 he took charge of the store, Mr. Beardslee opening for himself in the Shephard building. Mr. Vandevoort continued alone till ’75, when he took in as a partner Robert WHITEHEAD and G. F. EDGAR, and the house was known as Edgar, Whitehead & Co. till ’79, when Mr. V. again took charge and is now sole owner. He has been one of the leading merchants in Jerseyville for years, and has the confidence and respect of all who knew him, and has a class of trade that cannot be taken from him, as his customers know what he tells them about his goods is true. His business has been good the past year and satisfactory.

Groceries

Hall & Nevius

The gentlemen who compose this firm are well known in Jerseyville. Mr. HALL began clerking for C. M. HAMILTON in 1861 in teh building now occupied by C. NEUMEYER as a saloon. In 1862 he went to the store now known as teh Hamilton Grocer co. When the wages of painters went up to $4 per day, during the war, he left there and followed his trade which he had learned by serving an apprenticeship of four years with George PARENT. In 1872 he clerked in the grocery store of Locke, Stoeckel & Co. and in 1873 again engaged with Mr. Hamilton where he remained 8 years and in Feb. 1881, in company with Mr. Nevius, opened the “Famous” gorcery store, corner Arch and State. His partner, Henry NEVIUS is a Jerseyville boy and has been an influential citizen since he bacame of age having held several important offices, was deputy sheriff several years, has been elected alderman a number of times and now holds that office. He has great business tact and has a large circle of friends and relatives. The firm opening under such favorable auspices could not fail to attain success, and their trade has constantly increased. The large number of acquaintances they both have, brought them trade from all over the country and just and fair dealing retains it. They have more than their share of the business and have no cause to complain. They have one of the best locations in the city and keep first class goods. The sign of the “Famous” is familiar to all and it is famous for its fine goods and low prices.

John Wiley

came to this city in 1859 and clerked for J. E. SANDFORD, who at that time was doing an extensive grocery business. In 1864 Mr. WILEY opened a grocery store in the building now occupied by Marston & Halliday, and for eight years did a thriving business. In 1872 he found his accommodations too small and leased the Villinger building now occupied by J. E. CORY, hardware. He remained there till Jan. 1, 1882, when he moved into his elegant new building which he now occupies, having built it during the fall of ’81. [a large portion of the text is unreadable] . . . naturally quiet in disposition and his word can always be relied on. It is needless to say he has been successful, for all he has he has paid for and made it while in Jerseyville. In 1871 he built a beautiful residence in the northern part of the city and it is one of the handsomest in town.

J. C. Darby

came here in 1850 and taught school two terms. He then clerked for Alex MOREAN for five years and then went on a farm where he remained eight years, and in 1864 went into business with J. E. SANFORD, who afterwards sold out to Geo. HODGSKIN. In 1867 Mr. DARBY bought out Hodgskin and moved into the building which stood on the site of the one now occupied by him, where he remained till 1870, when he moved to the store now used by L. D. CORY for groceries and remained till the new building was completed, when he returned, and in 1872 sold out to Marston & Nail. He remained out of business two years, and in 1874 bought a half interest with Nail, Marston having sold out in the meantime. In 1876 Mr. Darby bought Nail’s interest and has been at the old stand ever since on west Pearl street, near the National Bank. He has always had the confidence of the public and has as good a trade as any merchant in town, fair dealing and small profits being his motto. Mr. Darby has not amassed a fortune, as he is too good hearted to push is customers and thus loses a great deal by bad debts, but everybody likes John and probably he will live happier and die regretted more than many others, if that is any consolation.

C. M. Boyle

moved to this city in 1866 and began business in the Red Corner with John CONEFREY. He went from there to the building now owned by J. JENNINGS and used as a residence, and in 1868 went to the building known as Hagerty’s where he remained till ’73 when he built the large brick now occupied by Dunphy & McGrath and the Democrat office. He continued in the saloon business till ’75 when he started a grocery store, living in the second story until ’82; when he rented the second story to the Democrat and in 1883 rented the lower room to Dunphy & McGrath, moving his groceries to the building east on the same lot. Mr. Boyle has worked early and late since coming here and now has something laid by for a rainy day. Besides the property mentioned, which is worth about $20,000, he has land in Greene county and several lots in this city. He is what is termed “a square man,” and has an abundance of friends and acquaintances. Of late years he has added traffic in ice to his other business and is always on the look out to catch a stray penny if he can do so honestly.

Boots & Shoes

H. Scheffer & Son

This firm is composed of Henry SCHEFFER and son, Fred. Mr. Scheffer came to Jerseyville from Junster, Prussia, in 1858 and began shoe-making for W. MALLEY in the building now occupied by P. BLOCK, tailor. About one year after he went into business with John GARREL who built the building now occupied by R. HUND as restaurant. He afterwards bought out C. O. O’NEIL and then entered into business with Mr. F. BERTMAN, a relative for Frederick Bertman deceased. They continued together for four years when he bought Mr. Bertman out and worked alone in the building lately occupied by Mrs. ALLEN as a millinery store and burned Nov. 3, ’84. He remained here till ’66 when he built his present store. In Feb. 1880, he took his son, Fred, in as a partner and opened an exclusive boot and shoe store. Beginning on a small scale they have increased till they have twice enlarged their building and now have one of the prettiest little stores in the city, plate glass windows and well fitted up. Mr. Scheffer has had the misfortune to be robbed five times but always worked all the harder to regain that which was stolen. They keep a full line of boots, shoes and slippers and making this an exclusive business have secured a large trade, as the people know they can obtain any style of shoe they desire and at reasonable prices. Mr. Fred Scheffer is one of the most accommodating young gentlemen in the city, a favorite with the ladies and will retain his trade. They have done a good business the past year improving very much on any other since they began.

Jewelry

J. E. Boynton, Jeweler

came here in April, 1875, and opened a small jewelers sop in the “Morean corner” then occupied by Doenges and Vogel. He remained there about two months when he moved into the building on North State street occupiec by him till it burned on the night of Nov. 3rd, 188r, when he put his goods into the building near the “red corner,” and is now doing business at that stand. Mr. BOYNTON was born in Illinois, at Galena, and when the war began enlisted in 1861 and after the war closed in ’65, returned home and, like thousands of ther “soldier boys,” started to earn an honorable living and place in society. He served an apprenticeship as a jeweler and went to Alton where he was employed by Carey, then as now, an extensive dealer in jewelry. While there he learned of the death of Mr. VILLINGER who was the leading jeweler here at that time and soon after his son George died, leaving by one jewelry house in the city (Mr. CASAVANTS) and he thought this a good opening and located here. Since then he has kept the largest and best jewelry store in the city his perfect knowledge of the business making him eminently fitted to do any work in that line, and by his honesty and integrity secured a trade that formerly went to St. Louis and other large cities, his patrons knowing they can rely on what he tells them. He makes specialty of spectacles and eyeglasses and has all the instruments for testing the eye to fit it properly. Added to his other capabilities he is an expert in tuning pianos and organs and therefore deals in musical instruments. His business has been excellent the past year and during the holidays even in these times of business depression he sold for Christmas gifts thirteen gold watches and a piano. He is an exemplification of what honesty, integrity, energy and enterprise will accomplish, as he never hesitates to bring before the people the fact that he is ready to serve them.

Manufacturing Establishments

In Nov., 1882, the Jerseyville Manufacturing Co., started by buying the machine shops of R. NEWTON and the patent of the New Model Sulky plow of F. S. DAVENPORT the inventor. These shops were started by Adolph BAYER who made furniture there and in 1863 Hon. H. O. GOODRICH and R. Newton bought him out and established a machine shop, Mr. Newton having learned the trade of George WHARTON. They continued the business till ’65 (?) when Mr. Newton bought Mr. Goodrich out and in ’68 took in, as a partner, Mr. Levy CORY who remained till ’71 when he sold to Mr. Newton who continued business till he sold out to the Manufacturing Co., he retaining the largest share of the captial stock, $50,000, and was elected general manager. A good business has always been done at these shops and the company manufactured their sulky plow exclusively till last year when they allowed the J. I. Case plow company, of Racine, Wis., to make it on a royalty, they reserving a large part of Central Illinois for their own trade. The company have done a good business but owing to the small crops and low prices of farm produce collections have been hard to make and they concluded not to run the shops till spring. The business is on a good financial basis, the stockholders, seventeen in number, being among the best business men in the county. Col FULKERSON is president, J. M. PAGE secretary [remainer of page unreadable].

Geo. Egelhoff[Beginning of this paragraph unreadable] . . . by J. BELL, and worked in the shop afterwards burned on the lot north of Mr. Egelhoff’s present place of business. In 1859 he rented a forge and tools of “Pap” ESTES and began work for himself in a shop on the corner where Hawkin’s paint shop stands. By industry and economy he saved enough to buy the building, corner of Pearl and Jefferson streets in 1863, and began making carriages and buggies, and the reputation of his vehicles for wear and durability soon brought him all the work he could do. In 1864 he built the addition south and his business increasing so rapidly he was obliged to build another addition in 1877, and in 1882 bought the old Presbyterian Church and used it as a repository for his carriages. He dealt in farm implements from 1863 till his sons took taht part of the business off his hands in ’83. Mr. Egelhoff has been one of the most enterprising, energetic business men of our city, always ready to perform manual labor when necessary, and few people have worked harder than he. He has accumulated quite a larage property which embraces a fine residence on Arch street, the extensive buildings he occupies, the house adjoing them and the property occupied by his sons Fred and Will. Yet we found him at work helping his blacksmith and apparently as handy as ever with the sledge. He has been elected alderman four times and now holds that position. His work is known and sought after all through this part of Illinois, as the people know a vehicle made by Geo. EGELHOFF is reliable. He annually does a good business and has the confidence of all who know him.

Egelhoff Bros.

These energetic young men, Fred and Will, began business Jan. 1, ’83, in the building on corner of Pearl and Jefferson streets. They keep a full line of farm machinery and especially Buckeye goods, of which they are the sole agents. They also keep on hand a large supply of flour of all brands, feed, corn and garden and field seeds in bulk. They are both industrious, sober and energetic, and are sure to do their share at least of the business in their line. Fred, the elder, was book-keeper for his father for ten years, and Will also worked with him and thus they acquired a thorough knowledge of the business before beginning for themselves. The short crops and hard times of corse affects them as well as others, as their trade is mostly with the farmers, but they are hopeful of a good season to come and will be prepared for it and will secure a good trade. Honesty, sobriety, industry and energy are bound to win and they will yet be classed among the wealthy men of our city.

Wolfe & McClure

This firm was organized Jan. 1, 1883, for the purpose of dealing in farm implements and machinery. Mr. WOLFE has been in that business for the past twelve years and was thorougly acquainted with it. Mr. McCLURE also dealt in marchinery in ’79, and the firm had a large trade the past year selling about $20,000 worth of machinery. They are good business men, and have many friends among the farmers.

Butchers

A. Holnback

came here in Jan. 1863 and began butchering. He was a poor man but a hard worker and opened a market int he building now occupied by E. GOCKE as a restaurant. From there he moved to Thuston’s Row, then to the building lately burned and occupied by Boynston, then to Pearl st., where Titus & Co. have their auction rooms, from there to Snedeker’s building on State then to Thuston’s Row then to the Villinger building then to the building near the Red Corner and from there back to the Snedeker building where he now is. During two years of this time he retired from business and spent his time fixing up the various houses that he owns. No man has worked harder or more faithful than Adolph HOLNBACK, and he has accumulated a good deal of property, owning several houses, a piece of land for which he paid $2,000 and has built a fine residence. Besides this he owns a large tract of land in Christian county. He had a great deal to contend with when he first started, but has succeeded in spite of all and can now look back to those times without regret. Among his good qualities is that of being accommodating, and he has a good trade and custom. He keeps choice meats of all kinds and is always pleased to see his customers. While not obliged to work he does so from force of habit and is seen early and late at his market ready to earn an honest penny.

Charles H. Holnback

This energetic young business man was born in Jerseyville and learned the butcher business of his father. As soon as he was large enough to sit on a horse he was driving cattle and as he grew to manhood he took his place in the market and waited on the numerous customers, among whom he made a host of friends. When his father retired, in 1882, Charlie took the business and opened, Oct. 17 of that year, in Thuston’s Row. He has kept first class meat and the market was always clean, and neat as far as he was able to keep it, but the room not bing large enough of course, he was hampered and put to a great deal of unnecessary work. He remained here, however, till Oct. 4, 1884, when he rented the lower room in the National Hotel of Bowman and Chapman, which they fitted up for him in good style, and he has one of the finest meat markets in the state. He kills, on an average, thirteen fat cattle per week, besides a large number of sheep, lambs, calves and hogs in their season. Last year he began packing hogs for market but found a ready sale for all the hams and shoulders at home. This year he will pack 1,000 hogs. In Sept., 1882, he married Miss Bena ACHAMBACH, of Greenfield, and when he began butchering he bought the property in the western part of the city known as “Sanford’s slaughter house.” This he improved, and built a fine house, barn and outbuildings, expending over $6,000 upon them. He has a large stock yard and shelter to feed fifty head of cattle at one time. He has a large and growing trade, is one of our good citizens and is destined to amass a competency in a few years as he is generally liked by all.

Physicians and Surgeons

Dr. Charles W. Enos

is a young physician, only thirty-five years of age, and came here from Edwardsville in Jan. 1874. He belongs to the Homoepathic school of medicine and by his success in his practice has made friends for himself and his methods. During the first eleven months of his residence here he booked oer $2,200, thus showing a large practice even in the beginning of his career among us. His practice yearly increased till in 1882 he sent for his father, who was also a physician, to come and assist him and now his receipts are from $4,000 to $6,000 yearly. In 1878 he bought a house and block on North Lafayette street, and in 1881 sold it and bought the elegant residence erected by Mr. Abner CORY at the West End. In 1882 he bought the Abner Cory farm lying three miles south of this city and also has a lot of cattle on range in the Indian Territory, besides other property. Nearly all of this has been accumulated in the past ten years as he had but fifty dollars when he came to this city, a stranger. As shown by his card in the Democrat he makes the reatment of the eye and ear a speciality, and has performed successfully many very intricate and difficult operations upon those organs, as also upon other parts of the human body, his skill as a surgeon being second to none in this city. He has made for homoepath many friends and as years are added to his life he will increase his patients through a successful practice.

Dr. ? H. Allen

[The beginning of this paragraph is unreadable] . . . His fame has spread to distant cities an he is called hundreds of miles to perform opperations upon the afflicted which he does with uniform success almost unparalled in the history of specialists. His practice the past year has amounted to nearly $10,000, and his patients send him letters of praise and thanksgiving. While a specialist in certain diseases he likewise practices medicine and is among the leading physicians in our city and not being hampered or controlled by any society or code of ethics, leaves him free to do good in the manner which seems best to himself. He is a contributor to several medical magazines and his views attract general attention.

Dentists

Geo. S. Miles

Dr. MILES came to Jerseyville in 1855 and opened an office in one of the small buildings south of the Jersey House. He studied dentistry at Fitchburg, Mass., and came from that city to this. After a short time he moved to the building in the rear of Remer’s drug store, and in 1860 to the rooms over Lipe & Holmes store where he remained fifteen years, from there he went to rooms in the Commercial Hotel where he remained five years and then renting the large residence opposite, established his office there where he is at present. Dr. Miles has always been one of the respected citizens of Jerseyville, straightforward and upright and has accumulated a competency with his profession. For years he has been the leading dentist here and at times the only one and has met with good success in his operations. He has many regular patrons and a large share of the transit trade.

Dr. E. Flannigain

came to Jerseyville Oct. 10, ’82 from Baltimore, Md., where he was demonstrator in the dental college, the oldest of its kind in the world. He rented rooms over J. WILEY’s store and asked for a share of the business, well knowing he could give satisfaction if employed. It was not long till his work gained him a reputation and he soon had a class of the best customers in the city and county. He counts among his patrons the best of our citizens and has made arrangements to move over Boynton’s jewelry store where he will have better accomocations for both himself and patrons. He has all the modern appliances to render the business as painless as possible and is a thorough master of his profession. His prices are reasonable for the character of work done.

Dr. H. D. Bull

opened an office in the rooms over Hall’s in January ’84, and has done a business far beyond his expectations, as he knew a new comer had to work up a business. He has a good list of patrons, his work gives general satisfaction, and his business is increasing rapidly.

Marble Works

Harry Houghtlin

the marble worker, came to this city in 1869 and with his brother, David, bought out R. S. BENEDICT, who had a small shop here. The Houghtlin Bros. soon proved that they were master workmen and the best of that class of work in this and surroung counties was given them. In 1880 Harry bought his brother’s interest, and in 1881 bought the lot, corner of Arch and Jefferson streets, of H. O. Goodrich, fitted up and moved from the old stand on east Pearl street to the new shop. During his residence here he has put up over $175,000 worth of monuments and headstones. The finest works of art in Oak Grove Cemetery, this city, are the proofs of his handiwork and artistic taste, some of the monuments costing upwards of $1,000 each. Among the finest are those erected to the memory of Dr. J. O. HAMILTON, Abijah DAVIS, W. STOECKEL, H. N. CROSS, Nelson COLEAN, Benjamin RIGGS, John CORBETT, and J. A. LOCKE. Mr. HOUGHTLIN has always been noted for his honesty and straightforward manner of dealing and can be relied on to faithfully perform his obligations. As a testimony of this we refer to the award of the contract for the soldiers monument by the officers of the Monument Association without getting other bids upon it. He has always been held in high esteem by all who know him.

Hardware

J. S. Daniels

The largest and most convenient store in this trade is conducted by Mr. DANIELS, who came to Jerseyville in 1854, and worked at farming till he enlisted in the army. At the close of the war he returned and in 1865 was elected city marshal and held this office six years. The year following he was employed by the C. & A. railroad in securing right-of-way &c., and in Feb. ’71 opened a hardware store in teh building now occupied by him. In 1873 he bought the building at the sale of M. D. ROBBINS estate and has made several additions to it. He employs three clerks, and three workmen who have charge of the tine department. Mr. Daniels has always been classed as one of our reliable men, his honesty and integrity being high qualifications, has been elected alderman four times, and now holds that office. There are few men who stand as high in the estimation of the people of the city and county as he and their confidence has never been betrayed. He has done a very extensive business the past year and has the bulk of the trade in his line.

Contractor and Builder

H. C. Leak, Builder

It is seldom a young man rises in business as has Mr. Leak. In March, 1872, he apprenticed himself to N. F. SMITH, Jr., to learn the carpenter trade and worked for him till ’76 when he began business for himself in what was called the “Old Spoke Factor.” He remained there but a short time and then moved to the building over Houghtlin’s marble shop on Pearl street and from there to the brick building now occupied by H. HOUGHTLIN. In 1880 having prospered, he built his present shop on Washington street and last year built himself an elegant residence on West Arch street. Mr. Leak is one of the best workmen in this city, his word can be relied on implicitly and his work always gives satisfaction. He has contracted for some of the finest buildings here, and they give good evidence of his qualifications as a builder. The residences of John A. SHEPHARD, Mrs. Ann M. SHEPHARD and C. KIRBY were built by him and are all among the best. He is reliable in all he undertakes.

Furniture

This business is carried on by Mr. Fred ARMSTRONG who bought out Mr. Hugh BELLAS Feb. 9, ’84 and continued at the old stand in the Hawley building. He kept a first class stock, both in quality and quantity, till he was burned out on the night of Nov. 3, the fire starting in the second story of his building. He had an insurance of $4,300 but was compelled to settle with the companies for $2,99 making a loss to him of about $1,500 as most of the stock that was not burned was badly injured. After settling with the adjuster he moved his stock to Thuston’s Row and is disposing of it as rapidly as possible. If he can get a suitable room he will open again in the spring with a full stock. He made many frieds while in business who would like to see him again resume.

Drugs, Medicines, &c.

T. F. Remer

is proprietor of the drug store on the west side of State street and has a well ordered and reliable bsiness. In 1864-65 he was clerking for William SHEPHARD, who at that time had a large dry goods and clothing store, now occupied by Beardslee & Stelle. In the fall of ’65 he clerked for a while for Buffington Bros., who had opened a drug store in the building formerly on the site now occupied by J. S. DANIELS. In a short time they sold out to White & Van Horne and Mr. REMER still retained his position. [unreadable text] . . . Mr. Remer remained with Mr. ROASCHE till the fall of ’73, when he went into business for himself with B. M. KRUMPANITZKY, who had been for many years with Mr. WARE. They opened up Thanksgiving day ’73 and remained together till Feb. ’79, when Mr. Krumpanitzky sold out and Mr. Remer has continued the business up to the present time. His trade has steadily increased and he now keeps two assistants, C. DU HADWAY and F. CUMMINGS, the former having been with him several years.

Insurance, Abstracts, &C.

This business had been carried on by Geo H. JACKSON, Sr. till his death last May, when his son George took charge of it. Mr. Jackson had prepared one of the most complete set of abstract books in the state and his son thus has the benefit of them in his business. Besides this he is agent for the German-American of N. Y., the Aetna of Hartford, and the St. Paul of St. Paul, all first-class insurance companies. His office is in the Cumberland church building, east of the court house, where he will attend to any business in his line with care and dispatch. Although a young man he is trustworthy.

Livery and Sale Stables

E. A. R. Meyers

proprietor of the Nation Stable has a fine brick building corner of Pearl and Jefferson streets. He came to this county Jan. 5, 1878 and farmed till July 1880, when he bought his present business of C. E. BOWMAN. The stable is the oldest in the city, having been started when the National Hotel was built. During late years it was run by Magassi, who sold out to James COCKRELL and he to C. E. Bowman, who erected a large brick building upon the lot, but wishing to go west sold out to Mr. MEYERS. The latter keeps about fifteen horses, carriages and buggies in proportion and has done a good business. He boards several horses for citizens and keeps them in first-class order, is accommodating, agreeable and honest, and all can rely on thier stock receiving good care. In 1882 he built a fine residence on Exchange street, has made money in the business and has a large circle of friends and acquaintances who patronize him.

C. E. Bowman

bought J. COCKRELL’s interst in the livery business at the corner of Pearl and Jefferson streets in 1873, and erected a large brick stable. In July 1878 he sold out to E. A. R. MEYERS and went to Nebraska, where he remained till the spring of ’82, when he returned and built his present quarters, corner of Arch and Jefferson streets, opening in May of that year. It seems useless to give a histor of Charlie BOWMAN, the name is so familiar, his father having been one of the most prominent men in the county for years, and his son well known to all. He is a good business man, and by strict attention to business has gained a large trade and keeps many horses for private individuals. His stables occupy a large amount of ground and everything is kept in first-class order. Quiet and unassuming in manner, he has gathered aroundhim a large circle of close friends and is each year adding to the list. His stock of horses and vehicles are first-class and he is ever ready to day or night to accommodate the public.

Stock Farms

J. V. STRYKER is the largest horse breeder and dealer in the county. He has a fine farm in the suburbs and keeps the best of stock. Many of his horses are related to Jay-Eye-See, Maud S. Phallas, Trinket and other noted horses. Mr. Stryker is thoroughly posted in pedigrees, and has often been consulted when it required close decision. His annual catalog has as fine stock as any breeder can show in this country. His conduct has ever been such that he disproves the allegation so often heard, that a horseman cannot be trusted.

Lawyers

A. A. GOODRICH was born in Jerseyville, studied with Robinson, Knapp & Schutt of Springfield, was admitted to the bar in 1873, elected States Attorney in 1878 and has held the office since that time and was re-elected in November for another four years. His practice has been extensive and he stands high in the ranks of attorneys here and by his fairness in prosecution has gained many friends among the law-abiding citizens. He was presented by this county as a candidate for congress in ’82 and came within three votes of securng the desired prize. He has good natural ability and will make his mark in the world.

J. S. Carr

came to Jerseyville from Kane, Aug. 5, ’82 and opened an office for the practice of law over Bowman & Ware’s bank. Mr. CARR resided in Greene county many years and had a good many frieds there. He was elected to the legislature in 1880, and served with distinction in that body. His practice has grown here and extends to Calhoun county, where he has a large amount of the business before the courts. He is indefatigable in behalf of his clients and merits the patronage he receives, which will constantly increase as he becomes known.

The above is but a brief summary of the business men of Jerseyville our space not allowing a more extended notice. There are many others here in equally good standing and there is not a town in this section of Illinois which can hold out better inducements to people to locate. We understand a large hotel is contemplated by that prince of cateres and reliable business man, Wallace LEIGH, whose name savors of all the good things to eat, and if he undertakes this we all know it will be a success. There is no reason Jerseyville should not become a summer resort for parties from St. Louis. Now town is located in a prettier or healthier locality and our people are among the best in the land, ever generous and free hearted. We are about 300 feet above the Mississippi, and one and a half hours ride from St. Louis and if an effort was made we could get rates that would justify business men locating here in summer.

Jersey County Page     Jerseyville History