Jersey County ILGenWeb, copyright Judy Griffin 2005. In keeping with our policy of providing free information on the Internet, data and images may be used by non-commercial entities, as long as this message remains on all copied material. These electronic pages cannot be reproduced in any format for profit or for other presentation without express permission by the contributor(s).
From History of Greene and Jersey Counties, Illinois, Springfield, IL: Continental Historical Co., 1885, pp. 150 – 162. Not a complete transcription. There will be typographical errors.
Physicians of the Past
Among the physicians of the county, was Dr. Silas Hamilton, who came to Otterville in 1830. He died there in 1834.
The first disciple of the healing art to locate at Jerseyville was Dr. A. H. Burritt, who came in 1833, before the town was laid out, being among the first settlers on the site of Jerseyville. The old log cabin which he erected still stands as a monument to his memory, and is located on the corner of Exchange and Pleasant streets. He here first settled and entered 80 acres of land. He was born in Troy, New York, where he resided until 1832, when he came to Illinois, locating in Carrollton, and the following year came to Jerseyville as above stated. He was of the old allopathic school and practiced here until 1836, when he moved to a farm in Greene county. In 1838 he went to Cleveland, Ohio, and later moved to New Orleans, where he lived until his death, about 1875.
During 1833 there was an accession to the medical profession in the person of Dr. Asa Snell, who came from his native state, Vermont. He remained here until his death, Jan. 21, 1874, although retired from active practice during the latter years of his life. He raised quite a large family of children, all of whom proved to be bright, intelligent and industrious. One son is still a resident of the county. Dr. Snell was considered a smart man, having a large and lucrative practice, and died leaving considerable property.
Dr. Edward Augustus D’Arcy, for thirty years one of the most prominent physicians of this county, came here in 1833, and settled on land which he entered near a small stream which still bears his name. He was born in Hanover, Morris county, N.J., April 15, 1796, and was the son of Dr. John D’Arcy, an eminent physician of that state, and surgeon of the 1st New Jersey regiment in the Revolutionary war. His mother was Phoebe Johnes, who before the dawn of the new century was numbered with the silent inmates of the tomb, leaving Edward an infant but three years old. He received his education at the schools of Morristown, and studied medicine under the tuition of his father, was was licensed to practice medicine April 4, 1817. He was married Oct. 22, 1821 to Mary McEowen, a daughter of Dr. Hugh McEowen, of Baskingridge, N.J., by whom he had two daughters: Ann Caroline, wife of Judge Frederick H. Teese, of New Jersey, member of the 44th Congress; and Catherine M., late wife of P. D. Cheney, of Jerseyville. In 1833 he came to Jersey county and located on a farm on the stream now known as Dorsey’s branch. He was considered a very skillful man and pronounced authority. He did not like practicing very well, but was a great admirer of horses, consequently did not devote much time or attention to medicine. He died here April 25, 1863.
Dr. John W. Lott, a native of New Jersey, came to Jerseyville in 1834. He was one of the proprietors of the original town plat, assisting in the laying out and naming of the place in honor of his native state. He practiced for some time, but having a strong attachment for his native soil, returned to that state.
Dr. James C. Perry, a native born Scotchman, who had served in the British service for seven years, came about 1838. He is well remembered by the citizens of Jerseyville as a skillful practitioner, and an honest and upright man in all his dealings. He continued to practice here until his death in May 1859. He was a scholarly and scientific man, generous to a fault and was never known to oppress the poor for payment for medical aid.
Dr. Edwin A. Casey, who came to Jerseyville about 1840, and practiced successfully many years, died March 22, 1874. He was a native of Rhode Island, and at the time of his death was 66 years of age. He was the senior member of the medical firm of Casey & Wellington, the latter coming to Jerseyville about the same time, 1840.
Dr. R. H. Van Dyke came to the city of Jerseyville from the state of New Jersey about 1840, and was one of the prominent physicians of this county until the day of his death, September 6, 1845.
Dr. James Bringhurst, now deceased, was one of the early physicians of Jersey county. He was born in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1818. His parents were James and Sarah Bringhurst. When he had arrived at the age of about 13 years, his parents moved to Wilmington, Delaware. There he resided until coming out to Illinois. He commenced the study of medicine with Dr. Robert Porter of Wilmington. After this he attended the Jefferson Medical College at Philadelphia, and before graduating there, he spent eight years in the acquirement of a knowledge of the profession. He practiced in Wilmington until 1842, when he came out to Illinois, and located in what is now Ruyle township, Jersey county. He remained in that location about two years, and then moved to section 2, Fidelity township, where his son, John, now resides. About 1850 he moved into Jerseyville and entered into partnership with Dr. D’Arcy. From that time until 1857 he practiced in Jerseyville, Chicago and Springfield, and from 1857 to 1861 in Jerseyville alone. In April 1861 he enlisted as surgeon of the 128th Ill. Inf. He was afterwards promoted to be brigade surgeon. He was taken sick in the service, and his constitution was underminded, so that he never regained his health. From the army he returned to Jerseyville, where he remained a short time, then moving to Alton. For short periods after this he resided in Jerseyville, on his farm in Fidelity township, and in Alton. In the latter place he contracted Bright’s disease, and he steadily declined, until on coming to Jersey county for rest, he died at the house of his cousin, Henry Ryan, now of Ruyle township, on June 23, 1870. He was married to Mary Ryan, a daughter of John Ryan, an old settler, in 1850. They were the parents of four children: James, John, Robert and Harry.
Doctor R. D. Farley, one of the early doctors of Jerseyville, came to this county sometime in the “forties.” In 1852 he was county physician, attending to the wants of those undortunates who had to depend on the charity and commiseration of those about them. Dr. Farley was the oldest child of Rev. Abel and Hannah (Dressler) Farley, born Dec. 3, 1808 in Massachusetts. He was twice married, first in March 1831 to Mary G. Rand of Boston. Soon after his marriage he moved to Illinois, locating at Carrollton, and afterward moved to Alton, form which place he came to Jerseyville, where he lived until his death, Sept. 27, 1884. His first wife died Sept. 25, 1875. He was married the second time, July 26, 1877, to Mrs. Mary E. Briggs. Dr. Farley did not commence practice here at a very early day, but was the first homeopathic physician in the city. He was well known and highly esteemed, and a gentleman whose wisdom and judgment were much respected by his many friends and associates.
Dr. Augustus R. Knapp was one of the most prominent physicians of Jersey county in early days. He came to Jerseyville in 1844, and after enjoying a large and extensive practice, died at his residence in that city, July 13, 1862. Dr. Knapp was a member of the constitutional convention of 1847.
Charles Glazier, a German physician, located in Jerseyville in 1846, but only remained about a year.
Dr. Pitner also came about this time from Marion county. In 1848 he joined the excited throng for the far west, to seek his fortunes in the gold regions of California, and has not been heard of since.
Dr. George Adrain, at one time connected with the medical profession of Jerseyville, deserves mention in this connection. He came here about 1850.
Dr. John L. White was prominently identified with the profession at Jerseyville for several years. He was born in Massachusetts in 1832, and came to this place in 1852. He was married in 1858 to Hattie Hawley, who resided a short distance from Jerseyville. He continued the pursuit of his profession at this place until 1870, when he moved to Bloomington, this state, where he still resides. He has passed into history as having been one of the leading physicians of Jerseyville, and a skillful and successful practitioner. He was also a prominent member of the Masonic fraternity, having attained the position of master.
Among the medical profession during the “fifties,” was Dr. H. C. Harriman, a native of Massachusetts, who came from Gardner, that state, to Jerseyville. He died here March 12, 1858.
Among the former physicians of Jerseyville was Dr. William T. Hutchinson, a native of Kentucky, who continued in the practice of his profession until his death, January 27, 1864.
Dr. John L. Furber came to Jerseyville about the year 1860, where he was shortly afterward married. He practiced here two or three years, when he moved to Kansas and engaged in the cattle business, and has subsequently became wealthy. He is an Illinoian.
Dr. W. L. Burnett, a native of Indiana, came to Jerseyville and commenced the study of the science of medicine in the office of J. O. Hamilton in 1866, and later attended lectures at the St. Louis Medical College, from which he graduated in 1869. He practice his profession in the village of Fideltiy and vicinity for several years, when he moved to Kane, Greene county.
Among the physicians of Jerseyville of the past was Dr. John B. Hamilton. He is the second of a family of nine children of Rev. B. B. and Mary A. Hamilton. The subject of this sketch was educated in the common schools of Jersey and Greene counties. In 1862 he became a clerk in the drug store of his uncle, Dr. J. O. Hamilton of Jerseyville, and afterward clerked in the drug store of J. M. Israel, M.D., at White Hall. When about the age of seventeen he commenced the study of medicine, under the instruction of Dr. J. O. Hamilton. From White Hall he moved to Bunker Hill, where he sold goods in the store of C. C. Campbell until February 1864, when he returned to Jerseyville and resumed his studies. Soon after this his father purchased an interest in a drug store at Manchester, Ill., and in September 1865, the subject of this sketch went to Manchester to conduct the store, where he remained until February 1867. While there he devoted his leisure hours to the study of Latin, under the tuition of John Grant, A.M., and in the winter of 1867-68 attended lectures at Rush Medical College, Chicago. He spent his vacation at Jerseyville, in study, and in the winter of 1868-69 attended the same college, and in February of the latter year graduated. That session in college he was assistant to Dr. R. L. Rhea, professor of anatomy. In March 1869 he settled at Jerseyville, in partnership with Dr. J. O. Hamilton, and in December following purchased the practice of Dr. O. K. Reynolds, of Kane. Besides enjoying a good practice, he was proprietor of a drug store at that place. In May 1869 he became a member of the State Medical Society, and at that meeting was appointed a member of the committee on surgery. On October 4, 1871, Dr. Hamilton was married to Mary L. Frost, daughter of the late John S. Frost, of Jersey county, and grand-daughter of Judge Lowe. The doctor has rapidly risen to a high standing in the profession of medicine and surgery, and is now filling the important position of surgeon-general of the United States marines.
Doctor W. O. Langdon, at one time a practicing physician of Jersey county, came to Delhi in 1870, and carried on the duties of his profession in that vicinity for about eight years, when he moved to Carrollton, Greene county.
Henry Z. Gill, M.D. came to Jerseyville April 26, 1873 from St. Louis. He is a native of Pennsylvania, born Oct. 6, 1831. He graduated at Jefferson Medical College, Philadelphia, and began practice at Columbus, Ohio, where he remained until the commencement of the rebellion, when he enlisted in the three month’s service, serving four years and a half. He arose from assistant surgeon to surgeon of volunteers, of the rank of lieutenant colonel, which position he held until the close of the war. He then spent two years in Europe, after which he located at St. Louis, Mo., where he followed his profession, and in company with Dr. W. S. Edgar, published the Medical Journal, after which he came to Jerseyville as noted in the foregoing. In August 1881 he took charge of the Southern Illinois penitentiary, and in November 1883 resigned that position to accept the chair of surgery in the Wooster Medical College at Cleveland, Ohio, where he now resides, and which position he still retains.
Among the physicians of the past was Charles A. Knapp, a son of A. R., who practiced here for two or three years. Shortly after his marriage he moved to California, where he subsequently died.
Among the medical fraternity of the presesnt now located in the county, the following are among the most prominent and are representative men of the class: Drs. A. K. Van Horne, George Sumrall, E. L. H. Barry, Caleb DuHadway, A. A. Shobe, C. A. Edgar, C. R. and C. W. Enos, T. J. Kingston, A. A. Barnett, of Jerseyville; C. G. Buffington and Wesley Park, of Fieldon; A. D. Erwin, of Fidelity; John S. Williams and James A. Flautt, of Otterville; S. M. Watson and E. F. Francis, of Mississippi township; A. F. Slover, of Elsah township; J. F. Gary, of Delhi and J. Tidball, of Grafton.
Dr. A. K. Van Horne, is a son of Elijah and Polly Wyckoff Van Horne, was born in Schoharie Co., N.Y., April 2, 1831, and came with his parents to Jersey county in 1833. He received his education in the common schools of this county. In 1852 he commenced the study of medicine with Dr. Charles A. Knapp, of Jerseyville. He attended lectures at the Missouri Medical College St. Louis in 1853 and 1854. In the latter year he went to Greene county, where he continued his studies and practice his profession. In the fall of 1855 he entered Jefferson Medical College, Philadelphia, from which he graduated in March 1856. He then came to Jerseyville and commenced the practice of his profession in earnest. In 1871 and 1872 he returned to Philadelphia, and took part of a course of lectures, to bring himself abreast of the times. On Oct. 11, 1859, he was married to Elizabeth S. Bacon, who died Oct. 18, 1881. On Dec. 23, 1884, the doctor was again married to Sarah M. Stelle. He is the eldest practicing physician in the county.
George Sumrall, M.D., Jerseyville, Jersey county, Ill., came to Illinois March 1, 1872, and to Jersey county October 1874; is a member of the Presbyterian church, and of Masonic lodge, chapter and council; has one child Maggie, born March 4, 1873. In April 1876, was mover and drafter, before Jersey County Medical Society, of a greeting to State Medical Association, praying that body to secure such legislative action as would compel higher medical education and partially rid our state of quacks. In response to said greeting, the State Medical Association appointed a committee which spent the next winter at the capitol, memoralized the legislature, and secured the enactment of our state medical act, and the appointment of our State Board of Health, which has saved to our state millions of dollars, and to her citizens untold suffering. Witness the control of small-pox, the emigrant train inspection, and the hundreds of uneducated charlatans compelled to cease practicing on the lives of our citizens, and to seek climes where ignorance is more tolerated.
A. A. Shobe, M.D., one of the leading physicians of this county, came here in the spring of 1873, from Franklin county, Mo., of which state and county he is a native, and was born Aug. 24, 1846. His father, Alfred Shobe, and mother Mary (McGinnis) Shobe, both died when he was but two years old. He was brought up by W. J. Brown, who was a member of the Missouri state legislature, and whose daughter he subsequently married. His youth was spent on a farm, where he was variously employed in the multifarious duties incident to the life of a boy in such a position. He attended common schools in his native county, and when 14 years old was attending the academy at Kirkwood, St. Louis county, preparatory to a military education at West Point. Meanwhile his guardian, whose sympathies were with the southern people, during the conflict of that time, went south and placed himself among those of the legislature who favored secession. The subject of this sketch went with him subsequently, and in 1862 joined the Confederate army, remained in the service until the close of the war, and was paroled at Mobile, Ala. He then entered the Christian Brothers’ college, St. Louis, to complete his literary education, and remained two sessions. He then commenced the study of medicine, graduating from the McDowell’s College in 1868-69, when he commenced the practice of medicine in Franklin county, Mo., and there continued until coming here. His marriage to Sallie A. Brown occurred June 3, 1868. They have had three children, Mary O., Cora B. and Irene V. Mr. Shobe is a member of the Knights of Pythias and the Masonic fraternity. He takes a commendable interest in public affairs, and was for two years president of the board of education.
Charles R. Enos, M.D. was born in Madison county, N.Y. in March 1816. His father, Joseph Enos, a native of Rhode Island, was a farmer, and the subject of this sketch was reared to farm life. In 1842 he migrated to St. Louis, Mo., where he worked in a machine ship until 1849. He then went to Madison county, Ill., and engaged in farming. Here he commenced taking care of the sick, being a good nurse, also practiced medicine to a considerable extent. In 1874 he graduated from the homoeopathic medical college, of Missouri, and has since that time given his attention principally to the practice of medicine. In April 1882 he came to Jerseyville, since which he has practiced his profession in company with his son, Dr. C. W. Enos. He was married in 1845 to Eliza A. Thorpe, and by this union has had ten children, eight of whom are living: Sarah C., Charles W., of Jerseyville; William H., who graduated as a physician, but follows farming; Ida V., wife of Theo. S. Ellison; Joseph W., a physician; Lawrence, Dewitt C. and Grace.
C. W. Enos, M.D. located at Jerseyville Jan. 29, 1874. He was born in Madison county, Ill., Dec. 13, 1849, and is a son of Dr. C. R. and Eliza Ann (Thorpe) Enos. He was brought up on a farm and received a good education, attending the state normal school at Bloomington, Ill., also the state industrial institution at Champaign. After completing his education he taught school two terms, then turned his attention to the study of medicine, with a view to making that profession his life work. He entered the office of Dr. W. C. F. Hempstead, of Edwardsville, with whom he studied for a time. In 1872 he became a student at the homoeopathic medical college of Missouri, from where he graduated in 1874, receiving the prize for surgery. He thn came to Jerseyville and, opening an office on the day of his arrival, within two hours received his first call, to attend a case of lung fever the patient being a daughter of David M. Houghton. HIs practice rapidly increased, and in the first eleven months of his residence here, his accounts amounted to two thousand dollars. Since Dr. Enos located in this city there have been but three days during which he has not received a call, with the exception of one week when he was absent from the city on a pleasure trip. In 1881 Dr. Enos took a course of lectures on the eye and ear, at the New York Opthalmic Hospital, also an operating course on the eye and ear, under the celebrated Dr. H. Knapp. He has since made a specialty of treating those organs. He has performed many difficult surgical operations, and always with perfect success. Although comparatively a young man, Dr. Enos stands at the head of his profession, and his reputation for skill and good judgement is well known and widespread. His success has been something remarkable, and his practice extensive and remunerative. He is a member of the Western Academy of Homoeopathy, and of the American Institute of Homoeopathy. Dr. Enos was married in 1875 to Melissa Post, daughter of C. A. Post, who died in October 1877. In 1879 Dr. Enos was married to Elizabeth Cory, daughter of Abner and Margaret Cory. They are the parents of two children, Herbert C. and Gracie E. Dr. and Mrs. Enos are members of the Baptist church, and he was for six years superintendent of the Sabbath school. He is an active temperance worker, and in 1884 was candidate for secretary of state on the prohibition ticket. He is a member of the county and state central committees. Dr. Enos came to Jerseyville fifty dollars in debt, but has been highly successful financially. He is the owner of a farm of two hundred acres, and also of town property.
Dr. Augustus R. Knapp, deceased, was born in Connecticut in 1801. When young, he moved to Delaware county, N.Y., and was educated for a physician in New York city. He was married in Schoharie county, in 1822, to Catherine Wyckoff, and the following year moved to New York city, where he practiced medicine until 1839. At that date he came to Illinois, and located at Kane, in Greene county, where he practiced his profession five years. He then moved to Jerseyville. Here he had an extensive practice. He was a member of the constitutional convention of 1847, to revise the constitution of Illinois. In 1849 he went to California, where he remained for a time, in search of gold, in which he was quite successful. Dr. and Mrs. Knapp had five children. Charles A., who was educated for a physician, went to California, where he died in 1856; Jane A., married to H. O. Goodrich; Anthony L., who was a lawyer; Robert M., and George H., now a practicing physician of St. Louis. These children all received the benefits of a good education, and all of the sons became professional men, two studying law and two medicine. Dr. Knapp died in Jerseyville, July 13, 1862. Mrs. Knapp survived her husband until February 1868.
Dr. Charles A. Knapp, deceased, was born in Blenheim, N.Y., July 21, 1823. He studied medicine with his father, and afterwards took a medical course and graduated from McDowell College in St. Louis. He commenced practice at Kane, Ill. in 1847. Two years later he came to Jerseyville and took the practice of his father, who then went to California, and continued here until 1854. Then, on account of feeble health, he migrated to California, where he died in 1856. He was married in 1850 to Caroline Whitney, who survived him about 20 years. They had two children, Elnora and George A.
Joseph Ormond Hamilton, M.D., deceased, was born in Monroe county, Ill., April 2, 1824. He is the youngest child of Thomas M. and Alpha Hamilton. Thomas M. Hamilton was a son of Captain Nathaniel Hamilton, who commanded a company of Green Mountain boys during the Revolutionary war. Thomas was born in Rutland, Vt., of Scotch and English parentage, ans was reared in Ohio, where his parents emigrated about 1797. In the spring of 1818 he moved with his family to Illinois, landing at Harrisonville, on the east bank of the Mississippi river, on the first day of May. He located at what is now New Design, Monroe county, four miles southwest of Waterloo. On May 9, 1831, he moved to the present limits of Jersey county, settling on a tract of land in T7, R12, where he followed farming during the remainder of his life. Dr. Hamilton attended school first in Monroe county, then at the stone school house built at Otterville through the munificence of Dr. Silas Hamilton. In 1843 he became a student at the Ohio University at Athens, O., remaining there two years. He then commenced the study of medicine with Dr. Silas Parker. The latter moving from Athens, he continued his studies with Dr. William Blackstone. In 1845 he came to Jerseyville and practiced under Dr. James C. Perry, who was originally from Scotland, and a gentleman of fine attainments. Dr. Hamilton practiced with him one year, after which he located in Calhoun county. In 1846 he returned to Jersey county and taught school, in what was locally known as Buttermilk academy on Sec. 2, T7, R11. The following year he went to Louisiana and obtained a situation as teacher, after waiting for them to build a school house, which was constructed of gum logs, sawn by negro power. He taught in Tensas parish, on Tensas river, receiving for his services, $35 per month in gold, board included. In 1849 he returned to Jersey county and attended lectures at the Medical University of Missouri, graduating on March 4, 1850, and commenced practice at Grafton. May 1, 1851 he was married to Margaret Perry, daughter of Dr. Perry, of Jerseyville. They had six children, three of whom are deceased, and one daughter and two sons are yet living. In 1852 he entered into partnership with his father-in-law, with whom he practiced until January 1853. Dr. Perry died in 1858. Dr. Hamilton’s death occurred Aug. 21, 1882. He was one of the most celebrated physicians in the west. Some of his essays have been incorporated in the transactions of the American Medical Association and can be found in the volumes of 1870 and 1872. He was elected president of the Illinois Medical Society, convened at Peoria in May 1871, being the first native president from Illinois. He attended as delegate, the American Medical Association at the cities of Cincinnati, New Orleans, Washington, Philadelphia and San Francisco. In 1867 he was appointed surgeon for the United States pension office of this district, and acted as examining surgeon for six of the most prominent insurance companies of the United States. He was a man of great ability and untiting industry, and performed many difficult surgical operations with perfect success. He was highly appreciated at home, as well as abroad, being popular with all classes, who regarded him as a skillful physician and a gentleman of the highest moral worth and principle.
Dr. John S. Williams, physician at Otterville, was born in Simpson county, Ky., in 1839, where he remained until fourteen years of age. He then moved with his mother, Lucinda (Salmonds) Williams, to Lincoln county, Mo., his father being dead. While living here John S. attended the high school at Truxton, Mo., then entered Iowa State University, at Keokuk, graduating from the medical department of that institution in 1865. During that year he had charge of a ward in the hospital, attending sick and wounded soldiers. He then came to Jersey county, and located at Otterville. Here he practiced his profession until 1870, then went to St. Louis and took a course of lectures at St. Louis Medical College, graduating in 1871, after which he returned to Otterville where he has since remained engaged in the practice of his profession. Doctor Williams has won an enviable reputation as a physician and has an extended and remunerative practice. He was married in September 1867 to Millie Close, a native of Illinois. They had two children: Lucy E., who died in 1882, at the age of thirteen years; and Jesse Franklin, who died in infancy. Mrs. Williams died in January 1873. In December of the same year Doctor Williams was married to Maggie Blaikstock, a native of Wisconsin. By this union there were two children: one died an infant, and Dalton Hall, now living. Doctor Williams owns four hundred and twelve acres of land, and a residence in Otterville. He is a member of the State Medical Socity, and of the American Medical Association, also of the I.O.O.F., and the Masonic fraternity. He is one of the board of education, and has been coroner two terms, during which he kept the first coroner’s record ever kept in this county.
James A. Flautt, M.D. was born in Maryland in 1848, and is a son of James M. and Ann C. (Althoff) Flautt, the former, a native of Pennsylvania, and the latter of Maryland. When he was quite young, his parents moved to Ohio, then to Wisconsin in 1855. He remained in the latter state until the spring of 1870, when he went to Alton, Ill. Four years later he moved to Jerseyville, and lived there also four years, after which he came to Otterville. Dr. Flautt was educated in the graded schools of Reedsburg, Wis., and at St. Joseph, O. He attended medical college at Keokuk, Ia., where he graduated in 1881. He began his medical studies with Dr. Williams, of this county, in 1878. After graduating he located permanently at Otterville, where he is now engaged in the practice of his chosen profession. Although a comparatively new comer here, Dr. Flautt has gained the reputation of being a skillful practitioner, and has a lucrative practice. He was married Sept. 21, 1872 to Mary A. Deming, a native of this county; they have one child, Charles Edward, born August 5, 1883. Dr. Flautt owns 240 acres of land in Christian county, and 60 acres in Jersey county, all improved; also a fine residence property in Otterville. He is a member of the A. F. & A. M., and also of the I.O.O.F. As a citizen he is popular and esteemed.
Austin F. Slover, M.D., a practicing physician of Elsah township, resided on the northeast quarter of Sec. 11. He was born in Middletown, Butler county, O., June 4, 1828. In 1836 he went to Delaware county, Ind., where he obtained his education, and remained until 1850; at that date he came to Jersey county, Ill., and located at Jerseyville. Here he was married in 1853 to Mary E. Freeman, daughter of Dr. J. D. Freeman, of Jerseyville. She was born in Rochester, N.Y. in 1832, and died Jan. 28, 1857, leaving one child, Mary E., who was born Jan. 18, 1857. She is now married, and is living in Mississippi township, Jersey county, Ill. Dr. Slover was married in 1866 to Mrs. Agnes McAdams, and by this union has six children: Nancy J., wife of Marion Coonrod, of Elsah township; Josephine, Robert L., Ann Louisa, Alice, Willard and Abel. In addition to his medical practice, Dr. Slover is engaged in raising small fruits and vegetables. He is a democrat in politics.
A. D. Erwin, M.D., was born near Rockbridge, Greene county, on March 21, 1858, his parents being A. D., Sr., and Malinda (Hill) Erwin. In 1864 his parents moved to Jerseyville, where they have since continued to reside. They gave him his preliminary education in the common and high schools of Jerseyville, and he then commenced the study of medicine with Dr. A. K. Van Horne, of the same town. He studied with him two years, reading medicine, and afterward attended two full courses of lectures at the Missouri Medical College in St. Louis, where he graduated in 1882. After completing his medical education, he commenced the actual practice of medicine at Bluffdale, Greene county, whre he continued until coming to Fidelity in the spring of 1884. He was married in Jerseyville on May 9, 1884 to Tillie Davis, of that town. He devotes his entire mind and attention to his business and is making a success in his chosen profession.
Dr. J. Tidball, one of the prominent physicians of Jersey county, is located in the picturesque town of Grafton. He is a native of Ohio, born in 1848, and is the son of John and Mary L. (Richmond) Tidball. The doctor remained in the state of his nativity until 1864, when he emigrated to Mercer county, Ill. In 1868 he moved to Monmouth, Warren county, this state, where he attended college until 1871. He then, to fit himself for his life’s labor, attended the medical department of the Michigan University at Ann Arbor, and graduated from that noble institution in 1874, with high honors. The doctor then commenced the practice of medicine, but three years later, with a devotion to his honored profession, he resolved to still further pursue his studies in the same, under competent instructors, to the end that he might attain greater eminence therein. He therefore proceeded to New York city and, entering the Bellevue Hospital Medical College, devoted himself to the study of surgery and medicine. He graduated from this noted surgical training school in 1878, his attendance there being chiefly to avail himself of the unparalleled facilities afforded there for the closer study of practical surgery. On quitting the classic walls of this latest alma mater, he moved to Grafton, in this county, where he has already built him up a large, lucrative and constantly increasing practice. As a scholar and a physician he takes rank with any in this section of this state, while as a genial companion and bedside visitor he has but few peers. He was united in marriage in 1874 with Ellen Montgomery, also a native of Ohio. The doctor is in politics a republican, is a member of both the I.O.O.F. and A. F. & A. M. societies.
Dr. James F. Gary, practicing physician of Delhi, located here in the spring of 1878. He is the son of Thomas and Sarah (Rives) Gary, both of whom were born near Frankfort, Ky., and are now living in Greenfield, Greene county, Ill. The subject of this sketch was born in Macoupin county, March 4, 1852. He grew to manhood in his native county, receiving a liberal education. After completing his literary studies he engaged in teaching school two years, and in the meantime commenced the study of medicine. He thn entered the office of Dr. J. Lane, at Barr’s Store, Macoupin county, where he pursued his medical studies one year, after which he went to St. Louis and entered the American Medical College, taking a two years’ course at that institution, graduating in 1878. He had, during this time, commenced the practice of his profession at Jerseyville, but previous to his graduation located at Delhi, where he now has an extensive and highly remunerative practice, and has gained the reputation of being one of the most skillful as well as one of the most successful physicians of Jersey county. He was married in Delhi, Oct. 10, 1882 to Mary Ingles, a daughter of Frederick Ingles, of Alton. They have one daughter, Etta, born July 27, 1883. Dr. Gary is a member of teh State Eclectic Association, also of the Knights of Honor, No. 1129, of Jerseyville.
Dr. Wesley Park was born in Luray, Licking county, Ohio on November 19, 1833, his parents being Samuel and Lethe A. (Belt) Park. When quite young our subject moved with his parents to Granville, Licking county, where he received his education in the common schools of that place. When 16 years of age he attended the academy for one year, when he entered into a course of study at the Granville College. At the age of 19 he commenced the study of medicine with Dr. Spellman. He came to Marshall, Clark county, Ill. where his parents had previously moved and established their home. Wesley continued his course under the care of Dr. J. L. Duncan, about one year, when he commenced the course of lectures. In 1861 he was appointed acting assistant-surgeon with the 79th Ill. Infy. His regiment was nearly annihilated at the battle of Murfreesboro, Tenn., and he was then assigned to the general hospital at Vicksburg, having charge of the same for the remainder of the three years of service, with the exception of the time he was held a captive. He was captured by the Confederates and taken as a prisoner to Jackson, Miss. He was taken to Cahawba, where he was released and sent back to Vicksburg. After the war he remained about one year in the south, and on December 31, 1865, he came to Jersey county, Ill., and practiced medicine until the winter of 1866, when he attended the Chicago Medical College, and there graduated. He then practiced in Fieldon, Ill. until 1871, when he went to Philadelphia to attend the Jefferson Medical College of that city. He graduated in 1873, and has practiced since that time in Fieldon. Dr. Park is a member of the Odd Fellows order, and was a charter member of Fieldon lodge No. 592, A. F. & A. M., of which lodge he has been worshipful master for 11 years out of the 15 of its existence. He was married in Crawford county, Ill., on January 4, 1855, to Miss J. E. Ward. They have three children: Arthur F., George C. and Frederick W.
C. G. Buffington, practicing physician and surgeon, was born in Jerseyville, Jersey county, Ill. on May 22, 1858. He is the son of Joseph H. and Francis (Gordon) Buffington. His father was a native of Philadelphia, Penn., his mother of Edwardsville, Ill. His father emigrated to this state in 1837, settling in Jerseyville. He was the oldest physician in that city at the time of his death. Our subject was in the drug business with his brother at Indianola, Warren county, Iowa, about three years before he entered college. In 1881 he graduated at the Missouri Medical College at St. Louis, where he attended a two year’s course of lectures. He then returned to Jerseyville, but did not locate for about a year after graduating. In 1882 he selected Fieldon as the most suitable place for the practice of his profession, and has remained there since. He was appointed county physician for Jersey county in 1882. His practice has been increasing every year until it now extends over Jersey, Greene and Calhoun counties, and is one of the largest and most lucrative of any in the county, and although he is the youngest in the profession he stands among the first.
E. F. Francis, M.D., practicing physician at East Newbern, Mississippi township, Jersey county, Ill., was born in Monmouth county, N.Y., June 3, 1845. He is a son of Richard I. and Susanna (Carr) Francis. He remained with his parents until he arrived at the age of 18 years, when he left home to complete his studies. He obtained his literary education at the high school at Shelbyville, Ind., Battleground College, in Tippecanoe county of the same state, and at Hartsville University. He then studied medicine at the Ohio Medical College, Cincinnati, and afterwards spent one year at the Indiana College of Physicians and surgeons from which institution he graduated, with the highest honors in 1876. He enlisted in 1864 in the 37th regiment of Indiana infantry, and was transferred to the 87th regiment, serving until the close of the war. He participated in the march through Georgia, taking part in the engagements of that memorable campaign. Dr. Francis was married Feb. 18, 1882 to Carrie Jane Chambers, daughter of Jacob and Margaret (Ridgway) Chambers. He is well qualified for the practice of his chosen profession and during his residence in Newbern, has won the reputation of a skillful physician, and established an extensive and lucrative practice.
S. M. Watson, M.D., was born on Jan. 26, 1845 at LaGrange, Mo. He remained with his parents while they lived. His mother was taken with an attack of cholera and died in August 1873. His father’s death was caused by cancer of the face in May 1876. Both are buried in the cemetery at Delhi, Jersey county. He lives on the northwest quarter of Sec. 12, in Mississippi township. He was united in marriage with Emma J. Howell on Oct. 13, 1869 by Rev. Wm. Hill, of Jerseyville. They have a family of six children: James M., born July 31, 1870; Charles S., born August 1, 1872; John W., born Oct. 29, 1874; Mary a., Born Oct. 29, 1874; Mary, one of the twins died August 6, 1875; Emma G., born August 29, 1876; and Jennie M., born April 18, 1880. Mrs. Watson was born at Godfrey, Ill. on Feb. 18, 1845.
Dr. A. A. Barnett came to Jerseyville in 1862, where he has remained in practice ever since. He is a native of New York, and is a graduate of the medical department of the university at Louisville, Ky., of the class of 1853, and has been in practice ever since.